Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

World leader? Ireland has 71st highest mortality rates in the world, hardly high. On the other hand Ireland is within the top 40 countries with the greatesst numbers of elderly people so in that regard we've done well considering that disadvantage. Only about 2-3% of Africa's population are over 65 compared with almost 20% of European countries so I don't know why you'd expect deaths there to be anything like Europe considering 90% of deaths are int hat age group, not only that but massively smaller numbers of people in late middle age as well who had reasonably high hospitalisation rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

You said

"Many if not most of the countries with repeated lockdowns and strict mandates had higher caseload and mortality than poor countries which could not afford lockdown and restrictions."

When asked for details, or examples, your response is simply LOL, and you ask me to prove you're not right !!! Surely even you can see that's disingenuous? If that's the standard of discussion you want then anyone can make any statement, however ridiculous, and just challenge others to prove them wrong! If you want to be taken seriously you need to justify statements you make, and so far you don't seem to be able to.

"LOL seriously. Take Ireland, one of the longest lockdowns along with restrictions some of which still apply even after nearly 2 years and among the world leaders in cases and hospitalizations. And since nearly everyone who died is counted as covid death we are amongst leaders even in this field.

Show me where is the falsehood and misinformation. Prove it to me that I am not right. The only gullible people impacted by what I wrote are those who succumbed to covid end of the world propaganda."

When asked for examples you can't give any, and fall back on claiming Ireland is a world leader in cases and hospitalisations. Again, I challenge you to say how you conclude this? Is it just a feeling you have, or have you done any research to find out?

As Ireland is nowhere near the top of the leader board, either in terms of cases, or deaths, or excess deaths, it shows you haven't looked at any of the facts! If you want to educate yourself then Google will give you plenty of information. One such web site is https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-estimates?fsrc=core-app-economist, and from there you will see that Ireland is way down the list, with an official Covid death toll of 110 / 100k population, vs many countries with official Covid deaths above 200/100k (incl USA, UK, and even Peru, with 600/100k). When excess deaths are measured Ireland does even better, with a high estimate of 58/100k, vs UK(200/100k), USA(310/100k), Brazil(340/100k), Mexico(470/100k), Russia(600/100k), Poland(360/100k), Serbia(610/100k), etc.

So it looks like you have been proven to be completely wrong. I can only conclude that you either don't care about the facts, or you've been so indoctrinated by conspiracy sites that you simply believe, like a religion, and don't really understand it yourself! It would be ok to say you don't understand the numbers, what is not ok is making statements that are false, simply because you are repeating falsehoods you read elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Leaving aside that pintofview has demolished the claims in your post, what does it have to do with vaccine safety?

Have you given up your claims that the vaccines that aren't vaccines are more dangerous than other medical measures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Do you deny that we are currently among world leaders with number of cases and hospitalizations? All that despite one of the longest lockdowns, restrictions and curiously also one of the highest vaccination rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No, I did not say "world leader" but I have said "among the" and "one of the".

You can pat yourself on a back about how good we fare, truth is that our "cases" obsession caused misery to untold scores of people who had medical appointments cancelled again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Show your evidence for the argument that Ireland is among world leading countries in terms of the case numbers etc.

You've been shown the numbers for why that isn't the case. Show why you think those numbers are wrong.

Lol so not only are you dodging the points in his post you are again returning to you tactic of denying you said what you said.

In a few posts I'm betting you will be saying that you never said anything about Ireland being a world leader in anything.

And you'll be pretending that pintofview is on ignore too so you can hide from his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Ok, to be fair to you according to the "Our World in Data" site we are near the top as regards cases (for Nov we are 20th in number of cases out of 206 countries tracked). However to put some context on this ...

