Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

And I shake my head when anti-drug supporters say let's continue with prohibition. It's about 50 years since Nixon declared The War on Drugs and they were illegal then. It"only" took 6 to defeat Hitler. I love the way prohibitionists can predict the future, will u lend me your crystal ball, I wanna get the winning lottery numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well see, theres a tiny problem with what you said there - I am not an anti-drug supporter. I don't care what people put in their body. Personal choice. But let's be realistic here. You can't just flip the switch and make drugs legal without problems. It's not all going to magically fit together and be fine.

It's not about having a magic ball. It's called foresight. Take those head shops years ago. They were still selling illegal drugs under the counter and one shop even burned down - by drug dealers it was suspected. See all that was a variable. An unforeseen variable. If you wish drugs to be legal then that's fine. You have to accept that it will not go smoothly and there will be unforeseen variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭mikethecop

great for you, mabey you have a better doctor or a more prsonsilble with your meds that some .

there is a massive out of control and hugely damaging opiate problem in the US and a lit if it is down to greedy doctors and dodgy pharma , dopesick is the current show about it

There are even more problems with prohibition. The above link about the Marks program explains them.

Then there's also problems with that. As I say, there's always variables. Nothing of this nature is smooth sailing.

Like, my two cents are that hash will be legal at some point in Ireland. You see places like California doing it and Ireland is the same country that brought in Smoking Ban, Gay marriage, first female president yonks ago. What I mean is I don't think its a far stretch to say hash will be legal at some point.

Something like coke could never be. To make cocaine you have to use kerosene and bleach to break down the coca leaf. There's no way say, on one hand you have special shops selling that. Then on the other we still have drug manufacturing laws.

• Advertisement

I don't know anything legal which is 100% perfect, but there is room for vast improvement concerning the laws on drugs. Prohibition has failed why not try legalization, lets not knock it 'til we try it. If your opinion is accurate then revert to prohibition. I believe cocaine could and should be made legal. The use of kerosene and bleach in its production hasn't deterred people from taking it, including myself. If legal it's more likely to be safer. As it is over 99% who take it do not die from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Heroin didn't take your friends life; they did, or the problems associated with drug illegality did.

Many years ago, I attended a talk in a foreign country about drugs, given by a chief coroner. He said that on every single day of the year, he could point to a body on his slab that was there because of alcohol consumption and that in a given year, he might get one that was attributable to heroin use, but then emphasised that unlike the alcohol deaths which were due to it's toxicity, the heroin ones were the result of dosing accidents caused by the great variability in purity or occasionally due to toxicity of the substances it was cut with. Both of these were a direct result of the illegality of the drug, not the drug itself, which is not toxic and is widely used in hospitals worldwide as diamorphine. He argued that if addicts had access to known dose high purity heroin, like diamorphine, accidental overdoses wouldn't hardly occur and the deaths from it's use would be near zero. He gave the example of wealthy middle class professionals, who were long term users and who had been using heroin for 30+ years with no appreciable negative health consequences.

There have been a couple of highly publicised and hyped deaths in the Uk attributed to MDMA use. The reporting is usually entirely and deliberately deceitful and in the same category as attributing deaths to heroin, rather than the negative factors in it's supply chain. The stories are slanted to portray MDMA as a dangerous drug and that the 'victims' died because of this. What actually happened was that the 'victims' poisoned themselves with water by drinking too much of it because they had read stories warning of dehydration while raving and had overcompensated and drank too much water in too short a time span, which leads to a reduction in salinity of the blood supply and then death.

The illegality, and ignorance about drugs that it encourages, is the most deadly aspect of illicit drugs, and that is probably less than the damage from negative social and legal consequences.

The sugar in Coca Cola can have negative health consequences, but it's widely available, relatively cheap and so doesn't require huge sums of money and criminality to support a habit. It doesn't have negative consequences for employment as there is no stigma and no criminal record.

Almost all of the negative consequences of illegal drugs, stems from them being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'm going to knock you out immediately if you bring up any interest in drugs. I don't care if you're depressed or some kind of maniac, the second you tell me you're into drugs I'm swinging on you, and you need to be a big boy to deal with what I'm bringing. Nobody I know is into drugs, also nobody I know is broke or struggling. Most of the guys I know are looking into some kind of major physical test in the next 6 months, be it marathons or mountains. You want into that, you don't smoke, take drugs, or drink to excess. You don't like that, we're probably not the crew for you. And if you don't like jazz we'll kill you in your sleep. Aside from that, welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭katherineconlan

That's why I said that diamorphine pills should be prescribed for people who are already heroin addicts. It's used in extenuating circumstances for those in terminal stages of cancer, so it can be used (though cautiously) for people already addicted to the street form of the drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

This has actually got to be the most ridiculous ill informed thing I've ever read on boards.

I'm relatively young from a middle class background myself and you wouldn't believe how many people are using it regularly and most people seem to do it on occasion and I guarantee 99% of the parents of those kids have the same attitude as you who think of their children as angels who would never take drugs.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest, people don't care where or how it's made. They just care about the high.

