Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Oh wonder why they call it Gun Fort?? hhmmm snake eyes looks handy.....long arm centipede giraffe, okay then, fml.

Long arm centipede is actually handy enough, just remember the ashina elite :)

Just thought I'd edit the above, he was a pain until I realised what was up after a few goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I only have him one go, blocked all his attacks and he broke my posture twice. I'm sure he's handy enough but i think I'm just not fancying the game much. Love the dynasty and the genichiro fight really was great but I'm finding myself but even wanting to deal with regular enemies and running around hoping I'm going in the right direction but not really caring if i am. Bad sign when I'm not interested and just rushing. I still want to play it but feel I'd be getting a lot more out of it if it was linear levels that allowed me to concentrate fighting enemies while making progress. Much preferring the Souls games to this although i think Sekiro combat might have ruined them if i ever replay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only have him one go, blocked all his attacks and he broke my posture twice. I'm sure he's handy enough but i think I'm just not fancying the game much. Love the dynasty and the genichiro fight really was great but I'm finding myself but even wanting to deal with regular enemies and running around hoping I'm going in the right direction but not really caring if i am. Bad sign when I'm not interested and just rushing. I still want to play it but feel I'd be getting a lot more out of it if it was linear levels that allowed me to concentrate fighting enemies while making progress. Much preferring the Souls games to this although i think Sekiro combat might have ruined them if i ever replay it.

I was following FightinCowboy's walkthrough guide on Youtube in order to know where to go and what to do. I think that helped a lot as it made for less wandering and just ploughing through areas for the fights/combat rather than trying to figure out what the f*ck I was supposed to be doing.

Something I have to say I really loved in Demons Souls were the different separate worlds where you mostly just go from A to B. Sekiro and Bloodborne, you can lose a lot of time (and patience) trying to figure out where to go next.

Penn wrote: »
    I was following FightinCowboy's walkthrough guide on Youtube in order to know where to go and what to do. I think that helped a lot as it made for less wandering and just ploughing through areas for the fights/combat rather than trying to figure out where to go or what to do.

Will look it up thanks, think this will be like ignoring all the side stuff in Ghost of Tsushima to get the most enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I always loved how each area was sort of interconnected.

Sekiro still had that ...oohh what's after this boss, what's down here curiosity for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems complicated but there's only really three paths you can go after the genchiro fight.

I think the main issue is that I'm not feeling any joy from the world and instead of wondering "oohh am i going the right way" with a smile, I'm thinking "ugh, am i wasting my time going this way?". Also I'm just trying to get to the next boss to get into another epic fight, not soaking in the game.

Maybe just need to spend some more time instead of rushing limited time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think it's *too* controversial to suggest it's the least interesting world out of any of the From games. It doesn't have that sense of endless discovery you get in the others, and the world doesn't all tie together or evolve in the same way (
    although to be fair you do get to revisit locations in a new light and context later on, which is really cool
    ). I think there are beautiful, eerie locations to visit - I'm thinking one extended section near the end in particular - but it's not a world that has as much to offer as Yarnham or the like. Also think the focus on more overt storytelling doesn't really pay off to any great extent.

I say all this with the disclaimer that I think From's priorities lay elsewhere, and they wisely focused on combat above all else. There are some great visuals and battle arenas throughout - like the recent battleground you find yourself in in the game's first proper boss fight. But yeah wouldn't feel too bad for not feeling particularly connected or engaged by the world on offer, because it's a bit more basic than what From has created before.

Yeah the world does not work like Souls games in that you can run out of options on where to go quite a bit more often. Like, you kill this boss or thats it for your progress in this game.

It's something I didn't like about the game and it is something preventing me replaying it if I'm honest.

Also I missed co-op for getting help and helping others but that was personal and not a bad reflection on the game.

Ah the infamous Guardian Ape, got him down to near death after a few goes, not too bad although I've heard plenty about
    his 2nd phase
    so looking forward to that.

Other than that, absolutely bored of the game, I keep thinking about what other games I could be playing while I'm mindlessly going from one platform to the next so that's not a good sign. Highly controversial but I had more fun playing Dark Souls 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Penn wrote: »
    I was following FightinCowboy's walkthrough guide on Youtube in order to know where to go and what to do.
    He's hands down my favourite souls youtuber. His walkthrough and build videos across all the souls games are top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

I was really enjoying this game until Isshin. This fight is bloody ridiculous. Like Zero, starting to suffer from Sekiro fatigue. Will persevere over the weekend and then call it a day. Fenyx Rising is calling me.

