Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian trial Suffolk St

Options
  • 30-01-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭

Although it is virtually pedestrianised as a cul de sac DCC are doing a trial for six weeks by putting bollards near to O'Neills pub. Delivery access hours will be the same as Grafton St.
    DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL will next month begin a six-week trial of pedestrianising Suffolk Street in Dublin city.

The council confirmed that the trial would begin on this Saturday 2 February and last for six weeks.

Suffolk Street is located in Dublin’s south inner city at the bottom of Grafton Street and is a popular thoroughfare containing shops, restaurants and bars.

The street used to be one of the main arteries connecting buses coming from Nassau Street and the south side of the city with Dame Street.

This route was closed off to buses and traffic about three years ago to facilitate works on the Luas Cross City. The route has not been reopened to traffic since.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/suffolk-street-pedestrianised-4464782-Jan2019/

Presumably after this DCC will get on with re-paving it all on one level. Still no sign of Sth William St getting pedestrianised but at least this is some progress after 3 years of the street being a cul de sac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Pedestrianisation will suit the street. It's been in its current state for years now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As you say, it's been practically pedestrianised already so making it official will be great. It currently looks a bit like it was forgotten about when the Luas works finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah it would be a welcome move. I wonder will they end up paving it in the same grantite slab as Grafton St, making it a sort of extension of it.

When it is finished I could see O'Neills pub and Thing Mote getting an outdoor terrace on it too

Just on Suffolk St- does anyone know the details of what is going into St.Andrews church? I heard it is some sort of food hall but little else on when it is due to open. It will be a welcome addition when it does open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on Suffolk St- does anyone know the details of what is going into St.Andrews church? I heard it is some sort of food hall but little else on when it is due to open. It will be a welcome addition when it does open.

St Andrew's Foodhall, looks like it could be good, planned to open in the summer.

http://michaeljfwright.com/st-andrews-food-hall/

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah it would be a welcome move. I wonder will they end up paving it in the same grantite slab as Grafton St, making it a sort of extension of it.

When it is finished I could see O'Neills pub and Thing Mote getting an outdoor terrace on it too

If the bars and restaurants put tables on the streets it could be really nice during the summer. Strings of coloured lights between the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thats nice. It is a small fish though, the street feels basically pedestrianised already apart from the paving being like a normal street

DCC need to focus on pedestrianising areas that are already horrible pedestrian experiences, all the areas around Christchurch and St Patricks Cathedral for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats nice. It is a small fish though, the street feels basically pedestrianised already apart from the paving being like a normal street

DCC need to focus on pedestrianising areas that are already horrible pedestrian experiences, all the areas around Christchurch and St Patricks Cathedral for instance

Pedestrianising the street is only half the battle. Improving the public realm once it has been pedestrianised it equally important.

Speedsie wrote: »
    St Andrew's Foodhall, looks like it could be good, planned to open in the summer.

http://michaeljfwright.com/st-andrews-food-hall/

Looks great, I love foodhalls and the Epicurean Food Hall was a loss so good to see a new one opening. With this and the pedestrianisation of Suffolk St it will really transform the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Muahahaha wrote:
    Looks great, I love foodhalls and the Epicurean Food Hall was a loss so good to see a new one opening. With this and the pedestrianisation of Suffolk St it will really transform the area.

Any word on english style food market in old Fruit markets off Capel st?
    Ciaran_B wrote:
    If the bars and restaurants put tables on the streets it could be really nice during the summer. Strings of coloured lights between the buildings.

As long as they seek planning and pay the fee..unauthorised clutter outside pubs and cafes is awful...

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    As long as they seek planning and pay the fee..unauthorised clutter outside pubs and cafes is awful...

That's mostly because of the tiny amount of space given to pedestrian space. Reallocate each street differently and cafes could take all the space they want and no one would care..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Epicurean is a huge loss. A little lot of diversity.

Instead there is a shabbily kept Dealz. The stench of piss and dirt on the Abbey Street entrance is a disgrace.

