Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayfielder

It's only likely to make the UK less attractive to foreign workers who attempt to enter the country illegally. Those who apply through the correct legal channels have nothing to fear. In that respect the USA's attitude towards the many Irish " undocumented " workers is exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭yagan

The UK is less attractive now for legitimate applicants as there'll no longer be an appeal in the instance of Windrush type deportation.

According to latest UK government figures - slightly skewed by Covid - there was a 19% increase in work-related visas issued to year end June 2021 compared to June 2020 but 7% fewer than the previous year.Skilled work, which accounts for 60% of work-related visas granted, saw the largest increase in visa numbers, up 16,775 or 19%. High value, Skilled worker, Temporary worker and Other work visas and exemptions routes all increased compared to the previous year.

The idea that the UK is no longer attractive to legitimate applicants isn't really born out by the figures and especially by the thousands of people prepared to risk their lives every month to enter illegally across the channel - most of them men aged under 35 - to find employment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How many of those visas were for EU citizens who were forced to apply for a visa in order to continue working in the UK under the EUSS (as opposed to people who just arrived in the UK)?

Settlement visas.

BTW, where did I say it was no longer attractive?

I said it would be less attractive.

• Advertisement

None.

There were 172,045 work-related visas granted to people living outside the UK in the year ending June 2021. The EUSS is a settlement status scheme and totally different.

5.2 million people have so far been granted settled status and the number granted in the year ending June 2021 is more than 3 milllion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Back to Brexit itself and Frost is still threatening to trigger Article 16 :

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/status/1464271847797764101

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

On note of the windrush scandal .... I had BBC radio 4 on whilst driving last week or weekend and some uncomfortable realities reared their heads regards the Home Office. I can't recall the exact context in which the topic got raised but it may have been news headlines. Something like only 5 people caught up in the Windrush debacle and who have been ruled as entitled to redress have actually seen any money from the government. On top of that, this sh1t is still going on with people being caught up in the Windrush net and treated absurdly with Machiavellian sadism (or incompetence; it's hard to tell which at times .. )

So yeah, it's really not a good look for any applicants, legitimate or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The channel tunnel was linking London to Paris and HS2 upgrading London links to the other 2/3 biggest cities in England.

A very different prospect to the building and long term upkeep involved in linking Belfast to Scotland which has no real world benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

I don't read many things on Daily Mail but read the odd thing to see what way the wind is blowing at that time with certain events but I always look at the comments to get a real feel of the temperature between those readers. Recently the tide has turned massively against Johnson. It is very noticeable and like all things it was a slight turn from the Mail recently and now heavy noise against the Premier. It would not surprise me to see more articles that are semi against Johnson and the tide turning quite quickly. There are a number of hurdles coming up, Christmas and all the shopping and all goods unavailability etc, winter and the possibility of extreme temps and power costs and the current UK system with power providers, continued migrants and new checks on 01 of next year. I would not be surprised to see a push very soon but to me it is obvious that his time is up and Johnson will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I’m secretly hoping that Macron has Castex and Darmanain steal his thunder and rip up the Le Touquet agreement first.

Yes, definitely very noticeable that Mail readers have turned on Johnson in the last couple of months. Those right wing press columnists and on social media still defending him may well be going against the general opinion of their own readers / followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Might be better if he stayed in place and lost the next election for them. If someone even half competent or convincing takes over they might even get voted in again.

It's also very noticeable that Geordie Greig, who turned the Mail from pro to anti Brexit, has been ousted as editor and Paul Dacre - the original Fleet Street Brexiteer - has returned as Editor-in-Chief.

It's also worth remembering that the UK is more than two years away from a likely general election.

And there's also a large number of Tory MPs who owe their seats to Johnson's popularity at the last election.

I'd also be delighted to read of any names in the current Tory front bench who anyone on here thinks can achieve the electoral success of Bozo.

For all his faults Boris is a superb electioneer with a great popular touch.

There is not a hope in hell the Tories will ditch him before the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This doesn't, on its own, establish that the UK is more attractive, or as attractive, to foreign workers as it was in the past. How many of those new visas were granted to someone who will simply replace a foreign worker who went home, and did not return? You need to subtract departures from arrivals to identify net increase or decrease in the foreign workforce, and if there has been a net decrease you can hardly cite that as evidence that the UK remains attractive.

I will pass over in diplomatic silence your attempt to claim refugees seeking protection in the UK as foreign workers seeking employment in order to bolster your case. If your case needs that kind of bolstering, it isn't very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

I just feel it may be forced upon them rather than a push by an over eager front bencher. He may well become very hard to defend at some short point in the future.

The Tories are ruthless when it comes to getting rid of leaders perceived as election liabilities.

I just don't see any viable alternative in their party at this stage.

That could change, of course.

Keep an eye on Reform UK, Farage's old Brexit Party.

They're currently polling around 6%, only just behind the LibDems and Greens.

If - and it's unlikely at the stage - Farage was to return to the fray they could begin to make serious inroads into Tory waverers.

Remember, at the last election the Brexit Party didn't stand in any constituency where the sitting MP voted Leave.

They gifted a significant number of votes to the Tories.

Farage has been warning all year about the growing number of cross channel migrants and it's still a very big concern among Tory voters.

I think it's this more than things like sleaze which will endanger Johnson.

But I could be wrong.The next two years are going to be fascinating.

You're right about the growing concerns of English Tory voters on migration, but it is of course an entirely manufactured 'crisis'. Let's say 40,000 people crossed the Channel in a year : that would be the equivalent of about 3000 asylum seekers going to Ireland - hardly something that would cause the Irish state to collapse.

