Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you believe happens when we die

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Have no idea but don't have any doubt God exists.

They better have a good steakhouse with a decent selection of Bordeaux wines - I’ll be happy out then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But the question is then, which god.

Like knowing what happens after death, if you think a god exists then you can't know for certain which god.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

I believe in the Christian God. Hard to explain why but I believe it's bona fide. Still have no idea what happens afterward but believe there is a god outside of our space and time, but also omnipresent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Somehow everywhere but somehow also nowhere...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Like, oddly both omnipotent and impotent, simultaneously and for all time.

I believe she might want to be known as "they".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's one of these things that sounds profound but I'll bet you couldn't explain what it actually means.

Dan Dennette calls it a deepity. It sounds profound but it's actually meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I chose other.

All we are is molecules and atoms. When we die. The universe just absorbs us back. They might become lots of different things.

I like to think this as it makes it easier when a loved one dies. Specially when explain to kids.

• Advertisement

That's much more satisfying than making up imaginary heavens and hells because it's actually true. A bit like the circle of life in The Lion King. Its exciting to think about it in reverse and wonder what you're made up of.

Bill Bryson talks about it in a short history of everything:

"Because they are so long-lived, atoms really get around. Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms—up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested—probably once belonged to Shakespeare. A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name. (The personages have to be historical, apparently, as it takes the atoms some decades to become thoroughly redistributed; however much you may wish it, you are not yet one with Elvis Presley.) So we are all reincarnations—though short-lived ones. When we die our atoms will disassemble and move off to find new uses elsewhere—as part of a leaf or other human being or drop of dew. Atoms, however, go on practically forever."

From: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8912984-because-they-are-so-long-lived-atoms-really-get-around-every

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmmm, seems like romantic fantasy from where I'm sitting. The notion that Shakespeare has been globally redistributed such that every person on the planet has a constituent number of billions of the bards atoms would take some proving. Worth remembering that vast quantities of organic material goes nowhere and does not get recycled as more organisms, e.g. think of fossil fuels. If we take the notion that we each have a few billion atoms of Genghis Khan for example, firstly I'd be interested in seeing the statistic that suggests somebody buried in 13th century China would share matter of some kind with me and by extension every one else. Say that were the case, the direct implication is that I share matter with every other person that ever lived more than a certain time ago, and similarly every other reasonably large animal or plant. The same would need to hold true for everyone else alive today. Not convinced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on how you define shakespeare, as in, what constituted shakespeare's body or part of it. if you're merely talking about what constituted his body and was buried when he *died*, then i suspect you're correct, in the same sense that your fossils analogy makes.

however, having 'been part' of shakespeare is much more broad. matter he ingested and then exhaled as CO2 and water, etc., and all other aspects of what could have been part of his body over the course of his life, widens the net colossally. eye-wateringly so.

I suppose the difference between Bryson's claim and religious claims - you can actually check the veracity of Bryson's claim. i don't actually know if it's true or not. He could be incorrect but the reason he said it will have been based on the evidence rather than a "just so" claim of the religious.

Worth noting that Bryson is talking about atoms not whole substances. So atoms can break off and replace each other without the substance changing.

True, but to take Shakespeare as a specific example demands that the same be true of every other person who predeceased him. To say that 'you' contain a few billion such atoms, similarly implies the same is true for everyone. Thus for the statement to hold true, every person would have to have a few billion atoms from every other person that predeceased them by a certain number of years. Not only that, but unless we can figure out why this is a specifically human phenomenon, the same would have to hold true for every other similarly sized animal. While I could accept it to be true in specific instances, I rather doubt it is generally true for every instance. I'd like to see the statistical arguments that support such a hypothesis.

Well yeah but they're not all exclusive. The same atoms could have been part of billions of organisms, plants, animals stars and all the rest before while on earth, and came from elsewhere in the universe before even arriving on earth.

It also doesn't suggest you have all these atoms at the same time as the atoms that make up you are always on the move. Every time you poop you release loads of atoms that were once part of you. Every time you shed skin cells or exhale, you're releasing billions of atoms that were once part of you.

• Advertisement

Still not entirely convinced that Bill has thought this one through. Take the statement "Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you" for example. The vast bulk of the material that constitutes our planet and everything on it has come from our sun. We understand that the sun however is a vast fusion reactor, it is continually making brand new atoms so the assertion that every atom you possess has passed through several stars seems specious.

Is it true that the vast bulk of the material that constitutes our planet and everything on it has come from our sun? I didn't know that.

I'd thought that it had, but googling shows it was more likely accretion from the same dust and gas cloud that formed the sun. Score one Bill :)

That said, if most stars are also creating new atoms through fusion, it seems less likely that most atoms have passed through several stars before we incorporate them.

