Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 11 - HBO Max (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Episode 3 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭furiousox

Episode 3 is as good as any classic episode of Curb.

"Goebbels is the GOAT" 😂

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

S11 just not doing it for me😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It was a slight improvement, but still it feels very tired. You would wonder why they bothered? I don't think I laughed at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the guy getting offended on behalf of all black people , you actually come across more bigoted , a black person can be written lazy or work shy.

anyhoo the demise of curb is often predicted on here , and it’s not as good as it once was , why did they bother etc . watching every week and telling everyone it’s no longer any good , why are you watching bad racist tv every week , do you just want to be outraged?

it’s curb , it’s great .episodes like a disturbance in the kitchen or the ugly side of the restaurant are now classics ,where run down by these folks at the time .

• Advertisement

I'm not getting offended on behalf of all black people. I'm just pointing out that Leon is a racial stereotype; that's fairly obvious if you looked into the history of racial stereotypes in America. It is particularly jarring because Leon is the only black guy in a show populated by rich Jews and whites. Plus he's not funny anymore which is the worst part! You enjoy watching racial stereotypes and that's fine. Have fun :)

Also I continue to watch in the hope that it will improve. Curb used to be one of my favourite comedy shows, and I love Larry, so I will continue to post my opinions. If you don't like, don't engage! Worry about your own stupid feedback rather than looking for petty arguments. For the record I only replied to anyone on this thread because they attacked my opinions. And I will continue to do so, so bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Again you are putting your prejudices against Black people into the minds of the writers of this show , this shouts your bigotry not Larry or anyone else connected to the show.

There has been many jokes about racism in the show and in typical Curb fashion Larry is using peoples bigotry to poke fun and subvert what Racism actually is . Obviously this is too subtle for you.

You keep saying Leon is the only black character , there have been many black characters in the show .

Quit your white knighting , as usual the person shouting loudest about these things is usually just mirroring their own bigotry and phobias.

You're the one commenting on my comments and I clearly poked something within you to get such a reaction. Maybe you're the bigot?! Why don't you just enjoy your little stereotypes and not apologise for it? Watch Leon talkin' zany **** to the whities. And the new Mexican girl dancing around and acting zany! Maybe they'll get an Irish leprachaun character next week, although you probably would have a bit of "outrage" at that (people like you usually have double standards). I love your terminology too: "outrage", "white knighting" - don't you have a BLM thread to troll? Yes, they did have other black characters in the show (well done for noticing) but they are not there now, which makes Leon's presence even more jarring. The only black character is now a racial stereotype. Wanda Sykes used to be a good foil to Larry. Where's she gone?

Larry used to be subversive and clever, now he's just an old white man who thinks laughing at stereotypes, without subverting them, is funny. Enjoy, and know that everytime you reply to my comments I enjoy the fact that I have clearly annoyed the inner racist in you. Either that or you just have bad taste in comedy :)

p.s. You do have the option of ignoring my replies. As Lisa Simpson once sang "just don't look, just don't look" :)

Ah so if I don't agree with you that something is racist it is because I am racist.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Curb has always been a show too subtle for some people , You don't think its funny and you think its racist , we have heard you , now leave us humourless racists to enjoy our show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Enough!!

And if I point out something that I think is lazy stereotyping (and unfunny), it's because I'm an inner bigot??? I'm highlighting how stupid both your logic and amateur psychology are. Leave well enough alone now. You're the one who keeps replying to me. Why don't you let me have my opinion and just walk on by? In general, life is a lot easier if you do that. Just focus on the positives.

Curb was fantastic from Season 1 through to 8, then it lost something (probably because of the large gap between season 8 and 9). Larry used to have his finger on the pulse of modern comedy - he practically invented it - but nobody can stay at the top forever. Yes, his comedy was subtle, but also quite unsubtle; either way, I don't care what it is so long as it's funny. It's not funny anymore and maybe I wouldn't notice the racial stereotypes so much if I was distracted by my laughter! I'll continue to watch it out of some stupid sense of loyalty to the show and in the hope of an occasional classic scene, like Larry trying to deflate the sex doll in the last season.

Now go enjoy your "subtle" comedy with Leon talkin' jive, random sh*t and the Mexican girl, gyrating and acting insane, and serving tacos. That's real subtle and clearly goes above my head :)

He started it :) Much like the previous poster that attacked me. The opinion police are out in force on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd give this series a 6/10 so far.

I liked the non binary joke in the opening scene of season 3.

you had 10 posts derailing the thread about racism in the show before I said anything , but go on your the victim standing up for yourself.

I will leave it at this ...

Comedy as an artform often holds up a mirror to society and pokes fun at racism and bigotry , the tone and context of the joke is very important , we often see warriors like yourself converting things to text and pointing and screaming aha look !, this is bad and because I spotted it arn't i good. We should forgive you though as Larry is often even more subtle than other top comedians , and the context can be over a season or with Leon over several seasons not just an episode or a scene.

You though should be willing to accept that just because you think aha racism, its still only your opinion , it doesn't mean racism be here and that the idea you might have missed the joke is a possibility and you should be open to having things explained to you.

Myself and the other poster had let things lie (which he had started by attacking my opinion; I defended myself). You then started in on me, and wouldn't let things lie after that. These are facts. Leon playing a racial stereotype character is also a fact. Curb used to be subversive, but more importantly, funny, and did racial stereotypes quite well; not so much now though. That's my opinion. You seem quite bothered that I pointed out something that I found jarring. I don't think Larry or the writers are racist, but I do think they are lazy, and they should come up with something funnier in the best tradition of Curb. Lazy stereotypes are just not funny to me, but others, like yourself, seem to enjoy them, so live and let live :)

I think you should take a lie down. "Warriors" like me (that is, people expressing an opinion that you don't like) seem to have a negative impact on you.

Calm down Rafa

your facts are in fact just opinions .

I am just pointing out that in my opinion , where you are seeing racism and lazy writing , it is actually humour to subtle for you . Find an easier show and leave off casting racism dispersions on everybody who moves. Because again in my opinion that kind of behaviour is actually a real racist trying to hide in the grass.

Apologies to the other posters on this thread. I thought that this was a place to express our opinions about Curb, but I'm wrong apparently. I will continue to defend my opinions if they continue to be attacked, so hopefully others will just let things lie and worry about their own contributions.

One thing in the last episode: Leon putting up signs looking for a Mary Ferguson. Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to scour social media and send his proposition to the Marys that he liked the look of?

Lewis will only be in one episode because he was very ill throughout filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Yes, as I mentioned, the racial stereotypes are clearly too subtle for me in this show! You can enjoy them, you and your other friends on this thread. Also (again) I'm only arguing with people that attack my opinions; people like you that cannot seem to live and let live. Look, you like lazy stereotypes, I get it. There's nothing wrong with you. It's just who you are. Don't worry about it.

Really? I could think of numerous ways to make Leon hunting Mary Fergusons on Facebook funny, plus it might actually give him something to do, rather than popping up, saying something zany/unfunny to entertain Larry, and then wandering off back to his pointless existence. How is Leon keeping a dog for 6 years funny? It makes him sound like a piece of ****...oh wait, that's what they do with racial stereotypes. Black man = unemployed, feckless, moocher, squatter, dog thief, sexually promiscuous. What next? Killed by the police? That should be a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Can any one recommend a good comedy with lots of negative racial stereotypes?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

If you find Leon's character offensive than Curb really isn't for you. The fact that Larry named the black family he took in 'The Blacks' tells you all you need to know about where the show is coming from. The whole point of the show is how eschewing social norms because they are absurd leads to even more absurdity, and laughing at the audacity of an old white Jew who doesn't give a F.

The show walks some fine lines but never feels like it is mean spirited or hateful.

I lived in a US city with a high black population and knew/went to school with plenty of guys who talked and acted a lot like Leon. And they were feckin hilarious. That's why Larry has him in the show. It may be stereotypical but it's not unrealistic and it is (usually) funny.

If Leon didn't act like a stereotypical black guy then the juxtaposition of him with Larry's world wouldn't be funny. In Curb the actors are allowed to improvise a lot and I'm sure JB Smoove has input to his dialogue. If he isn't offended by his character why should white people be? Curb actually has plenty of black fans specifically because Larry keeps it real and there is a lack of corniness in the writing.

If you watch Killinascully or Young Offenders then there are Irish stereotypes and tbh they are exaggerated more than Leon is. To me this is just like the ridiculous nonsense leading to the Simpsons taking Apu off the show. Go to the US and the majority of those types of shops are in fact owned by someone from the Middle East. Most of them not as friendly as Apu!

Maybe if you were the victim of racism, then you'd have a different perspective on these harmless stereotypes. Be grateful that you haven't and enjoy your cheap laughs. And it's a false equivalency to say Curb is like Irish shows: they are made by and star Irish people. We love poking fun at ourselves apparently, but wouldn't like it if there was a ridiculously stereotypical Irish character in, say, an English comedy or soap opera. It's just a lazy double standard again.

Have JB Smoove doing something that isn't stereotypical. Subvert the character and make him funny again. Otherwise get rid of him. Larry finds him so funny, and he's a comedian in real life? Maybe have him get into comedy in the show? Give his participation in the show a point.

Yes, his surname is Black. And the joke there was that Larry found this hilarious, but Cheryl looked at him with disdain that he found something so dumb funny. As do people here apparently. I think some of you have missed what made Curb so great in the first place. It used to be subversive, now it appeals to the people it used to poke fun at.

I love the fact that so many of you are so tightly-wound about this subject. It's funnier than the show :) And the old I have black friends/I know people like Leon is hilarious too. Did they just stand around talking **** for your amusement, or did their life have a purpose? Were they in Hollywood squatting in a rich man's house? I have no problem with funny black guys; I have a problem with lazy stereotyping that isn't funny.

Also the Simpsons like Curb ceased to funny in Season 8 :)

Lots of people getting sand in their vaginas over comedy these days what’s going on ?

how did Jimmy care and frankie Boyle get away with it 😂😂😂

Maybe their audiences were pieces of **** who liked laughing at easy targets? :) Seriously though, both of them are about as appealing as a child molester. Never understood their success. But clearly there are people who enjoy offensive comedy when it is at the expense of others less privileged. Real brave, edgy stuff. But sure it's only banter! Can't we laugh at each other anymore??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Anyone who thinks that the casting of Leon is stereotypical racism is missing the point of the show. One of the funniest bits of ep3 was when the Hulu exec says you can’t ask if the actress is Jewish, Larry being Jewish, says “are you **** kidding me, you can’t ask if she is Jewish?” Shows the stupidity of how PC society has become.

Thought the Goebbels scene was one of the best in years.

Advertisement