I haven't gone back to this since my first few attempts at guardian ape. Not that i feel like i hit a wall, he feels beatable but i just have zero feelings for this game. I feel like it ended for me when i beat genichiro. That was such a great boss fight, don't care how many tries it took me, it was an epic journey. Game has felt flat since. Brilliant combat but i couldn't be arsed using it on regular enemies.

Weird, i love Souls games, of which i NEVER used parry and this is making me want to go back and try a parry build but i loved going back to those games no matter how much i was getting my arse kicked.

Glad i finally tried it but it's not for me.

Of all the bosses in the game Gaudian Ape is by far the most predictable / most beatable without getting hit once you know how. I think once you get him gone you are good to go until owl father and final boss which was where I gave up. I left it way too long and lost what little skill I had in the game and didn't have it in me to start over.

I haven't gone back to this since my first few attempts at guardian ape. Not that i feel like i hit a wall, he feels beatable but i just have zero feelings for this game. I feel like it ended for me when i beat genichiro. That was such a great boss fight, don't care how many tries it took me, it was an epic journey. Game has felt flat since. Brilliant combat but i couldn't be arsed using it on regular enemies.

Weird, i love Souls games, of which i NEVER used parry and this is making me want to go back and try a parry build but i loved going back to those games no matter how much i was getting my arse kicked.

I do think there are some incredible boss fights still to come which are the best in the game (Monk, Owl, O'Rin, Mist Noble, Sword Saint) but at the same time if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. There are areas in the game that can be quite a slog to get through to get to those bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I’ll take it off your hands if you want to sell it on?
    I was about to buy it off the guy on adverts but you got there before me :D

mdwexford wrote: »
    I’ll take it off your hands if you want to sell it on?
    I was about to buy it off the guy on adverts but you got there before me :D

Ha that's gas, will pm ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Isshin the Sword Saint finally defeated. Wasn't that bad in the end. Took my time and chipped away at him. Thank god for the mortal blade. Time to sheath the Katana. Really enjoyed the game but not prepared to play NG+.

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Isshin the Sword Saint finally defeated. Wasn't that bad in the end. Took my time and chipped away at him. Thank god for the mortal blade. Time to sheath the Katana. Really enjoyed the game but not prepared to play NG+.

Congrats. It can be a tough as hell fight as he has weird rhythms to some of his combos with long pauses and quick strikes, but it's the perfect fight to end the game on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »

If you don't use the pendant you will destroy NG+. Like beat the game in about 4 hours. The optional bosses might take a bit more time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was the same, after i completed the game, i didnt have the drive to jump right back into NG+, ill hold out for a DLC or wait a good while before i jump back in and tackle the shorter version of the game.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Getting to the point of finishing Demon Souls on PS5 and Sekiro is the only souls game I haven't touched yet and want to play it before Elden Ring. But it's difficult to get a hold of, why isn't it readily available to get physical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've just 100% this in the last few months. Not sure what to do with myself now. I can't think of a better game I've played. Beating some of those bosses for the first time gives a serious sense of achievement - and I'm just a casual old man gamer now so it can't be that hard.

I got it for fairly cheap (iirc £15) through Eneba via a trip to Argentina.

Just got finished with another playthrough myself. Admittedly, since I kept Kuro's charm and stuff, it didn't take long as I burst through almost everyone and most bosses on first or second try and didn't need to bother with much stealth or collecting items, but spent most of my time using the Reflection of Strength option that was added to just replay some of the boss fights over and over again.

Definitely one of my top 10 games of all time, and I'd put it over probably every SoulsBorne game. Since there are no "builds", almost every fight is perfectly tuned to what your abilities should or need to be to progress. You have tools and items that can help but are also not really required. With other Soulsborne games, certain builds, weapons or items can dramatically shift difficulties, and even though every build is valid, some have greater advantages than others. With Sekiro, it's just far more about your own ability. And rather than fighting giant deformed beasts for the most part (where you attack their back leg, dodge out of an AOE, then dodge back in and continue attacking), the main bosses are just people with swords/spears. It's a proper face-to-face clash of steel, they have some tricks and you have some tricks. The fights are fairly matched, and the best one wins.

Really hope we see something along these lines again. I know Elden Ring seems to be taking some ideas from Sekiro in terms of movement and traversal, but I'd love to see a sequel or successor to Sekiro down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I have the same sentiments as zero-cool above. It just never clicked with me in the first playthrough and I longed for the dark souls techniques/precision/fairness of the bosses.

And yet, Sekiro is the only game I've gotten a platinum trophy for... Looking back with hindsight, it was one of the greatest games I've ever played for what it was, but it never felt like this when I was playing it for some reason. The hitboxes (attack and defense) of the bosses is ridiculous, the ratio of your HP to enemy HP - ridiculous. The flashy red thing over your head, I still don't understand what that means.

While I would be delighted for a Sekiro 2 to try out the mechanics again, I hope it never gets even remotely intertwined with the Souls mechanics.

I'm just not a fan of the look and feel of the Souls games, it's the Samurai angle that warmed me to Sekiro. It's the movement and combat that make it, proper boss battles too. Yeah for the most part I just go at it with my trusty sword and a bit of Ichimonji - throw in a bit of Mortal Blade towards the end. Special mention to the firecrackers in places. I've never completed a game 4 times before, I've never wanted to, now I find myself just sticking it on for a boss fight every now and then - actually captured an Owl Father battle yesterday if anybody fancies a watch

I've watched a few bits of Elden Ring and again I'm not sure I'm into it. Another Sekiro will be a day 1 purchase for me though.

Good thinking to dip in and out of it now and again. I felt it was such a waste getting out of practice given how long it takes to master the combat...

The red symbol just means the enemy is about to do a perilous attack; a thrust, a sweep or a grab. The actual symbol is meaningless and doesn't display what type of attack it'll be, it just means you have to watch the enemy to see what attack they're about to do. If they pull their weapon in towards them, it'll be a thrust forward (so you have to use the mikiri counter). If they hold their weapon to one side, it'll be a sweep attack, so you have to jump over it. If they arch back themselves, they're going to lunge forward to grab you, so you have to dodge out of the way.

The difference in HP though is because most bosses, you defeat via posture. Reducing their health means they build posture faster and it reduces slower, but you can defeat bosses by primarily deflecting their attacks and countering their moves rather than just hitting them. It's that back and forth clash of swords that makes the difference between winning and losing. It rewards being aggressive and to keep attacking the enemy to build up their posture quickly. Most enemies you can get deathblows on while they still have more than half their health.

There are definitely times you get hit and it can feel unfair. Some enemies/bosses have incredibly wide-reaching quick attacks that punish heavily. But for the most part I don't think they're any more or less fair than most Soulsborne bosses.

Yes I get this re. the red mark over your head but some bosses just don't follow the rules and damage you regardless of what you do and often times it doesn't make sense jumping or countering you just have to know it ( i can give examples but I don't know how to do spoilers). the most frustrating thing is when the red flashes and you hit the button on time and you simply jump/sprint into the enemy's attack. ARrrrrgghgh!

Re. the HP, some bosses just have a ridiculous amount of both HP and posture and you are doomed to spending 20-30 mins fighting a boss regardless of your skill level/buffs etc. Expecting a player to maintain a fight this long while taking minimal hits is taxing for even the most experienced players (but I suppose this is what makes it so satisfying)

The most unfair hits are the ones where humanoid enemies make nothing more than brisk swipes or pokes but still take away 3/4s of your health. This is the most frustrating as it is cheap difficulty rather than 'git gud' difficulty.

• Advertisement

OK I can understand that annoyance, I can think of plenty of examples where a boss hit eats your HP - also sometimes firecrackers mince you but I'm not sure yours does any HP damage to them, just stun, could be wrong. I've never really dwelt on it though, just part of the game. Start again and push on and improve that deflect. I can't think of any single battle that went over 10 mins tbh, it may have taken a couple of hours of tries to beat the Sword Saint but when I finally did, it took 4 mins - I had 6 gourds left too, not sure how that makes sense.

Advertisement