Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who is buying new for the new year or even in the new year and what are you getting?

Options
  • 07-11-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So who is is getting a new car in 2022?

I am getting a new electric bike myself. Thought I would have had it by now but it will be 22 before I have it now. Made a balls of ordering it the first time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Hopefully grabbing an Ioniq 5 and switching to Electric 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Have a GLA ordered for delivery towards the end of Q1 2022.

First automatic and will in all likelihood be my last ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No but I bought a 1000hp fast car in June. Did I type that right, no! I meant I bought a 100hp slow car in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Missus has a T-Roc on order 1.5 petrol, VW seemed to be throwing the standard kit at it as i think they were wrapping up production on it for now.

Got R-Line exterior and heated leather added to the standard Sport spec.

Ticked a few boxes then, black roof and pillars, pan roof, keyless and reverse cam.

It's a re PCP, 3.9%, payments stayed the same with no deposit handing back a 2.5 year old Golf R-Line diesel with 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The new Golf is pure ugly with an awful interior. A big step down in quality from mk7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

lets see how many other threads you can shoehorn this post into. I count 2 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One of these? :)

As for myself, the missus still hasn't got a driving test date so no sign of her taking my car off my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Audi Q4 etron... on order for three months and maybe January delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Not doing too bad. I ordered a gti clubsport 5 months ago and it’s currently expected to be here in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

He's not wrong though - it is a massive step backwards from the Mk7 inside. To be fair, it's far from the only modern car with a crappy interior - everything seems to be switching over to touch screen nonsense. Ironic given that new cars are supposed to be safer than older ones.

• Advertisement

Don't use your phone while driving but it's alright to be looking at a big tablet trying to change the temperature inside your car. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Spot on.

Mrs Blogs has a 202 reg. Its all touch screen so i can't simply teach for a dial and turn up or down the heating. If i want to change the radio i need another menu.

Meanwhile i can do all that without looking in my 14 year old runabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

Yes that may be so and he could easily have said those things. IMO the posts were just **** posting trying to get reactions from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I was of the same thinking before going to test one tbf. Now I think the mk8 looks better inside and out. The climate controls are definitely stupid though.

The volume slider is nearly perfect though. The harder it is for my passenger to change the volume the better..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Agreed 100%. Utter insanity. Even BMW are moving to touch screens now - and no, the fact that the stupid touch screens always show the climate control temperature does not mean it's OK to get rid of the buttons.

The whole point of something new is that it is better than what went before it, that's patently not true with a lot of newer cars - they're heavier (exacerbated by the move towards SUVs and EVs), have loads of rubbish we don't need like all the so-called 'driver assist systems' (whatever happened to people using their brains behind the wheel?), have worse exhaust notes (if they even are lucky enough to have a real engine) or fake noises pumped through the cabin thanks to all the emissions rules, and worst of all, they all have damn touchscreens which I find incredibly distracting and an absolute pain in the neck to use when I'm driving. I find a lot of the so called driver aids very annoying, too, and I will turn them off.

With buttons it's simple muscle memory, or something like BMW's iDrive, such systems give you all the technology and infotainment, but crucially it's all still with buttons and is not distracting at all to use the key functions.

And simple things like lighting are better in old cars; BMW stopped using the red-orange backlighting firstly in the instrument cluster (which was bad enough) and then altogether in the iX monstrosity. There's a reason planes use this colour - because it's been scientifically shown to minimise driver distraction at night (indeed that's why BMW put it in all their cars from the 60s onwards), and if you drive an old BMW with the red-orange backlighting back to back with a car with white backlighting, or worse still, blue backlighting (there's a reason ambulances and other emergency vehicles use this colour), you'd really notice how much more those colours distract you at night than the red-orange BMW used to use.

