Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Before posting something as daft as that, perhaps check your facts first. Network Direct was implemented "in a matter of weeks" you think?

The first phase was implemented on Sunday 19th September 2010.

The final phase was implemented on Sunday 18th November 2012, which is over two years later.

Not in any way, shape, or form, was it implemented "in a matter of weeks".

And Network Direct was nothing like as radical as BusConnects. It didn't involve service expansion and staffing increases which this project certainly does, nor did it involve a completely different way of scheduling than used before. It was contracting the bus service rather than expanding it.

The orbitals and the Swords areas were never changed in that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What are the main responses from the businesses located around the proposed plaza in GG? Have they expressed any sense of disappointment that it will be delayed for another 3 years?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes, it would have required more funding and more staff in advance, but a quicker rollout of the routing element of BusConnects was possible and the NTA's consultants outlined that and how it was done elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

There was a road closure today at Christchurch / Winetavern Street, to conduct an experiment to see if two buses can pass one another while going under the archway, and what kind of clearance they have. I know, I always moved out when going down that hill and I don't think another bus would have been able to pass me.

This is one of the routes proposed for buses when the College Green plaza is closed completely and would enable routes to cross the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wiessrachel1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Someone mentioned back up the thread that the plaza has been delayed for 3 years- anyone know the reason given?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No technical reason. 3 years coincides with bus connects revised network finishing up. According to programme the bus corridors will be under construction also. The rathgar corridor will affect this at the South Great George's street end.

Personally I don't believe the bus corridors will be built as they are presently purposed but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The key bit is the revised bus network and the changes that bus routes will take through the city centre and in particular matching different corridors up for cross-city routes.

The revised network makes avoiding College Green a lot easier as it removes all of the right turns at O’Connell Bridge, and would eliminate the need for the long dog-legs/detours that would be required for the routes currently using Dame Street and Sth Great George’s St. It would also mean not putting everything onto the Quays as the original DCC proposal did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If they don't build the bus corridors then it really begs the question where are all those billions of euro that's been budgeted for BC being spent, because I thought the bulk of it was going towards actually building these out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The money isn't necessarily ring fenced for bus connects or even for the department of transport per say. It could be spent on road schemes or fixing the defects in the children's hospital and so on.

Advertisement