Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi all,

Looking to pick up another of these boxes for a family member - where are people sourcing them post-Brexit?

I presume that these are still the best budget option (at least for a dual satellite, single terrestrial box)? I've been looking around, but cant see anything equivalent or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

world of satellite and possibly satword in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

World of Sat still delivering but slightly higher than pre-Brexit. No stock until early Jan but taking orders - I think they use DPD which will also charge VAT + Fees. Probably works out around €150-160 all in. See here for details

Satworld is €200 but comes with 500GB HDD installed - Expensive considering HDD which can be bought separately for ~€20). But its in stock in Ireland.

Ask them for price without hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hi guys, total newbie here. Got the box off virts.ie, terrific next day delivery and a good price.

So far, it came with Open ATV 6.0. I couldn't flash it with OpenVix via USB (Flash would come up for a split second and then continue to boot, common problem it seems). I updated it to OpenATV 6.4 via the box itself (one by one from 6.0 to 6.1 to 6.2 to 6.3 to 6.4, lol!) and managed to add Wooshbuild Infinity. Current skin is one of the SkyQ ones.

Would ye recommend this setup or am I missing out on anything major? Haven't played around with Picons or many different skins yet, will be putting together a Favorites Channel list soon via OpenWebif. EPG is set to HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Just got my H7S this morning, but all I get is a logo when powering it up at the back. Remote appears to work (checked on mobile phone camera), but nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Any thoughts before I return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What logo do you get, and where do you get it (on screen or on the box)?

Try pressing up or down on the remote (the centre circle part, not channel±), then pressing blue to see a list of bouquets.

The logo is on the front panel (I guess its the zgemma logo like a letter A) - nothing at all onscreen. It doesn't seem to power up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Have you attached all the usual leads and is it in the right source for the tv? I know it sounds dumb but I have to ask. Is box brand new?

Yes big bright A on front panel and should show clock or channel number.

Power off and check hdmi is fully connected and power on again and see any remote function coming up on screen

• Advertisement

Just the big bright A - nothing else. Surely I don't need everything connected to get beyond this point (although I have). It's brand new out of box, so returning it. Disappointing Christmas present to myself!

But did you ask for an image to loaded? If not you will have to flash one yourself. You can have 4 images in box Just try this and if you get no response then send it back.

With power turned on at back, hold the power button down on remote for a few seconds and you may get an option onscreen, like multiboot, if you do go to multiboot, press ok and see if a list of images appears or it might be a boot menu.

If you want to try flashing an image here is a good guide. I hope you get sorted.

https://www.linuxsat-support.com/cms/article/71-how-to-flash-zgemma-h7-series-uhd-4k-linux-enigma2-receivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I could - if I could get it to respond beyond showing the logo. I admit I'm a newbie at this type of box, but nothing I have done gets it to proceed. Surely even a box without an image does something when powered on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The A shaped logo is nothing but an LED, a sign of power and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Hi corcaigh07, I have a question about the ZGemma H7s on virts. Does it have 2 Sat Tuners? The picture looks as if it has one LNB in and a loopthrough, and one RF in and a loopthough. But any H7s that I've seen have 2 LNB ins (no loopthough) and just one RF in with no loopthrough.

The reason I ask is that I'd like a box with an RF loopthrough (so I could still also watch terrestrial on the TV itself), but also with two satellite tuners.

Thanks.

H7S has 2 sat tuners and 1 terrestrial and no loop through .

I use a splitter to split aerial feed to tv and box and use a threaded one as it has better connections not like the push in type

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone help me with this. Had the ZGemma in storage for a while. Went to reconnect and scan. It has two feeds, tv aerial for Irish channels and satellite for UK. In the Autoscan menu I select 'Yes' for it to scan both. It takes about 15 minutes to scan all the UK channels and then it starts the Irish ones which take 20 seconds. But every time it finishes and I save it it only saves the Irish channels, i.e. all the satellite channels are wiped at the end of the scan. So at the moment I can only scan either the Irish or the UK but when I do both together it always wipes the UK ones at the end of the scan and just leaves me with the few Irish channels.

When on a tv channel press the down button under the ok then press green button to see if it lists sats and terrestrial and see if you get to go the sat sat side.

What image version are you running as i did use AutoBouquetsMaker years ago and setup that to scan the selected in both sat and terrestrial

Bouquets are then used to find your channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks a million, that has solved the problem. Think Id just forgotten how the remote works to find stuff.

Im not a techie but I think the image version is OpenVix or at least that what comes up when I boot up the box. re bouquets, what exactly are these? Is it a piece of software to display channels in the order you want and delete all the duplicate channels (I think I must have 15+ BBC channels all showing mainly the same program). I presume I need to connect the Zgemma to a router with a LAN cable to download a bouquet to then customise the EPG? Or is there a way to just delete all the channels I dont want from the scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone know how to move the Favourites to the first page (when you press EPG)? Currently on the third page, bit of a pain.

Bar some tinkering with channels and adjust my aerial, think I'm happy continuing with Wooshbuild Infinity/Open ATV 6.4.

when you have bouquets onscreen, press menu, a menu appears, select enable move mode, then on favourites press menu see move mode, select that, press ok on favourites, it changes colour, use arrows to move to front. once there press ok, then you may have to disable move mode, press menu etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys. Great thread. I got box just before Christmas from Freesat.ie. came set up with open Vix. Have youVix blue skin running. Very happy with set up. Much more responsive than old fox sat which was very slow but otherwise good.

2 questions;

1 I gather you can only edit channels and epg with external editor like open web if?

2 I can't seem to do anything with auto bouquet maker settings. If I click any setting it just bounces back to menu.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you never setup and saved your settings and then scanned within ABM.

Hi Lads, I have a question regarding Autobouquetsmaker that someone here may know the answer to.

In essence, can ABM be configured to re-build your favourites list (as it does with the other bouquets)?

Whilse rooting around in the box, I've come across an ABM readme file, which seems to suggest that you can define a 'custom' bouquet (i.e. your favourites) in an ABM xml file, which ABM would then re-build along with the 'standard' bouquets whenever it ran.

Up to this point I hadn't bothered with this, as it's a 2 minute job to sort manually if a channel moves frequency. However, I have a few family members with these boxes (after they saw how well it worked here!) and I'd like to try to create a 'set it and forget it' environment for these boxes as much as possible. It's much more of a hassle if a channel moves and the in-laws are facing a black screen - or worse, a failed recording!!

No as a new scan will update channels moving etc if run every day.

You can make up your favourite list of channels and have it in your own bouquet think its on second page but not used it.

Running ABM daily will only update your standard ones and dont update your special list.

I always used ABM to make the bouquets and went to that to select my channel on which i needed.

If a channel moved on your special list it would be blank until you removed the old and in with the new.

Thanks greasepalm,

What you say is correct, and it's what I do now (i.e. ABM updates every night, but leaves my favourites bouquet alone).

I did have a situation earlier this year - the itv group of channels jumped around a little, and the in-laws were left looking at a blank screen. Of course, the channels were still accessible by navigating over to the ABM Sky/Freesat bouquets, but they only use the Favorites list (as it's the one set up exactly how they wanted it).

In essence, I'm trying to configure ABM to make a favourites/custom bouquet, in the same way as it does the Saorview/Sky/Freesat bouquets, but I define which channels it puts in there. It definitely seems possible to do, but you need to get into the weeds of bouquets (LCNs etc.).

• Advertisement

I am sure others will add to where to add your list that does not get adjusted when it runs.

Found this old post might be of some help.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/archive/index.php/t-46470.html

Advertisement