Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climate change protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭green daries

They agreed that they could do f all About closing them and everyone staged a protest against the closure it was a shame that it was let go. Re. Farmers getting cute I'm afraid wrangler farmers who farmed the type of system is what will be going. I don't begrude it but the extensive farms that are mostly part time is what's going to exist in huge parts of the country. we were entitled to the largest payments at the start of the cap because of the way it was incentivised, but we got away with the payments the last two times.imo the cards are now stacked in favour of the smaller and more extensive farms.

Everything is going up as far as I can see most things you can buy have nearly gone up by 25% minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's what I meant by being cute, do what I did , follow the subsidies if they're worth claiming. nothing in farming is as easy got as the subsidies. (up to now anyway)

Any increase in production depends on the farmer, the land etc, but it should be considered too, but cattle need a serious price rise when you see lambs €3/kg DW more that beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I am in full agreement. But there’s nothing cute looking about re coupling payments to production and demanding no cuts to beef production!

Theres a direct correlation between farmgate income and handy scheme money, and there’s a direct correlation between Irish beef price and supply of Irish beef no matter where this meat is being exported.

No cute fellow would have anything to do with this protest.

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Then why are hauliers going protesting. If rates are going up what is the protest about. What do they intend to achieve

It's the same with farmers protesting any organisation should be open to what there protest is about and what it intends to achieve

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Fuel prices..

Just mentioned earlier about a specific rise in rates in our case, and I know from contacts that this is beginning to manifest elsewhere. Drivers are now very scarce , and mechanics almost impoßible to find. Trucks are parked up, and maybe its just their lack of availability rather than their negotiation prowess has the rates moving upwards.

But I cannot see a protest solving anything. Most of the rise in prices at present is down to increasing oil prices. Yes carbon taxes are a factor but it is rising oil prices that are most at fault.

Parking up trucks I'd the only way for to force logistic companies to increase rates. These then must pass this on to those using logistic companies. Finally it the consumer.must pay.

Slava Ukrainii

Logistic companies are raising their rates.... A LOT

They have to, between the increasing fuel costs and having to pay more for drivers, they'll be bankrupt in a month if they didn't.

I have a relative working in the field and he is now doing 7 days a week with him earning as much on Sat and Sun driving as he does Mon-Fri doing a management role.

We'll have to up the price of food and public goods to be in line with other industries

Your not wrong there food prices will have to take a massive hike in price I see things are slowing Milk wise in the states already as the feed price rises bites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Main concern is the average family weekly shop bill could pass the €200 mark

Who's concern is that it is high time food took its proper place as a large chunk of people's income

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Including our own. Don't forget that. Just because we're producers, doesn't mean we're immune from food price inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Add childcare, mortgage, cost of keeping a car it’s not going to end well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We could be producing a lot more food for ourselves, meat would be less tahn half the price, veggies potatoes , eggs etc

Add in what ever you like. I stand by my view that food needs to be far more expensive than it is at present ......it's not going to end well but like always it's expected that food Will be cheap or cheaper even. God farmers really have been conditioned to be downtrodden. Everyone else is getting a price rise across the country but farmers themselves don't want food to be too expensive 🙄🙄🙄

Ya everyone has the ability to grow their own food and it would probably be far more nutritious than a lot of the mass grown food

It's just not near being justified price wise at the moment apart from the enjoyment people get out of growing their own

We don’t build houses anymore, we build Mansions requiring two incomes to service a mortgage, requiring payment to someone else to rear the kids, requiring a suitably year of registration car to “keep up” with our social peers.

Even a reasonably sized 3 bed house will see you looking at €300k to build now

A friend of mine inherited a place from an aunt some years back complete with a 70’s concrete 3 bedroom prefab bungalow (800 square feet?). She had had new windows and doors fitted and this was the deciding factor in not knocking it and he moved into it, redecorating, knocking a wall between tiny kitchen into living room, fitting a stove, new presses, some insulation overhead, tiling, flooring all well under 20k.

Himself, wife married and moved in, 2 kids close to half reared in the stop gap now. One income (hers) and the farm just tipping along (his) allows him to mind kids. And they have a very nice lifestyle. He will now never build a new one. And 12 15 years time when the kids fly on to wherever he has no empty house to maintain for no particular reason.

Im guilty of the Celtic tiger influenced 2 storey and I think we have lost sense and reason.

• Advertisement

That happens, though in areas like mine it's a little bit live horse and you'll eat. Most houses, even ruins, have been done up for the tourist rental market. I don't disagree with people doing that either tbh. But, the situation as it is leaves a lot of people with only two options, build your own house or move away. There isn't a long term rental market here really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was guilty of the celtic tiger two storey as well. Have it paid for though this 3 years so it's not hurting me financially.

The other side of that is my jeep is 16 and the minister of the interiors car is 14. I work short hours off farm with kids in primary and secondary school. Wife works in the local town so she does the secondary school drop and I do primary drop and collections. Secondary school students do after school study which finishes 15 minutes after the wife's work so collection is sorted there.

We have no mortgage, no childcare and no car loans. I still have no money though 😡😤🙄 however I manage that!!!!! If I could shed the farm debt on land I bought in 2011 and the dairy start up I would be fine.

the minister of the interiors

If I was a braver man I would definitely use that, hilarious stuff 😂😂

Must remember that one

On houses it's was worse over the last few years when building prices were cheap. There has been a bit of a planning application blitz locally over the last 12 months. I saw some of the plans and I think some of the houses will never get build 3k+ sq feet. That with present build regs will put some of them houses toward above 400k in present building costs and that is a builders finish.

Build what was a decent sized house in the early 90. 1800sqft. it cost 48k pounds with everything in it inc fitted kitchen, oil range and stove in the sitting room when most lads were still putting open fires. It was insulated to a very high standard at the time. Insulation standards did not reach what I put in until the end of the noughties

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At the same time 48k was a big ball of money back in the early nineties ,did this include buying site .In today terms it would probably equal to 320k euro going by 48k pounds would have bought 16 ac of good gtound back then which now could make 320k locally

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Affectationly known as the kitchen commander here

I'll have to inject that title at the right moment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

But I'm on a family farm watching the tide get closer and closer, the costal erosion has eaten into the neighbors land quite badly this last few years.

I got the impression your activities were not going to do much to slow it?

One of the things that come to mind is that you will still have your farms, at one time there were farms here without tractors in fact, so at least you will have a nice crop of mangos, bananas or walrus steaks dependent on the gulf stream of course.

A lot of people on the coast will have to watch their land disappear into the sea. Some people on the planet will lose there lives to climate change.

The government here seems very willing to go for a "green" agenda. I can quite easily see problems. Coal is taxed to high heaven and electricity is a ridiculous price. I recently bought a car, not because I wanted to, but because public transport here is far worse than it was fifty years back. So the simple solution of dissuade by taxation is very enthusiastically adopted but if you want to warm the house or travel, it was easier and cheaper half a century back.

I didn't buy an electric car incidentally, the generator has been fired up about fifteen times this year. The ESB used to send postcards for the planned outages, but then there were faults and I guess even the planned outages would cost a wind generators worth of postage in a year :-)

Global warming is a very serious issue, it will take an impressive class of politician to be able to produce a worthwhile effect.

I'm building a raft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

From the Facebook page. If that’s the hard shoulder they are blocking they need to cop on.

Advertisement