Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 11 - HBO Max (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think good comedy is my thing. We're different like that :)

Is that a reference to me? I never said that the casting of Leon is stereotypical racism. Read my previous posts accurately if you want to have a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

What sort of comedy would you call good? What shows or any stand-up do you like? I am genuinely interested.

Going to see Ricky Gervais next week. Any thoughts on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Well as I said I grew up in a black neighborhood in the US where on more than one occasion I was beat up, sucker punched, had items robbed from me before specifically because I was the white boy so I've probably experienced a lot more racism than yourself. I've also likely been around a lot more black American males than you have and lots of them act like Leon. Some I knew were even crazier. And none of them would think the show is racist. Unless you use an actual racial slur they aren't bothered, much like the Irish they usually have a good sense of humour about themselves. Omg there I go stereotyping again.

• Advertisement

Well, seeing as you asked nicely :) ... I like a lot of Norm MacDonald's comedy (not really his stand up though; just Norm yakking on), same with Louis CK (his stand up; not a fan of the guy himself as he kind of disappeared up his own arse before his fall from grace), Alan Partridge/Steve Coogan, Eastbound and Down, 30 Rock, Blackadder, Bottom, Fawlty Towers, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders show/Garry Shandling. Even old school joke-tellers like Rodney Dangerfield. Patrice O'Neal was one of the funniest, craziest guys I ever heard. Again, not so much as a stand up but as a person.

Ricky Gervais: I loved The Office, liked Extras, pretty much hated everything else, especially his stand up, mostly because he's not a stand up, but a famous comedy actor/writer who exploited his fame to sell out stadiums. I find his "edgy/controversial" material desperate; can't stand when comedians do that and attack low-hanging fruit. Oh, I made a joke about a disabled person, or a trans person...how brave! God, I f*cking hate British stand up (I used to like Sean Hughes and Jack Dee back in the day, but that's about it).

I don't doubt that you knew people that acted like you say they did, that they were almost stereotypes themselves. I encountered that in America too with many different races. All I'm saying is that I used to love Curb because Larry was smart enough to say offensive sh*t and have stereotypes in the show, but he'd end up making himself the butt of the joke/loser in the end. The show hasn't done that recently, and there's more of a "isn't Larry great, let's cheer him for being offensive and challenging PC-culture" feel to the show. And having Leon there as the only black character sticks in my craw because all I see is the stereotype now. Leon was hilarious when there were other black characters around him, now he's just a token character with no reason to be there, repeating his same tired shtick. Mind you, the rest of the show seems uninspired now too. It used to be very smart and inspired, but now it's lazy. Even in the last episode Larry mentioned someone's pronouns assuming they were "they". It was just a throwaway line, just to show Larry addressing this issue, but old Curb would have made this into a storyline with confusion caused by peoples chosen pronouns. Just my 2 cents. Forget about me. What do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Episode 4 was a hoot!

Literally. 😃

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You were making some sense until you brought up Apu. One of the biggest issues with that portrayal was the fact the character was voiced by a white man. Kind of like saying it would be ok if Leon was portrayed by an actor in black face.

Christ almighty can we just talk about curb and take the race debate somewhere else?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I dunno, I find it funny that people get offended.

Just watched ep 4, a classic, some Klansmen might be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That was hilarious and i think it was made funnier from all the bollox posting in here recently. Best ep of the new season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So you think it's ok to be racist, as long as kids don't know you're being racist? And don't more adults watch the Simpsons than kids?

It really is time to leave the ruckus behind, and to move on from this race debate, and just get back to curb.

Enjoyed episode 4 more than the previous episodes. Love the wardrobe they made Woody wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read before that Woody only wears clothes made of hemp. Made it funnier he was able to take the piss out of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,481 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭Glebee

Episode was decent, hopefully getting back on track after a slow start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thought Ep4, but wondered why Leon and other black people couldn't eat watermelon? Is that a reference back to a previous episode or something?

Edit: It's ok, I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

Excellent last two episodes. The decent klansman haha.

Kaley Cuoco could work pretty well in that show full time. Woody good too.

By the way I like that Curb totally adheres to the principle of Chekhov's gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just watched ep 4 and all I could think of with the watermelon bit was the lad here that keeps tying himself up in knots about Leon. In fact it's a bit Larry Davidesque you could say.

...and thoroughly reading a person's comments and trying to understand the point they were trying to make may not be for you :) As I said multiple times I loved Curb up until season 8 and it's been downhill ever since...IN MY OPINION!!!

This week's episode was an improvement, mostly thanks to the white supremacist and Woody Harrelson, and especially Kaley Cuoco. Didn't find the Leon bit particularly funny, mainly because it wasn't. Yes, Larry addressed a stereotype associated with black people, but could he make it a bit funnier than that? Let's see what crazy antics they will have Leon perform next week with his little tacked-on storylines! I'd give this episode a 5/10.

I think you're all a bit obsessed with me on this thread. While it's good to know that I impact so many peoples' minds, it is a little weird too. I only expressed an opinion and as the great Norm MacDonald said "opinions are like assholes. Neil Patrick Harris wants to cram...". Better leave that one there :)

Let me ask you something … have you tried the Mary Tyler Moore show?

No, but I must get around to watching it: it's supposed to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

loved episode 4, loved the scenes with the Klansman and Larry.

When he walked in with Mary Ferguson at the end I was cringing as to what Leon would be up to behind that door.

Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That Nancy palosi banter with the klans man was hilarious, also classic susie when asked did she know any farmers 😂😂

Episode 5 is brilliant, as good as any I've seen in the early seasons.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Just caught up with (first 5) episodes on Now TV so far. I'll finish the season, but think it may have run its course for me. Things seem a bit forced and maybe the whole schtick is getting a bit over-familiar. I thought the same at the start of the last season but then felt things picked up, if I recall; this time not so much. Having said that, I'll probably tune in again if there's another season 🤪 [Posting this before looking at others' comments so far.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

It has a good track record, allright, though I'm still waiting for the toilet seat to come up (as it were) again, maybe in the context of an ambiguous "they" or somesuch...

Advertisement