It might depend on whether you consider them new or not. It might have a new name but the 2 atoms press together to create helium, its could be considered the same stuff in a different form (minus some energy). But I don't pretend to know.

We'd probably have to ask Bryson what exactly he meant and ask the relevant scientist what the actual facts are. Bryson's book was excellent but it would have been boring if it went into that much detail on every point.

Certainly seems to be a very popular book, but I'd wonder whether parts of it are factually dubious. A skim of reviews on goodreads suggests this could well be the case. And pedantically perhaps, if you combine a number of atoms of one thing to form an atom of another thing through a process of nuclear fusion, or split one atom into different atoms through nuclear fission, the result is new atoms (and maybe some energy). In your originally quoted paragraph, Bryson talks specifically about atoms, stuff can mean pretty much whatever you want to mean and is ambiguous by comparison.

Great thing about not being religious is we get to ask awkward questions about the good book, or about any good book for that matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think anyone ever claimed that it's a specifically human phenomenon, though. and the same concept for me containing X number of atoms that were once in shakespeare also holds true for shakespeare's barber, or whoever you wish to pick.

there are 10^26 atoms in a litre of water, and about 10^19 litres in the sea.

if you took one litre of water, poured it into the sea, and waited long enough for it to be mixed thoroughly through (let's call this shakespeare by extreme homeopathy), and then filled a jug with one litre of water - there'd be 10^7 atoms from the *original* litre in that jug.

given that probably tens of thousands of litres of water probably passed through shakespeare, it's probably trivial to claim theres X million or X billion atoms in my body which were once in his.

just thinking a little further, to reach a quantity of water where you can say 'there are as many atoms in this quantity of water, as there are these quantities of water in all the oceans', you're looking at less than a millilitre of water as far as i can see. the key is the mind boggling number of atoms there are in any normal scale amount of matter.

How long though would it take for one litre water to become evenly mixed throughout all the bodies of water on the planet, to the degree that any other litre would contains water molecules from that litre? On what basis are we assuming such an even redistribution would ever take place, not just in one instance but in every instance? Much like homoeopathy tablets, I would guess most litres of water don't contain any actual Shakespeare ;)

well, if you're arguing that not all water mixes evenly, i suspect the odds actually work against your proposition. in that shakespeare water (tm) is almost by definition surface water (i.e. water exhaled as part of respiration, or water excreted into surface water supplies) so more liable to mixing than water at the bottom of, say, the marianas trench.

but yes, you are correct. the mouthful of beer i have just ingested does not contain any actual shakespeare. he may have consumed many millions of those molecules in a mouthful of beer centuries before, but this does not make those molecules his.

I'd imagine any book that's as old as his would contain lots of science that's been superceded if not outright rejected in the meantime.

Then I'd probably ask you what percentage of atoms thst come from a star are new in the way you described and how many are intact just being recycled. Your point would stand if the atoms are all being destroyed and reformed through fusion but is that what actually happens? I don't pretend to know.

a lot of the heavier elements are formed in supernovae - our sun wouldn't have the energy levels high enough to produce much more than the very lightest elements, and i think you can only go up as far as roughly iron in red giants, before heavier atoms get formed in supernovae.

I agree that he may indeed have consumed many molecules in common with those of the beer you just consumed, but compare that to making a statement that he probably did or certainly did. There are many orders of magnitude here between possibility, probability and certainty. For certainty we require those millions of molecules to be present in every mouthful of liquid, morsel of food or even lungful of air taken by any person at any point in time we've allotted for the uniform disbursement of those molecules imbibed by Shakespeare to the global environment. That makes about a 10^10 difference between possibility and certainty (say 10 billion people). Now for this to hold, it holds not just for Shakespeare but everyone who predeceased him (say 1 billion people). That adds about another 10^9 difference, or 10^19 in total. This is before considering the same argument across the broader animal and plant kingdoms or the length of time to evenly distribute all the atoms that have come within an acceptable proximity of Shakespeare globally to the extent that they are everywhere. Going from possible (probability > 0) to probable (probability > 0.5) to certain (probability = 1) involves some pretty big jumps. We get a few divisions by two to drop from certain to probable, but that doesn't account for orders of magnitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Just sayin’. Them old hebrews were onto something when they theorized about that collision of Atom and Eve. Big bang happened there, apparently.