But let's say you are right. Cocaine becomes legal. Let's take a look at potential variables. First up the Irish government could never let any legal seller sell cocaine obtained through the Columbian cartels or other drug cartels. We would be complicit in the south american drug war.

You say safely make it. Let's dig into that. So instead of using kerosene and bleach. Other, more safer chemicals are used. So the price tag of this legal safer coke is much, much higher than illegal coke. That's if Ireland would allow a manufacturing plant to exist in the first place. It is one thing to pass a law allowing use and then manufacturing.

But let us say that comes to pass. So you got a legal and 'safe' coke. Which costs so much more. High most likely won't be the same. So there is always a market for a drug dealer to sell the 'real' stuff.

However, let's envision a world where coke is safe and you can go into specialty shops and purchase

Then a bunch of scumbags who call themselves a drug gang, who used to sell coke will start selling heroin. Suddenly heroin becomes cheaper. I did say the more things change the more they stay the same.

Cocaine as pure as cocaine comes sells for about 3 euro a gram in Columbia we pay a 100 a gram over here for stuff nowhere near as pure because of all the trouble it takes to get it transported over so I don't think price would be any higher than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hahah I agree. That guy has 0 clue. Surely the vast majority of working professionals between the ages of 22-30 take drugs these days? Lawyers, accountants, consultants, doctors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

this, the scumbags would make theirs more potent.

you couldn’t get it off the streets as white powder looks the same. So... keep it illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Why would that be a bad thing? Surely it would come down to supply/demand. People opting for the 'safer' alternative would cut into the market share of the criminals, therefore making their business model less lucrative. I don't see any downsides tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because people will end up craving a stronger hit...

it would play into the hands of the criminals who would seek to maintain market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Well one of the banks tested every toilet for traces of coke a good few years ago and practically every cubicle came back positive. Maybe it was just one guy with a really bad habit that using all the toilets in the multiple building or just maybe it's kept quiet as it would not help with their career prospects. I know which one I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭katherineconlan

True. The stereotype that it's only the 'homeless junkies' who do drugs is stupid. Middle class people use drugs as much. If you think about it, there's no way for drug kingpins to be making all that money from coke and heroin if only working class people took it.

I imagine that any middle/upper class person that took cocaine would be quite reluctant to divulge their drug habits to their friends or coworkers lest they get ostracized. Even though use is common, it's still has a stigma to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

cannabis is legal in many american states, 1000 s of people use it every week, its not a hard drug,as long as you are not driving its safe to use in moderate quantitys.cocaine is used by people in the media,showbiz etc its expensive .i dont think i could walk if i drunk 7 pints, 2 pints is my limit in one night.cannabis is a good painkiller that has few side effects versus standard drugs from the chemist .using cannabis is like having a pint its not gonna wreck you or turn you into a raving drug addict.

• Advertisement

You assume that people will opt for safer......Addicts will always opt for the strongest fasted high if they were concerned about safety they probably wouldn't have started on drugs in the first place. If you legalise it all that will happen is people will sell the legal stuff to buy stronger illegal stuff and their addictions will become more chronic

As Harry said coke is dirt cheap in Colombia, by the time it gets to Europe it has to go through many middle men so the price rises. If we could cut them out the price would be lower. As for the government dealing with cartels, if enough countries negotiated with them, it could be done. Members of the IRA were considered criminals then they became legitimate politicians. Heroin is practically legal via the methadone scheme, injection rooms are coming, addicts can get clean needles from Merchants Quay and some countries give heroin to addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was there?

I'm in my mid 40's too and I can tell you that there absolutely weren't the amount of heroin zombies knocking around town as there is nowadays. A walk down Thomas Street this afternoon and I saw two separate people shooting up, a couple that looked like they were off to score, and in town there were another couple off their face as well.

While that piece of shit Larry Dunne had a huge impact on drugs and drug use in Ireland from the late 1970's, there just wasn't the amount of usage as there is today I don't think. Plus, there's a whole heap of other crap like coke knocking around these days as well. So yeah, while "massively" might be some what of an overstatement, I'd say that there's more heroin addicts today than during the 80's/90's on average.

As for legalising the likes of heroin, anyone that thinks that that's a good idea needs their fucking head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It wouldn't shut down any illegality at all. That's just a fantasy. The criminal gangs would just undercut the legal price and sell harder stuff.

Different though to the IRA who fought a guerilla war against Britain and always had a significant amount of support in Ireland estimated to have never dropped below 20% rather than the cartels who are solely involved for money and selfish interests.

100% correct..... Tobacco being legal hasn't stopped a big trade in illegal tobacco in Ireland.

I doubt even anywhere near 1% of people in Ireland buy their tobacco illegally, there are people who buy cigarettes cheap and bring back them back on holiday for themselves or for family and friends but that doesn't compare with how things would work when it came to drugs.

That's because the Irish government puts too much tax on them. In Spain they're about one third the price they are here and in Gibraltar and other places they're even cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement

They bring tobacco in on containers and there is a large market for it which has made a lot of money.

Advertisement