Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do people make of this overhanging [public] building?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Did the incident take place on a rainy night?

post #2 asks that question and the OP dodges it in his reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The OP isn't exactly being 100% sincere I don't think anyway.

This thread surely belongs in the motors forum as it's a motors issue.

He's trying to throw some secondary argument that the building shouldn't overhang in case a truck hits it. On the little research I've done, basically trying to find the speed limit on the road, but it looks like trucks are banned from the majority of the roads so it's a moot point.

Also the entrance to this particular road is extremely narrow in my opinion you'd be hard pressed to get anything larger than a "white goods delivery van" through it. So again reinforcing the moot point.

He made a mistake he hit a footpath, own it and move on.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The overhead maps view shows how much the building overhangs the road, its actually quite considerable.

Also going back to 2009 it appears there was a gate at that location, it seems that this path exists purely to allow pedestrians get to the open area in front of the building, would have made much more sense to open directly onto that area and leave the road un obstructed.

OP I'd bring a claim, whats the worst that can happen? Especially if someone else has already raised the same concern, same with pot holes, if the council have received a previous complaint then that changes their liability I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The OP needs to pay better attention to their driving, saying they did not see the footpath / kerb is just not good enough, they didn't see it because they weren't looking.

Why do we have traffic cones and warning signs so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Don't know you'd get two punctured tyres hitting that kerb?

Very poor building design there. Look back at the old Google Maps images from 2009. Clean run up that road.

How did they get away with cantilevering that over the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the overhang of the building has no bearing on the OP hitting the kerb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

these don't absolve people of the requirement to pay attention to where they're driving their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just went up the full length of that O'Rahilly Street on the Streetview. It's a fairly tight stretch in the run up to the council building. Not sure what the speed limit is but I'd reckon the council would make the case that it would be well below the requirement to blow two tyres.

I'd agree with other posters that the overhang of the building is pretty poor. If you're making a case OP, go with the overhead map view, it looks particularly bad. I don't know why they didn't angle the glass structure in a couple of feet on the O'Rahilly side to bring it inside the boundary wall. Looks like a Dermot Bannon glass box special....

• Advertisement

what bearing does the overhang have on the OP hitting the kerb?

if the OP had deflected their steering wheel a little to the right they wouldn't be in this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the building is grand. Its the car parked on the right hand side that is the problem. You should be suing the owner of that car

Ah they were too mesmerized by the overhang 😂😂😂

• Advertisement

Super, so now that we have covered what they are not for, can you answer my question as to what they are for, why are they needed?

The assumption is that the curb exists to protect the overhang.

I would have assumed it was for pedestrians to stand on as they crossed from the NAC building to the castle grounds and vice versa.

Also the footpath on the other side of the road that gives access to residential housing.

There is a pedestrian access point there.

the kerb exists to protect pedestrians entering the building.

There is all manner of frontage onto an existing open pedestrian space that could have avoided this step in the roadway.

It also doesnt appear that that is the entrance to anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Probably none, I'm not sure there is any case at all given the expected speed for that street whatever the limit may be. The overall project finish in that location could be questioned. As it stands the curb is not really well thought out/highlighted properly. It looks like an after thought to stop trucks etc. catching the structure jutting out. If its a traffic island, it should be painted to clearly identify it to oncoming traffic.

There possibly are, but the footpath "island" was chosen. On the lead up to it there's yellow hatching and there's double yellow lines around it.

Do people drive not paying attention to road markings?

It's an entrance to the pedestrian square, there's public toilets there, parking around the perimeter of the square, so fairly touristy.

So the "island" gives a save place to cross from one tourist attraction to another.

You could spend the day giving alternatives.

The OP hit a footpath, his fault no one else's.

i will say though that whoever painted the double yellow lines needs to go on some sort of remedial course.

i don't see the conflation i presume you are suggesting, between their provision to try to reduce the number of people driving into stationary objects, and their lack somehow absolving people of responsibility of driving into stationary objects (especially in the daylight).

i cannot sue the council if i crash into somebody because traffic lights are non-functional, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

In July 2018 there were warning signs....... in 2021 they were not there...

So the island is safer than the pedestrian exit/entrance to the public area that it abuts?

People do observe road markings, but people are, not unsurprisingly, not expecting a piece of pavement to appear out of now-where without any warning.

Would you consider it acceptable to have a 1m wide hole in the middle of the road, so long as it has some yellow hatching around it?

Clearly this "island" is an issue as the close up shows evidence of multiple impacts. Its very atypical to have an island such as this without any sort of sign warning or graduated incursion into the roadway, they are not just lumps of concrete dumped into the roadway.

I'm suggesting that the reason there are warning signs is to warn of a hazard, this hazard indeed had warnings that have seen been removed. They should be replaced to they can do their job, again as evidenced by the multiple impacts to the curb.

There's a massive difference between a hole in the middle of a traffic lane and an obstruction on the side of the lane.

Personally when I'm driving on a one way road I drive close to centre.

I wouldn't drive hugging a wall, there could be all types of obstructions that you miss until you are on top of them, from rubbish bags, hubcaps , a dead animal etc all things that I don't fancy driving over.

If it was a dark rainy night then I'd be more sympathetic but on a clear sunny day? Nah OP wasn't watching where he was going or his reflexes are shockingly bad that he couldn't brake in time to save the back wheel nevermind the front.

Your fault for not driving with due care and attention - which is an offence by the way.