For certainty we require those millions of molecules to be present in every mouthful of liquid, morsel of food or even lungful of air taken by any person at any point in time we've allotted for the uniform disbursement of those molecules imbibed by Shakespeare to the global environment.

we don't need to assume those molecules were present in the mouthful of every other person who has ever existed.

it's simple probability - if there are 10^45 atoms in the 'available' liquid and vapour water on the planet, and you pull out a litre, add it again, assume uniform mixing, and then pull out a litre again; the second litre will have a significant number of atoms that were also present in the first sample.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's not that you pour a liter of water into the ocean and wait until its constituent quarks and higher-order structures distribute themselves slowly and evenly amongst the waters of the Earth, to be drunk by humans, or drunk by fish, caught by fishermen and eaten by consumers, but that - in addition to this - the seawater evaporates, returns over the land as clouds and supplies the water we drink and farm with. No idea how to estimate the relative transfer rates, but I'd imagine the second is far faster than the first.

• Advertisement

It's the 'assume uniform mixing' that I'd query there. You pour a litre of water into the Avon, how long roughly does it take for that liter to be evenly distributed across the planet's water supply, such that every liter likely to utilized in the formation of another person contains billions of atoms from the original source. How about an amount of water that Genghis peed into the Mongolian desert? Even then, we seem to be assuming that when talking about the atoms that Shakespeare or Genghis Khan possessed we're happy to include the sum total of their urination, feces and any other excretions over the course of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What about ghosts?? Surely if you can become a ghost when you die, for anyone who does unnatural be it gangland shot, beaten by spouse or other person, killed in a car crash by an act of stupidity by somebody else, then you would come back as a ghost and torture that person responsible for your death. Like boo hoo in dark rooms and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rather ironically, what Bryson says is a bit like a lot of religious ideas. They simply can't be proved.

So it's easy to spout them and sound clever.

The only argument against that would be of course that science will try to prove it's claims, and might get there eventually. But for now, I'd take that quote from Bryson with a massive pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nope. It comes from past stars that have died.

I suppose the big difference here is that we can tease any scientific assertion out with questions and refine our understanding as a result. What Bryson says may be reasonable on the basis of a number of broad assumptions and less so on others. I think the language he uses in this quote is misleading, so for example saying that we are "vigorously recycled at death" at an atomic level suggests to me he is talking about human remains specifically, as opposed say to various excretions over our life time. The other arguments here supporting Bryson's quote would suggest that if anything, we are more vigorously recycled during life. Either way, the notion of sharing atoms with Shakespeare or Genghis Khan to me seems very much like a romantic notion that isn't particularly meaningful, provable or of scientific value. I'd agree it does have that in common with a religious assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you believe what Bryson says, then by the same logic, we are also drinking Shakespeare and Khans pee everytime we drink water.

I'm reminded of the saying that every glass of tap water in London has already been through seven sets of kidneys...

It's also become apparent with coronavirus how much of what we inhale is the exhalations of others - especially in an enclosed space, bus, train etc. Yuck.

Every time you smell a fart, molecules have entered your body which only seconds before were up some other person's bottom.

Scrap the cap!

These sorts of deaths happen relatively frequently, but has even one credible instance of haunting ever occured...?

Scrap the cap!

well, yes. and dinosaur pee, etc. etc. the chances of taking a mouthful of water where a significant number of the water molecules haven't been peed (or excreted, or ejaculated, or what have you) by some human or animal at some point, are astronomically small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

And there has never been a ghost caught on camera. So makes me think there is no ghosts, spirits, afterlife and there is nothing after death.

The corona virus is an interesting analogy. Worth remembering that a virus is transmitted through organic self replication, using material from the infected cell for replication. It is not the same molecules of protein, nucleic acid etc... re-circulating, it is different new ones that are built from the host cells. Similarly in something like a fire or chain reaction you have a global configuration change across a large body of material over a short time frame but this doesn't involve the even redistribution of all the atoms in that material. In the case of MB's dinosaur pee, I have no issue with the notion that it has been re-ingested however many times by however many animals in most cases. My query is how we can we arrive at the conclusion that after a number of centuries we can be sure it has been re-ingested by every animal alive at that time and subsequently in all cases. As mentioned previously, this would involve each of us also ingesting the pee of every dinosaur and other animal that had predeceased Shakespeare in every litre of water we ingest. While our weather and tidal system may act as a great mixer, I'd still be keen to see the statistics (given this isn't something we can measure directly) that can provide confidence that this level of uniform mixing is achieved. We do know that some organic material doesn't get redistributed over this time frame (e.g. that which becomes fossil fuel), and we also speculate that some water is re-circulated more regularly than others. To my mind, this makes an assertion that demands uniform mixing at a global level over a period of a few centuries questionable. Given we're talking about atoms "vigorously recycled at death" we have a far bigger ask for Bryson's assertion to hold true. This isn't to say it is not true, I'm merely interested in understanding why we should accept that it is.