• So far in Nov we rank 20 out of 206 countries, with approx 8,000 cases / million in prev two weeks (the top 4 countries each had over 17,000 cases / million)
    • In October we ranked 32/206 countries for cases. In Sept we ranked 33/206. In June we were 69/206. So the trend is clear, that our cases are going up. I'm not an expert on this but clearly as we opened up since early summer we can't be surprised that cases have increased. The same pattern is seen in the UK, but neither here, nor in the UK, do we see exponential growth, and it's likely that unvaccinated individuals account for a chunk of the increase that is happening (and likely that the vaccines are preventing the exponential growth that necessitated our previous lockdowns).
    • For the past 6 months we ranked between 22-26 of 139 countries for tests performed per thousand of the population. As we are in the top 18% of countries for testing it's likely we find more cases than countries that test less! So our case ranking above is possibly (much!) better in reality.
    • Out of 33 countries that provided data on hospitalisations/million we were consistently near the bottom with much less people in hospital due to covid that most other countries. Since Aug we've edged up, and in Sept we were 17th highest of 33 countries, with 63/million in hosp, vs UK(113), US(260), France(139), Serbia(531), etc. In Oct we were 15th / 33 with 84 in hosp, vs UK(113), US(160), France(99), Serbia(961). So as regards hospitalisations we're Not 'among world leaders', even if we have moved up as we reopened.
    • One of the most reliable indicators of covid performance, that doesn't depend on deaths 'with covid' vs 'of covid', or on the amount of testing, etc., is excess deaths. In that regard Ireland has performed extremely well. The previous Economist data I linked above showed this, and also the data from Our World in Data (see here) and they both tally with the picture shown by medrxiv last Jan (see here), all of whom show Ireland with comparatively little excess deaths.

Given the above I don't know how you can conclude we've done badly, or that our lockdowns caused us to do worse than countries that didn't lock down! Our lockdown earlier in the pandemic, and the restrictions we all endured, are the most obvious explanation for our minimal excess deaths, and low hospitalisations compared to other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nearly a year since they starting jabbing people. I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now? Whats gone wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ireland was sent the batch with RFID chips so we could carry out secret missions for the US Navy Seals or something like that.

Most of the rest of the world population is dead though and all news articles and pictures you see from other countries are scripted and using actors.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i cant understand if the jabs are designed to make us more more compliant or less, now that mind control rays are a thing....

shure why would they need the jab is they have had the mind control ray since the time of auld abe lincoln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think one injection is fine introducing covid into our bodies, after that the virus is mapped by out immune system so I do not agree with boosters at all especially when they are just the same injection. They think everyone are idiots or they themselves are not critical thinkers.

You think? So you don’t know, or understand vaccines.

So what's the real reason for the second injection and the boosters?

Post edited by King Mob on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Which would suggest that you are not someone who understands how vaccines or the immune system work.

What do you think is the "real" reason for the second and third jabs being given?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So you think everyone should get the flu jab just the once and they will be immune from catching the flu for life?

My post was more about antibodies than getting two injections, the 2nd injection is a failsafe incase the first batch was bad, did not take or not given correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's not a failsafe, it's required to reach a certain level of effectiveness in terms of immunity (in the case of JandJ it was one jab) Likewise, boosters are needed further down the line. For diseases which mutate a lot (e.g. flu), annual boosters are used

Imagine if they told you the truth, the public would lose faith in the vaccine but keep believing what you want, Just make sure any booster shot you get is actually made of the new variant otherwise it is just foolish to take it, common sense but in these days of post science who knows.

This isn't true.

Why do you believe it is?

You're not making a whole bunch of sense and just seem to be spouting nonsense of the top of your head.

• Advertisement

Lol, you are so funny. If you dont want to think critically then that is up to you but even the official line on it says the the first injection gives "very low immunity response" and the 2nd one gives "much better response", it is all BS, you either have a response to covid and make anti bodies or you dont.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lol

Spoken like a true fella who hasn't a clue about how vaccines work

Well done on advertising your ignorance!!

Top marks

Cool.

And on what are you basing the idea that this is BS?

Is your doctorate in immunology or are you a medical doctor?

What's the real reason for the second injection and boosters?

No it isn't.

Where are you getting that first batches are bad from? If its that high chances that first jabs don't work then why are second jabs of exactly the same thing meant to work fine in your version?

Where are you getting you "knowledge" about vaccines from?

Tantrum soon, followed by "you are all sheep/trolls", followed by exit from the thread

"Something something I've said all I wanted to say! Something something, people can do their own research and make up their own mind.

Vague statement about a tangential conspiracy idea.

Good luck/take care/enjoy the vaccine/other sassy sign off."

... Return in a month's time to recycle some other theory from 6 months previously in the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mostly safe which is great.