Food hall in the church has now cleared planning after a hold up with An Bord Pleanala
    PLANS FOR A multimillion-euro food hall in central Dublin are back on track after the company behind it overturned a planning restriction that could have derailed the project.
    In November of last year, Mink Fusion, a company connected to hospitality supremo Michael Wright, was given conditional approval to convert St Andrew’s Church on Suffolk Street into a licensed food court, banqueting hall and cultural centre.

The vacant property was once used as a tourist information centre and is owned by Fáilte Ireland. The Molly Malone statue is located in front of the church and it is a popular busking and meeting point. The redevelopment is expected to cost €5 million.Manahan Planners, on behalf of Mink Fusion, lodged an appeal last December against a condition imposed by Dublin City Council that would have restricted the opening hours of an outdoor dining area attached to the project.

The council had said that the area – to be used for “dining purposes” only – should close between 10pm and 8am every day, which the developer complained was an “overly restrictive” measure. In its appeal to the national planning board, Wright’s company said there was “no basis” for imposing the 10pm curfew and that the restriction had “the potential to derail the entire project”.An Bord Pleanála decided to reverse the condition attached to the city council’s approval. The outdoor area is now permitted to operate until 11.30pm daily, which is in line with the opening hours of other food and drink venues in the area.

Taking into consideration a development plan for the capital, the agency ruled that the development “would not seriously (harm) the … amenities of residential properties in the vicinity or the amenities of public realm and would be in accordance with the proper planning”.Wright told Fora that he is “happy with the outcome”.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/michael-wright-andrews-food-hall-curfew-3-4598115-Apr2019/

Article goes on to say that it will have both Irish and ethnic food stalls and that they are hoping to open it by the end of this year. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Mr.S wrote: »
    Great - perfect use of the space and no doubt it will do well.

I hope they make Suffolk Street permanently pedestrianised, it basically is apart from the lone taxi driver - would be a great street if the bars and restaurants could expand out a bit with outdoor seating.

I hope they don't until they sort out the issue of the contra flow bike lane on Andrew Street

Definitely a lack of joined up thinking in DCC given that they recently put up traffic wands to stop drivers intruding on it and then pedestrianise Suffolk street without any reference as to what happens to Andrew Street

SPDUB wrote:
    I hope they don't until they sort out the issue of the contra flow bike lane on Andrew Street

what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's pretty much in constant use as parking for delivery drivers and An Post. That's the main problem anyway.

Do the wands they installed (from a couple of posts back) not prevent delivery drivers parking on it?

Do the wands they installed (from a couple of posts back) not prevent delivery drivers parking on it?

Wands like that a great idea but they only deter casual offenders. For the rest, they're nothing more than a few seconds extra effort.

how do you mean mark? I havent been down there in a while so dont know how closely spaced the wands are but surely they should prevent any parking? Or are some drivers driving over them so they bend down to the ground?

Muahahaha wrote:
    how do you mean mark? I havent been down there in a while so dont know how closely spaced the wands are but surely they should prevent any parking? Or are some drivers driving over them so they bend down to the ground?

I know the street well..drivers can't park on the cycle lane because of the flexi bollards.. what's the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I know the street well..drivers can't park on the cycle lane because of the flexi bollards.. what's the issue?

The issue is

How do cyclists get from the junction of Nassau Street and Grafton Street to use the cycle lane if they can't cycle on Suffolk Street

SPDUB wrote:
    How do cyclists get from the junction of Nassau Street and Grafton Street to use the cycle lane if they can't cycle on Suffolk Street

dismount and stroll up with their bikes? ... enjoying the sights sounds and smells of the newly pedestrianised street..

Don't underestimate the creativity of a white yellow van driver under the influence of laziness.

https://twitter.com/coconutlulz/status/1111280359981936640

So is that the problem above, there are some wands but they don't go all the way to the junction with Suffolk hence vans park up in that very spot every day? Why did the council even bother with wands if they weren't going to make sure that parking in the cycle lane isnt possible? Might An Post have had a word in their ear in a 'we need that space' kind of way?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the creativity of a white yellow van driver under the influence of laziness.

https://twitter.com/coconutlulz/status/1111280359981936640

Hmmm..that seems mad alright...must have been some reason for it ?

Laziness or inconsideration are usually the 2 main reasons from what I see. It's just a street for crap parking, even after the wands were installed. Always has been really.

Advertisement