• Advertisement

You would hit that island even driving close to the centre, you might notice that the right hand side is parking, so there is no difference. Would you be ok with a hole where the island is?

btw if the curb is unsafe on a dark stormy night then the curb is unsafe, end of.

the right hand side is double yellow lines. the car parked there is the OPs apparently.

Its a mix of double yellows and car park spaces, you clean clearly see this in post #77 and google street view (giveaway is the cars parked there, the signs with the parking details and the car parking spaces in white...)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/K62KGYYL6TOA/streetview-jul-2018.png

double yellows on the ground are not that visible, hence why typically the curb itself will be painted...

not at the point where the kerb is. there is plenty of room to avoid the kerb. it is clearly visible.

there are three impacts to the curb that i can see. given the OP blew both tyres out, it's quite feasible that two of these were caused by him. maybe the previous one was the one which knocked the wand out.

Oh would you give over on the hole. Holes by their nature are difficult to see as they are flush with the road.

If it was a ditch and the OP went into it I'd still be saying the same.....you weren't paying attention.

The kerb is a stationary concrete object. The width of the road at that point is wide there's no need to be hugging the wall.

And yeah on a dark stormy night things are more difficult to notice. You will have your wipers going, rain hitting the windscreen more surface water on the road, decrease in visibility etc. So while you adjust your speed accordingly you still may not see everything, which is how accidents happen.

On a clear day it's not an accident but rather carelessness.

So holes are difficult to see as they are flush with the road...and the yellow lines that are on the road are not?

The curb blends into the path, its easy to miss it when driving up the road and paying attention to the cars that are parked immediately before and after this island. This is why, when designed properly, they have signage/cones/barriers and are painted.

Would you "give over" on hugging the wall? The curb is well into the usable road way.

So you are agreed that its a hazard, albeit at night, in which case it should have signage etc, which is the OPs point. In fact its why it originally had said signage, the council should be maintaining these safety features.

if you think that kerb is easy to miss then I think a trip to specsavers is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Fundamentally, if you hit that curb, you're not driving with due care and attention. The OP trying to point the finger at the council or planners is cringe-worthy. If you saw that accident happen, you'd think the driver was drunk or blind. If a guard saw it, it would be a careless driving charge. Invisible yellow lines is a new one on me!

So why did it initially have not one but two warning posts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Why should there be compensation? The yellow lines & kerb is clear as day in the photograph. OP still drove into it & burst 1 but not 2 tyres, No mean feat in itself.

Next thing we'll be compensating people for walking into walls or cashing into parked cars "Your honor, there was no warning sign on that wall / stationary vehicle"

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭chooseusername

And it's legally parked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(well, nearly)

If op is to claim against co. council he better have all his ducks in a row re. uk reg. car in ireland,

NCT/MOT, VRT, insurance, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think that's a bad assumption. The overhang is minor, despite OPs claims.

The right side is not parking at the island. If somebody can't see line marks they shouldn't be on the road.

This is a narrow laneway. If they are driving at a suitable speed, it should be easy to see the island and navigate it. Roads change direction all the time. You are making out that the island appeared suddenly.

It's a bad road layout. But OP not negotiating it safely is his fault. If he blew two tyres, he was absolutely going too fast

• Advertisement

Great, so then it would just have a minor impact with a truck, that'd be grand.

A narrow laneway? Its two lanes wide other than the curb-island and the odd parking space. It cant be both narrow and the island be grand. There is zero need for that island, its poorly designed and wouldnt have been accepted if it was a private build.

BTW you could easily blow two tires with a glancing blow that shreds the two side walls, its not necessary to Dukes of Hazard style right over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are probably thousands of cars who drive down that lane every week and manage to not crash into that kerb and burst 2 tyres

The op should take the chance to learn a valuable life lesson. Slow down, and watch where you're going when you're driving a 2 tonne hunk of steel around narrow town streets.

a truck could just as easily avoid the overhand as a car would the kerb. the island is there because of the pedestrian entrance so it is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't look like the overhand is significantly over the boundary, obviously limited photos to go off. But there is a wall between the building and the road. So if a truck is going hit the overhang, they'd be also crashing into the wall even if the overhang isn't there. So they hit the building either way.

Trucks typically don't drive down laneways for obvious reasons.

A narrow laneway? Its two lanes wide other than the curb-island and the odd parking space. It cant be both narrow and the island be grand. There is zero need for that island, its poorly designed and wouldn't have been accepted if it was a private build.

Two lanes wide? You might need your eyes tested. It's a single one-way laneway.

Here is the entry. Very narrow.

This is the straight section up to the building. Also narrow with a terrible parking arrangement.

The parking spaces stop at the building as there is and entrance opposite. There is only ever one lane with no parking at that point.

I agree its badly designed. I said so on the first page. It was badly designed before the island. Encouraging the flow of traffic along a dwarf wall is terrible design, especially when they'll be taking a left at the end into a wall they can see. The single park spots are a hazard. They should have lost them, and the island been an usable path. The road is central away from the walls, the whole thing would be safer than current or previous.

But we drive on roads as they are, not how they should be. And if you are driving down a laneway like that, between buildings and parked cars, you pay attention.

BTW you could easily blow two tires with a glancing blow that shreds the two side walls, its not necessary to Dukes of Hazard style right over the top.

Yup you could. But we're not talking about what could hypothetically happen. We're talking about what actually happened. OP drove over kerb, Dukes of Hazard style, as you put it.

I hadn't looked back up the lane to the entrance. it really is very narrow. No trucks going down there for sure, a van is the biggest thing you could get down there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement