Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

I think it could be openATV (is this the operating system), is there a way to confirm this?

EDIT- Just checked and cant see openATV but there is a samba setup file in the network folder. Should i set this up and work from there?

Post edited by Hedgecutter on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The above steps are for openVIX but openATV should be similar. When you get to the samba menu there should be a colour button option to enable if it is not already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

So i have that installed and enabled, still nothing showing on file explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Hi:-

Random question, but someone might be able to help.

We had a Zgemma H7S installed last week, and I've been playing around with it. All good, except a couple of oddities around record and playback.

1. We're using Openvix; fast forward is not cancelled by hitting the play button; instead I need to use rewind to reset the playback speed to zero - is just the way it is, or is it configurable? I've figured it out, but it's a little counter intuitive for the other members of the family!
    2. We have a 1TB internal HD in the box. Some recordings have been fine, some have been very glitchy, with lots of melting and artifacting, mainly in scenes with lots of keyframes and movement, e.g. sports footage. I was pointing to the HD signals, so would that be an issue? Or is there a way to configure the codec used for recording to accommodate?

We have OpenWebif set up, so I have access to settings from there..

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

For those that bought the box set up, is it difficult to change the skin if you want to? I am not too fussy, but am not a fan of the mad bright blue sky one that I used to have on my FTA box.

• Advertisement

For Vix it's

MENU>SETUP>USER INTERFACE>SKIN SETUP>SKIN and select a different skin. The box will need a reboot to apply your choice.

Other images will be slightly different but the same basic idea. New skins can also be downloaded under the PLUGINS menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭swoofer

"We're using Openvix; fast forward is not cancelled by hitting the play button; instead I need to use rewind to reset the playback sp"

I have openvix and when using playback I press right arow to ff second press speeds up and so on, then press ok to play. try that. I dont use those play buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I find using 3/6/9 keys to skip forward 15/60/300 seconds better than traditional FF.

I watch tv in the dark so know the arrow key is close to ok key and quick presses increase speed , using different keys would not suit me. I use number keys for channels.

re glitching. I wonder if the HDD was not configured for the linux EXT4 format. If someone just stuck a HDD in, it would most likely be formatted to NTFS which would work with reduced performance. A properly functioning HDD should easily cope with 2 HD recordings while you play back another. There is an option to "initialise" the HDD to EXT4 but this will erase any existing recordings.

As for fast forwarding. If you are just using it to skip adverts, there is a better option using the number buttons to skip forward by fixed amounts. Pressing button 3 will jump forward by 15 seconds, press button 6 to jump 1 minute and button 9 jumps 5 minutes. So for example to skip a normal 4 minute adbreak press 6 four times to immediately skip forward. Buttons 1, 4 and 7 do the same on rewind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes using Openvix here also and the numbers for fast forward or rewind is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Just saw this re fast fwd-wow what a great piece of useful info-thanks for that Mr.Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thats a pretty standard function on most images, has been for years.

You can customise the amount of time for each button too, so I have the largest increment set to 4 mins and 15 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Thanks for those useful tips.

Re: forward/rewind - I subsequently realised that I was pressing the wrong button for Play - doh! But those tips are very useful.

Re: HD glitching - switching to SD channels has resolved the issue - but will check with the vendor about the HD format (as Open WebIf doesn't have that info)

Cheers!

If you wanted to try reformatting to be sure it's using EXT4 go MENU>SETUP>STORAGE>INITIALIZE DEVICES

Note **** This will erase all existing content on the disc *****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone recommend a plugin for watching Xstream iptv streams on a zgemma running openvix? I've tried Xstreamity and after ages tip tapping out my details it worked but is unusably slow and eventually crashes every time I try to open any stream. I've confirmed via iptv smarters that the connection is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Did you ever get that sorted out? I am trying to access a film on a USB stick to either play directly or copy to the SSD but I can see it on the file list. I'm using OpenVix. I can see the USB on Menu>setup>storage>File system check but nothing else. Does it matter that the USB is formatted to NTFS or FAT32?

From your file list (recordings) button try YELLOW to change location and access the USB from there. Failing that use the Dream Explorer plugin. You may need to install this first from the plugins menu depending on the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

Has anyone managed to disable or else physically hide the massive icon in the display through some sort of mod?

I ended up putting several layers of masking tape over the internal lightbox that holds the LED. I didn't want to do anything more permanent, just in case I ever needed to return it under guarantee. You could also try black electrical tape on the outside if you are not comfortable opening the box up. A bit of a bodge but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

Yeah thats what I was thinking, bit always like some comfort knowing its been done before before I start a hack job. Might try the black tape inside the cover.

I recall reading now that you had a looked at the surface mounted LED before. I was curious about this (i.e. killing the logo) but I would probably destroy the board at the same time.

My thoughts are outside is best so as not to leave evidence of tampering .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone experienced the zgemma doing a very annoying thing whereby you've paused and you're using the 3,6,9 buttons to flick through. This works most of the time but occasionally it'll just jump straight to the live TV, removing all the remaining paused time. It's happened a few times now and is especially annoying if you're watching something where jumping to the live TV ruins an ending etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I have just got the H7S up and running with openvix successfully with an existing Sky dish with a new LNB. For the saorview aerial, I'm using one of these amplified dish clip-on aerials: https://satcity.ie/Revez-T80-Dish-Clip-On-Aerial. This pulls power from the satellite tuner to power the amplified aerial and I suppose the built-in terrestrial and satellite combiner.

However, when you switch to view a saorview channel on the DVB tuner with the H7S, the satellite tuner stops sending 13V or 18V power to the amplified aerial, which results in a "Tune Failed" message for the saorview channel. If I power the aerial from an old Sky box (connected to the other side of the inside splitter), it will show the saorview channels no problem. But this means I lose the benefit of the second satellite tuner in the H7S and it's not ideal having a Sky box plugged in just for power for the amplified saorview aerial.

Any ideas for how to have the H7S have persistent satellite LNB power even when watching a terrestrial channel?

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

How have you them connected? Is it one cable down to a splitter? And it must have power passthrough.

like here

Buy Revez T80 Dish Mounted UHF Aerial from ATC Supplies Ltd, Ballyhaise, Co.Cavan, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

It's wired up like in this diagram. Besides the satellite and terrestrial tuners are both in the one Zgemma box. When I switch from a satellite channel to a Saorview channel, it works for about 2 seconds until the Zgemma tuner stops sending power to the satellite.

Using the old Sky box for persistent satellite power (as in plugged into the left side of the diplexer in this figure) keeps the power going to the active aerial and saorview works fine all the time on the Zgemma.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Have you tried swapping the tuner feeds on the ZgemmaH7 box and have you set both tuners to A = 28E and B= 28E?

And, and this sounds daft , but have you proved both sat tuners pick up channels?

And have to tried a vertical channel and a horizontal before you select saorview?

Techkings forum is a good place to ask as well.

Was this on a recording as i find it might have got to the end of recording and then goes to live tv.

• Advertisement

They would ask if another diplexer was fitted on roof combining sat and terrestrial down the one cable.

I can use a small non powered aerial as close by but also got an external aerial fitted and used shotgun cable for a sat feed and other for aerial feed.

Advertisement