Sadly not always and people have died.

So of the billions of doses, how many have died compared to deaths from covid? Which is the higher?

• Advertisement

I thought this forum was about 'Covid vaccines safety'?

There's lots of forums to discuss Covid deaths etc.

I asked a Covid vaccine safety question. Are you trying to avoid it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The low number of deaths due to vaccine side effects despite the huge numbers of people vaccinated, compared to the number of deaths from Covid would speak to the safety of the vaccine.

Or is that a little inconvenient for you?

Yes. So how safe is the vaccine compared to catching covid?

You seem to be avoiding the question. Why?

Don't know what you're on about - I said what I think about vaccine in my first post.

Mostly safe which is great. Sadly not always and people have died.

I said what I think about vaccines in my first post, I don't think this tread is about deaths from Covid.

Ok Great then.

You agree that the vaccine is vastly safer than catching covid. This is in line with the evidence.

Cool.

How safe compared to catching Covid? You're asking a different question but anyway I'll reply why not.

Nobody knows how safe compared to catching Covid, it'll take years of studies to work that out won't it.

It's still ongoing, it's like asking what the final score is 15 minutes into a soccer match.

Everyone just has to decide for themselves, there's risks either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I'll take my 'critical thoughts' from those who actually know what they are talking about.

My wife has been working in pharmaceutical science for over two decades and over a decade with vaccines - and what you are saying is total nonsense.

You can choose to believe the self proclaimed experts from whatever echo chamber you are stuck in ... I'll believe the people I trust.

• Advertisement

Deaths from Covid vs Deaths from the vaccine is particularly valid since you are the person who mentioned vaccine deaths first.

It is absolutely fundamental to the definition of safety of the vaccine as to if it is a lower risk than catching covid itself. You cannot answer the question about safety of the vaccine without answering the questions about how dangerous covid is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I am trying to figure a reason why would FDA refuse to release information they used to approve phizer vaccine until 2076?

This is just stocks the fires of anti trust.

This forum is called 'Covid vaccines safety' so that's what I posted about.

Nobody knows if it's lower or higher risk yet.

But my opinion would be -

If you're old/vulnerable it'd be better to take the vaccine.

If you're not old/vulnerable it's a 50/50 call.

I've no problem with anyone taking it.

I've no problem with anyone not taking it.

Ok. You're just straight up lying then. Pretty typical of conspiracy theorists and anti vaxxers.

Taking the vaccine is far far safer than catching covid.

Covid has killed 5.1 million people.

How many has the vaccine killed? (Also, provide a source for this number.)

What risks are you concerned about specifically?

See how you started with this vague insinuation and hoave been dodging questions and avoiding points. You're most likely going to whinge about the questions I asked in my post.

Why are you using these dishonest tactics?

• Advertisement

But doctors and experts disagree with your opinion.

Why should we take your opinion over theirs? Are you a doctor?

No you didn't. You just claimed that nobody knows how many people have died from the vaccine or from Covid. Almost like you've been living in a cave for the last two years if you've missed the daily release of stats from countries around the world giving full breakdowns of exactly how many people have caught covid, have ended up in hospital due to covid, have been put on ventilation from covid, have died from covid, have had 1 2 or 3 vaccinations from covid and a whole heap of other numbers.

What are your numbers for how dangerous the vaccine is, and is that a higher or lower risk than being unvaccinated for covid?

I have zero interest in whether you take my opinion or not.

Relax a bit man, this is just a website where people give opinions.

We absolutely do know the comparative safety between the vaccine and being unvaccinated and catching covid. There is a whole internet full of stats on this which show the number of deaths from covid and studies and trials and real world data showing the risks from the vaccine.

Where are your numbers showing that the vaccine is a bigger risk?

Ok. So we have no reason at all to take your opinion over doctors. Your opinion doesn't seem to be based on anything solid and isn't very valid or reliable.

Cool.

How many has the vaccine killed? (Also, provide a source for this number.)

What risks are you concerned about specifically?

See how you started with this vague insinuation and hoave been dodging questions and avoiding points. You're most likely going to whinge about the questions I asked in my post.

Why are you using these dishonest tactics?

• Advertisement
Advertisement