My query is how we can we arrive at the conclusion that after a number of centuries we can be sure it has been re-ingested by every animal alive at that time and subsequently in all cases.

just to clarify - what do you mean by 'it' here?

i am not suggesting that if you take a specific molecule of water, that you can state in any sense that it has been ingested by any one, any specific one, or all beings.

Bad wording on my part. By 'it', I'm specifically referring to the billion odd atoms that once were a constituent part of Shakespeare or Genghis Khan that were vigorously recycled following their deaths that are now part of you and I. By extension, I'm also referring to the similar samples from all other animal sources that would need to be present in every person for Bryson's assertion to hold true. My query relates to the vigorous post mortem recycling of atoms such that they have uniform redistribution across the entire animal kingdom to the degree required in the time frame required. The global even redistribution of water used over our life times may well be a thing, but I struggle to understand how we can put a time frame on it. The human remains of someone buried in Stratford on Avon in 1616 is more of a stretch, as are those of someone who died in Yinchuan in 1227. Again, it could well be the case, but at face value it seems like an extraordinary claim that seems reasonable to challenge as there appear to be some very large numbers in variables on both sides of the equation (and I doubt we even know what all of those variables are).

Personally, I think we derive more value from this type of pop science asking these types of questions than accepting everything at face value. I find Bryson questionable in this instance and hence am asking the questions.

As an aside, if we assume Bryson's quote to be true does this also mean that communion wafers include some actual bits of Jesus? 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're talking about diffusion, the process by which micro-particles impelled by Brownian motion diffuse through a fluid. Briefly, although Brownian motion (the motion of particles suspended in a fluid) is random, it nevertheless causes the particles to move from areas of high concentration towards areas of low concentration. The rate at which this movement takes place is affected by a number of factors, principally temperature (Brownian motion is stronger at higher temperatures) and the viscosity of the fluid medium. And of course it's impossible to track every single particle, but you can build statistical models and then test these with real-world applications. (For example; I pour 250ml of hydrochloric acid into a 50,000 litre swimming pool at typical conditions of atmospheric pressure and water temperature; how long before there is a uniform concentration of acid throughout the pool? This is easily tested. Answer: within 30 minutes; less if the pool is a heated pool.)

OK. You can apply these models to answer questions like: how long before the molecules in Julius Caesar's dying breath are evenly distributed throughout the planetary atmosphere? I don't actually know the answer to this question but I am confidently assured by those who do that it happened long ago and that, statistically, it is likely that right now you are breathing molecules which were comprised in his dying breath.

So, the dust that was Shakespeare? This is different because it is not suspended in a fluid. Shakespeare was buried in the earth; he decomposed. But the earth is not a fluid; his bits would not be diffused by Brownian motion. But they would be spread in other ways - worms eat the fleshy bits, they move not very far, but far enough to be eaten by birds, who move rather further, and who themselves die and decompose and release molecules that get eaten by other animals, or absorbed into plants that get eaten by other animals, that move, and die, and decompose, and so on and so on. I don't know if we have reliable statistical models as to how fast or how uniformly the molecules of the dead are distributed in this way. Off the cuff, it looks to me like a much more complex thing to model.

Except, at some point in the cycle bits of dead Shakespeare end up in water - rivers, the sea - or in the atmosphere. And once that happens, diffusion by Brownian motion takes over, and from their on the rate of diffusion is fairly predictable. So, really, all you have to model is, how long is it before a critical mass of Shakespeare ends up in the Avon.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong P. but my understanding of diffusion through Brownian motion is that it depends on two (or more) different liquids of different concentrations. If we add a small amount of water to a larger body of water we're changing the volume but not the molar equilibrium. By the time the liquid part of Shakespeare's remains made it to the Avon and from there transported to the sea, I'd wonder how much of a role diffusion plays. I'd fancy that as the bard started to push up daisies (or had water taken up and carbon bound to other plant life, fungi and bacteria), the combination of transpiration and CO2 from photosynthesis may have been a faster route to rejoin the atmosphere. All idle speculation of course.

i'd suspect that in a river, mixing through eddies, etc., has a far greater effect than diffusion - unless the river flow is very laminar.

same with mixing of water vapour in the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Has anyone determined how many molecules can dance on the head of a pin?

I'd agree, though I'm not sure how we could go about measuring the time frame required by this mechanism to disperse Shakespeare's remains globally and uniformly to the level required. Also worth noting that Stratford up Avon sits on a large sandstone aquifer so the idea that the liquid part of Shakespeare's remains ended up in the Avon by a reasonably direct route is not necessarily a given.

i think we're agreed on that - the molecules in the bones in his skeleton when he died are probably mainly still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement