Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Averaging 19.2MPG - 14.7l/100km

I've done 3000kms so far in my 2021 BMW M3 Competition, was at 17ish for the first 2000kms so improving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

And I thought my R was bad!

I think petrol is a lot cheaper where you are though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭WacoKid

BMW 530e

Fully charged >90MPG

Petrol only no charge, cold morning, stop/start for 5 km...16MPG!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

68c a litre for 98 Octane

I do a lot of city driving, it sits are 30MPG on long drives at 140kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Had a rental 530e for 5 days on a trip to Scotland last month. Surprised how bad it was on petrol. Think I only managed low 30s over 1500km and most of my driving was continous at speeds of around 80kmh. I'm not sure they make sense as to get the most out of them you need to be doing mostly short journeys on electric only and a 5 series seems overkill for that kind of driving.

• Advertisement

Previously had a 6 cylinder 5 series petrol and a 6 cyclinder A6 diesel, and all 3 give the same mpg for the short drive from cold. On the motorway the A6 was best but thats obvious being a diesel. Other 2 around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

44.2mpg avg but have seen 50 mpg on longer journeys

A6 3.0TDI Quattro 286 BHP

That's fantastic for one of them, some beast of a car the torque is outstanding 💥

I had 2018 A6 50TDI (3l 286 bhp) and in my driving conditions wasn't getting those numbers. Mine rarely seen a motorway or got up to full operating temp so MPG needs to be considered against its usage. Don't get me wrong it should live on the motorway and those are I'm guessing largely motorway figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

7.0 l/100km motorway/ N road driving Octavia 1.0 TSI 2020.

Had expected it would be a lot better than that - driving a 1.6 diesel previously was returning 5.0 to 5.2 l/ 100km so taking the extra cost of petrol its working out a lot more expensive than expected - given the choice tomorrow I'd replace it with a new diesel

That's what I was getting from my 172 one, they're a thirsty little bugger. The 09 TSI I had before it was always in the 40's mpg, it's best was 47 which I thought was very good for a 09 car, that engine was so smooth and silent I loved that bloody car. The 3 cylinder yoke sounds like a bag of nails, horrible engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2003 996 3.6 C2 Cabrio: 23 mpg-ish. Go faster and it actually uses less - got up to 26mpg once.

The SO commutes a CLS220 and gets about 5l/100km in it - which is more economical than my son's 1.4 Astra (38mpg)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That's mental. I got 5.2L/100km Dublin to Mayo return fully loaded with passengers and a boot full of luggage at 124kph. 60-80kph backroads going to work, 20 minute trip with some start stop traffic through the village is 5.5-6L. Return trip to Dublin city centre and back to Lucan is around 5.8-6L. Shorter trips (say 8km return to my mam's house, lots of roundabouts and lights) I'll see 6.5L or so. Getting into Christmas traffic around Liffey Valley for example I'll probably see 7L. Averaging 6.5L when factoring in the short trips (half of which I should be using my bike...)

Took about 7,000km for the consumption to drop from 7-8L/100km though. I wonder why such a big difference in consumption. I'm always at the speed limit when possible and definitely not driving like a granny. Often in Sport mode with the DSG particularly in traffic just for the better throttle response.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

I was thinking similar. Petrols are a lot more sensitive to how you drive compared to diesel.

I tried everything with my one, I did get an update done by the dealer which improved it for about 6 weeks but it was gradually starting to slide back to its old ways, I was glad to be rid of it tbh. The engine always sounded like a bag of nails when it being particularly thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

22mpg in my 1993 e30 bmw 325i manual. 170bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

53mpg - 2008 bmw 520d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

2015 520d MSport auto varies hugely depending on driving.

Currently seeing about 34MPG with short distance urban driving only.

Motorway driving 120km/hr ish about 46mpg and N road 100 km/hr driving 50+ mpg.

I have got 58mpg on a 5 hour drive in the UK at 80-100 km/hr.

Really depends how you drive it but they really drink the juice around town and if you give it some welly on the motorway.

Costing almost 100 to fill these days but it's an absolute joy to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I always refill when I'm at over one third, combined seems to be 30mpg, which is okay for a 50 year old car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

13 A6 avant 2.0 diesel auto sampled over 3 months on the n81, a few trips over the Wicklow gap and two runs to Belfast....

39 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I had a roof rack on it which will explain partly why its not as good as yours- but my diesel comparison is valid as that had the same rack too. Its a manual not DSG and it only has 10,000km on it so maybe it will improve with age.

Overall I calculate its costing €750 a year more to fuel versus the diesel doing 20,000km per annum. I'm taking it on another 700km trip this week across the country so hopefully it does better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Havent posted in this thread for a while.

2004 vw touran 1.6 petrol auto - 32 mpg

2001 peugeot partner 1.9 dw8 n/a diesel van - 41mpg (she'd be much better with a longer final gear)

172 Ioniq EV - 151 wh/km

First accurate figures for the iV Superb. 1556km, filled the tank €81@ 169.9 per litre 47.68litres, total units used 231, 87 of them were on the free Lidl charger but for accuracy I'm costing them at my home unit rate of 18c. Total spend for the 1556km was €122.58. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭[Steve]

Getting 5.4l/100km(52MPG) from my Focus saloon 1.6TDCi now compared to 7.4l/100km(38MPG) when I first got it 3 weeks ago. Handy enough.

Might see if I can get it to 5 or below if I’m less lead footed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I had a 2016 1.5 focus diesel and the on board mpg would read an average of 7l/100km doing mainly city driving and after a few months it would drop down to 4 or 5l/100kms. Presumed it was faulty and could be similar with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭[Steve]

Ill have to see how it goes but that sounds interesting. Haven’t noticed fuel usage being out of norm though.

Mine read the same with city driving (7.4l/100k) but I’ve been taking longer trips 80-100kmh for 1-2h and it dropped to 5.4l/100k at that point. I’ll see if it goes back up once I’ve been in city more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

5.6L / 100kms Mk10 Civic 1.5 (not in eco mode)

Mainly short commutes of 15 minutes

Advertisement