Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Bought from Satworld,Business Park,Old Naas Road.I rang them said I wanted it all set up-all he needed to know was where I lived so he could identify best Transmitter for Saorview.I collected it next day and indeed it was plug and play-Dish and Aerial already in place as I had from previous set up.I am happy with the box-but there is a problem on some channels in the heavy showers we've been having.No problem on dry days so I think the Dish and LNB probably need to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for that, @Morris Code , I’ll give them a shout.

I picked up one of these boxes from Satworld yesterday. Like Morris Code, I got them to configure the box for me, so I plugged it in and it was working with a manageable set of boquets, Saorview first, Freesat second etc, so all good. I manually tuned in Newstalk using the method above, so that was all part of my learning curve. Of course I couldn't resist messing around with the box and ended up doing a rescan, so I've been introduced to the delights of autoboquetmaker etc. I think I'm getting the gist of how the whole thing works.

My setup is Freesat dish + Saorview antenna. Only 1 feed from the dish which I've plugged into one of the Tuner A LNB IN connections. Saorview is connected to RF IN (Tuner B?).

However in Menu>Setup>Tuners and Scanning>Tuner Setup, tuner A is set to DVB-S2X / single / Sats:28.3E Astra 2E/2F/2G. Tuner B is set to DVB-S2X / equal to tuner A. Tuner C is set to Combined DVB-C/T2 / Mode: DVB-T2 (I messed around with these and may well have changed from the original configuration.

I have a few questions:

1. I now see a folder called 28.2E UK Bouquets that I don't recall being there originally. Did I do something strange? It just seems to duplicate a lot of stuff in the Freesat bouquets so I don't know what it's for.
    2. My TV's built-in sat tuner receives CNN HD but I don't see that anywhere in any of the bouquets on the Zgemma. Same with Channel 4 HD (which I was able to get on my old Amiko box). Can anyone hep me find these, or do it have to be tuned in manually?
    3. I can't see how to get a channel into the Favourites (TV) folder. An pointers? I assume this would allow me to mix Saorview and Freesat channels in a single folder, as I think I read on here somewhere. Sorry, it's a big thread now.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I hope to get the hang of the box eventually. Very happy with it, the look and the the ease of use so far, despite the above issues!

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@Murph_D

First off welcome to the addictive world of FTA boxes 😉. No need to apologise about noob questions. We were all noobs once.

I don't use ABM so can't really help you there but I wouldn't worry about the 28.E UK bouquet. Bouquets are just lists of channels to help organise them otherwise a complete scan of 28E gives over 900 channels.

I'm surprised that CH4HD and CNN HD are not in there somewhere. Although they FTA they are not part of the UK FreeSat listing which may explain it. Chances are they are in the 28E bouquet.

You will find CH4 HD on 11127 V 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

CNN HD is on 11671 H 23000 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK

KingofSat is handy to looking up other channel details https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

The easiest way to move channels around is using the WEBIF web interface. Enter the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any browser on the same network. One of the options is the "bouquet editor". Pick that, select BSKYB as the provider top left panel, highlight the channel you want to add bottom left panel, select the bouquet you want to add into top right panel and hit "Add selection to bouquet" button.

The newly added channel will appear at the bottom of the selected list on the bottom right. If you want to move it to another part of the list, grab the 3 lines in front of the channel name and drag up or down as required. You can also use this method to re-arrange the other channels.

You will find lots of other handy functions in WEBIF too.

And finally my age old warning. Just like a PC do regular backups of your settings so you can recover in seconds if/when you mess up. It saves many hours of swearing if you don't backup.

That's great, @Gerry Wicklow, many thanks. You're right, I found those HD channels, plus a few extra music channels I was looking for, in the BSKYB provider lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sounds like the ABM setup is using Freesat, if you configure it to use Sky UK and check FTA only you'll get Channel 4 HD, CNN HD and (in my mind at least) the channel order is more sensible.

Thanks - I have a feeling I got an error message when I tried Sky but I’ll try again. I’ve done an edit with WEBIF so all good for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Having trouble setting up my H7s. I previously had a Tiviar with OpenATV using the excellent image from Clareman. When recording on the Tiviar the recordings were placed in specific folders. ie This weeks 'Home and away' would all be recorded in a 'Home and away' folder. Now on the H7s image the various recordings are all just lumped in the /HDD/recordedTVprogrammes as opposed to /HDD/recordedTVprogrammes/Homeandaway

Could anyone point me in the direction of how to change setting or to achieve the above. I've looked but can't see anything obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

@a clanger: You can set autotimers to record to a custom location via Menu - Timers - AutoTimers - Home & Away - Use a custom location, select yes and then input the location. I'm not sure if there's a setting to get every programme to automatically record to their own folder.