But manufactured or not, it will be interesting to see where this whole debate goes and what impact it has on Johnson and the Tory Party.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Boris is not going to achieve the same results even if he's PM at the time either; because the rallying call he could use ("Get Brexit Done") is no longer relevant and he'll have four years of worsening economics (it will take yet another hit come Jan 1st. 2022 with origin requirements etc.) and no one to blame it on (majority of people will not buy the "EU is punishing us" gag after four years after the "wonderful" trade deals that's suppose to compensate). The problem for Boris is he is charming if he's there in casual doses in an "Oh Boris" headline every so often kind of way but being the PM and not sorting things out as promised will be a anchor on his neck. The problem for Tories is that there's no way around the realities of Brexit and the ongoing, and constant, set of bad news it will keep generating. Brexit was the rallying call to win last election and it will be an anchor next election due to the effects of it and I could see a new PM elected to simply blame it all on Boris bad policies but this new PM will "sort things out". Could very well be Priti to hone in on the "anti immigration" vote as well (with bonus points for female PM and immigrant allowing to deflect criticism as racism/misogyny instead of answering the question).

A YouGov poll yesterday showed that 51% of people think Brexit is 'going badly' with only 20% or so thinking the opposite. This is definitely intriguing and suggests the right wing press, Tory MPs, Brexit cheerleaders etc are losing the battle and losing control of the narrative (I guess it's literally impossible for them to cover up the growing evidence all around that their project is failing badly). How they handle the ongoing failure of Brexit is going to be one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem with the migration issue is that it is now focussed on the cross channel inflatables filled dangerously with migrants desperate to get to the UK. The instinct of the Tories is to blame France, and use megaphone diplomacy to get the message across. This does wonders for the support Britain needs to keep the pressure on the EU to provide plenty of cake for the Brexiteers to both have and to eat. Is that how to win friends?

Recently, France and Germany have both expressed strong support for the current NI Protocol, and for action to enforce it.

Add in the fishing licences that are in dispute between France and UK, and Dover is beginning to look like it will be a lorry park before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭farmerval

There's definitely a bit of too much Boris is a bad thing. Like seeing a comedian with the same routine, it wears thinner with time. I think a bigger issue over time will be his cabinet of uselessness, they can't seem to get anything right, they won't be able to point to much positives in policy at the next election.

It's easy to see Johnson moving ever more like Trump and sacking the likes of Patel if the migrant crossings continue; it's only inviting Farage to attack his right flank.

I also suspect that at some stage Frost will draw sufficient retaliatory measures from the EU he'll also get the chop. Boris is happy for those buffoons to push the envelope as far as possible, but when the balloon bursts, Boris won't have their back, only for stabbing purposes. I think it's telling that Boris talks about the Protocol needing adjustments and improvements and Frost banging the table demanding what he knows he won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lies, damn lies and statistics

A 7% reduction in visas compared to 2019 is massive especially when you consider that EU workers didn't need visas before 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

By that logic, a single illegal migrant crossing the channel is a "crisis". It is most certainly a problem, but as others have said, this "crisis" has been entirely manufactured for political sound-bites and media sales margins.

A BBC4 radio (yet again) show that I heard whilst driving home from work earlier in the week had a discussion around this very topic and it was great to hear someone point out that the numbers trying to reach the UK place it around 7th on the list of destinations, not 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to believe the shrill hysteria from certain .. ahem ... quarters. Breaking the numbers down per capita, the UK was more like 15th or 16th, so a bit of perspective on the issue regards the wider numbers is very much warranted (and alas shall not be done by those who really should stop and think about it before running their mouths off in the press)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well, given that the UK didn't do anything significant about illegal immigration pre-Brexit apart from spin lies that immigrants were the fault of the EU, why would you expect them to suddenly now start doing something about protecting their borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess the issue with 'much reduced majority' is that the vulnerable seats are largely going to be from the new intake you referred to earlier that (the North Wall-ers).

So whilst they have a certain loyalty to Boris for helping get elected in the first place, how far does it extend? "What have you done for me lately?" as the saying goes. I suspect a lot of loyalty will disappear at the first hint that AN Other in charge would up the Tory vote by 2% increasing their chances of saving their seat.

There'll also be an element of which way is the wind blowing - it's always better to be on the winning team in any leadership situation.

Personally I think the plan was a spring/summer 2023 election from a position of leading in the polls, with Johnson resigning a year later to make lots of money on the circuit. And enough of the contenders would have been happy to bide their time until then. But as you say 'events, dear boy'.

There's a key word missing from your analysis and that is Labour.

Johnson is lucky to have a disorganised Labour party with a third-rate front bench led by a perfectly decent but ultimately dull man who has yet to land a significant punch on the PM.

You've only got to look at the recent 2nd jobs fiasco where Labour launched a big push on Cox for being a millionaire lawyer doing foxxers without thinking about their own milllionaire lawyer leader who wanted to do foxxers until he was stopped by Jeremy Corbyn of all people.

The plain fact is that Labour voters who deserted the party over its stance on Brexit will always remember Starmers many attempts to overturn the referendum result. Labour's only hope of power in the future without being either a minority government or in a coaltion with the SNP is the leader after Starmer.

If it happens before the next election, which I doubt, Bozo would be in real trouble. This is where the Tories have always been more ruthless than Labour when it comes to party leaders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Back on topic please. Please feel free to discuss the refugee situation elsewhere.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Big picture, French people aren’t migrating to the U.K. France and every other country in the world must be incentivised to have illegal people leave their land, and in this case outside EU borders is a bonus?

Is there laws or parts of Brexit which compel France to stop people leaving France? Or is it just British domestic political distraction that paints France as the problem?

😎

• Advertisement

Thanks to Brexit there's little chance of being sent back, which is probably why attempts have massively increased this year. Johnson and Co may try to play this up as the French being French, but it's the same for any attempt from any EU jurisdiction.

Advertisement