There's more and more cost cutting, too, on all the bits you can't see but on things that make a difference to the driving experience; note how BMW now uses front wheel drive rather than rear wheel drive and 50:50 weight distribution in the 1 and 2 series, the Merc A-class no longer has independent rear suspension, and VW Group MEB cars only have drum brakes at the rear, yet we're told EVs are supposed to be more cutting edge than ICE cars!

To top it all off, cars are outrageously expensive these days. Nothing lasts forever but I'd rather keep an old car going when it does many of the basics like ergonomics better than what's out there today, and costs far less to buy, if not always to run.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm changing my 2012 BMW 5 Series, but still no closer to what that will be.

Might be another 5 Series, might be an A6 or A7... still working it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Strongly thinking of a petrol Octavia VRS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Should finally be getting my hands on a 300zx before next year is out. A few on the retro groups over here are looking to move them on so my time is near! Unfortunately that means selling off a couple of my current ones, and I can't bear to part with them! So easy to buy new ones, not as easy to move them along. Terrible affliction!

EDIT: Sorry, just read back that this is for new cars, apologies! Definitely none of them on the horizon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

I put a deposit down on a Kia EV6. Probs have to wait until march for it. I'm moving from an MX5 ND so will be a huge change.

Hopefully I'm not disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Also going for Kia EV6. No delivery date, but in no rush, most likely March time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is an MX5 ND? I know what an MX5 is just no idea about the ND part.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s a bit OT, but I thought I’d comment, in case anyone is looking at the mk8 golf!

We changed a mk7.5 201 to a mk8 211 and without any doubt it’s a better car. We had 2 mk7’s before that too.

vs the mk7.5:

wireless apple CarPlay! It’s instant and seamless and the Siri integration is perfect.

The adaptive cruise with lanekeep assist has gotten better with every iteration.

The blind spot monitor and cameras work great and are actually useful, picking up kids on bikes from miles away as you reverse out of the drive.

The cabin is quieter and the sound system is crisper.

the virtual cockpit has better resolution and more configurable.

The wireless charging pad is a handy addition.

The my connect app is new and useful and will improve for sure. Sending Google maps destinations to the apply CarPlay is v useful

Even the auto dim xenon lights work far better than the mk7.5. Almost no-one gets blinded now :)

the car drives better too.

but hey the touch buttons for the climate are a faff youll quickly get use to, and it’s not as pretty, so it’s a sh1t car 😂

Same as myself.. I sold the MX5 in august and bought myself a mark 2 golf GTI as a run around... It's freezing to drive on these cold mornings though.. looking forward to some "luxury"!

Did you get the GT Line and what colour? (I went GT Line

yacht blue myself)

Well it's really my wife's car, she went for Gravity Blue in the end. She had a very strong preference for the lighter interior of the Earth model so went for that model. Plus it's questionable how much use she'd get from some of the extra's on the GT line. Her current car has a panoramic sunroof which is only used when kids ask for it to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would love an EV6 but strongly tempted by the new Sportage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye the new Sportage is nice and if KIA have done it right should have some really good quality materials inside unlike the EV6 which is very disappointing inside. I suppose they have to cut costs somewhere do. It was in my local Kia showroom the Thursday and Friday gone but I never got down to it raging. It will be in showrooms in January anyway.

Only way to know is to try them both so maybe you may wait till the new year although Kia are doing deals on the new Sportage if you order one now but they are not cheap anymore getting expensive they are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Interior dash of new Sportage is very similar to EV6, certainly the flat screens, heater control panel and gear selector etc all very similar. I agree that the prices of the current and probably new Sportage are getting a little saucy for what you are getting. However, having owned 2 of them they are a fine car.

The exterior design on the front of the Sportage takes some getting used to, maybe it's very colour dependent too. My wife might have gone for the new Sportage but no electric option plus Europe gets the shorter European model rather than the longer rest of the world model really put me off. I think the longer model is much better proportioned and overall just looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I have a new fiesta st ordered should hopefully have it by April. Fingers crossed.

Ordered it in mean green too.

Advertisement