I've a query about NFS hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot. It's installed and running on my Zgemma H7s box (OpenATV 6.4), but it's not being picked up on network scans or manually on two other boxes (both Amiko Alien 2s, one running OpenATV 6.1, the other PurE2 6.5). All three boxes can see NFS running on a NAS but not the Zgemma.

I tried a different image using multiboot (OpenATV 7 beta) but that wasn't picked up in a network scan either.

The box is visible on a Windows 10 desktop (FTP, miniDLNA), but I'd like to watch Zgemma recordings on the Amiko Aliens.

• Advertisement

Make sure NFS is enabled under Network utilities.

Is that under Menu → Setup → System → Network → NFS Setup, or are there utilities elsewhere? It's enabled there and set to autostart.

That should be the one. Alternately you could try minidlna which most smart TVs etc can see. I use DLNA and FTP depending on the devices.

I tried a different image using multiboot (OpenATV 7 beta) but that wasn't picked up in a network scan either.

Turns out different images on multiboot can share some files. I noticed the old image picked up the weather settings I'd disabled from the new image, so I assumed NFS setting were being shared too. Cleared both images and started fresh with PurE2 6.5 and NFS is now accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, currently have sky k but do I need a new lnb for the dish or should I be good to plug and play

Bought the box and I'm up and running but seem to have a problem with saorview

It seems to be pre loaded with openvix but only certain channels are playing on the saorview menu eg rte1 is fine rte2 isn't, likewise virgin 1/2 not but 3 is fine. The ones not working show a tune failed although the +1 variants work

I did a scan of saorview and it shows 33 channels although rte2 ect isn't there,

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried a manual scan of the two frequencies for your area? It sounds like you might be only scanning one mux. Check here if you need the details for your area https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

Hi Gerry, I'm in South dub and 3rock seems to be where its pointing to,

When I go Into manual scan it's saying 38 channels found although it's only showing the ones that are working already for me, I don't see an option to search a second freq or channel there

OK for 3rock you need to scan channel 30 (546Mhz) and 33 (570Mhz). If you are not getting channels on both frequencies there may be a problem with your aerial / connections.

EDIT: use the left/right buttons to select 30 or 33. Alternatively instead of 'Predefined Transponder' you can opt for 'Complete' but this will take a while to scan

Thanks Gerry I'm up and running now, ABM is preinstalled on it but say I go to 101 and get RTE1, it will only show the saorview channels, I need to press TV and select then from say entertainment music ect

To have all channels combined in a row do I need to add to favourites and create a list or is there another setting I'm missing to combine them?

• Advertisement

The easiest thing to do is use the WEBIF function. Enter the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser to launch it.

Select the BOUQUET EDITOR. Under providers top left panel select RTENL. Select your FAVOURITES bouquet top right panel. If you don't have a FAVOURITES already use the 'Add bouquet' button to create one. Highlight the channel you want to add to your favourites in the bottom left panel. Press 'Add Selection to Bouquet'. The newly added channel will appear at the bottom of the favourites list on bottom right panel. To rearrange the order in the favourites list, grab the 3 lines in front of the channel name and drag up / down to required location.

WEBIF is a very powerful tool so explore it when you have time.

Perfect thanks for your help Gerry!

Hi guys, another one for you

If a program is recording on saorview should I be able to watch another saorview channel? Eg virgin 1 is recording, but rte1 gives an error no free tuner, yet rte2, virgin media 2 all play fine? Any solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is because of the two separate frequencies being used as per the information in Post #560. The two different sets of channels are called Multiplex (Mux) 1 and 2. With only one terrestrial tuner you can only be on one frequency at a time.

https://www.digitaltv.org.uk/terrestrial-tv/saorview-channel-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hence why box records on your tuner and if your tv is setup with Saorview you view on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Is it possible to access the hardrive on Zgemma h7s using a laptop. I want to put downloaded movies stright on so i can play them through the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If its network connected you can ftp into the box using a tool like filezilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Ok thanks, cant just connect usb and drop file to harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Yes, you can. And I find it far quicker than using Filezilla. Connect a usb with file on it, press the "file list" button on the remote and you should be able to see the usb there (if not, press the yellow button for "location" and it should show up then).

• Advertisement

It should show up in windows file explorer under network. If not you may need to enable SAMBA on the box.

MENU>SETUP>NETWORK>UTILITIES>SAMBA

AFAIK If it's openATV you need to set a network password on the box before it will work. Another openATV improvement feature headache

Advertisement