Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Because they put them on today. 3 flights from DUB-MAN-DUB today.

Today EI-DUZ positioned from DUB-ORY in preparation for the Vueling flights that will begin from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Yeah I did notice that later but I still found Saturday odd as the vast majority of Irish matchgoers (especially the regular ones) are daytrippers and would have been coming back that night. Still though, I'm sure they didn't have 3 flights on yesterday for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EI considering relaunching MIA next summer. Were they do so, that would just leave MSP and BDL as 2019 routes not resumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

MIA would be a welcome return. Its probably one of the most convenient transit stops for Latin America bound traffic too. Hartford always seemed like an unusual route as it really is a second tier provincial city in the US. I think EI should launch a Texan route after MIA. Houston is now the 4th biggest city in the US so possibly there as AA has the DFW route covered. Then again I suppose its where the Irish diaspora are located that drives EI route selection in the States over how populous a city is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I have hope for Hartford, maybe not next year but from 2023 onwards it should be on the cards again. One of the selling points of the A321LR was the ability to make thinner routes viable and enter unserved markets that the larger, less flexible transatlantic carriers couldn’t do as easily.

This also makes Aer Lingus attractive to smaller airports who are often eager to offer incentives for their business, like Hartford did. That’s not to say the routes only work with incentives, Hartford was beginning to prove itself with a gradual reduction in agreed support.

The route was on a comfortable upward trajectory before the pandemic and if they can return, it would be a strong signal to other east coast airports that the airline is ready for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You are assuming BDL still has the cash to pay EI to fly.

MIA is tied to cruise business but as EI is now offering AA flights as connections it might open MIA up to more transfer traffic, the pre clearance makes it possible as the US doesn't permit international transfers without landing you first which is a pain, so this works for EI from Dublin but not others.

EI is down on aircraft as it has scrapped one A330-200, and two aircraft have gone to MAN. The XLR order won't be here until late 2023 at best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah I’m very glad to see some ambition from them! Now we wait to see if they’ll manage to have the aircraft in hand and pilots too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Phen2206

If you include EI-EWR which was sent for scrapping just as the pandemic was beginning (suggesting that this would have been planned before the pandemic anyway) they're down 2 A330-200s but even if MIA does come back for summer 2022 there should be enough slack in the -300 fleet to cover it.

• Advertisement

EWR was swapped for EIK which arrived in March 2020

LAX is being taken apart currently and there are questions about another -200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI-EIK and EI-EIL are both parked and have not been put into service as yet. I thought the original plan was to use these to standardise on A333 equipment.

In fairness pre covid there was the option of a large number of mid life A330s being sold by QR as A350s arrived to follow GEY, EIK and EIL. QR recently pulled 13 of these A330s from storage and pushed them back in to service so might no longer be an option. Traffic growth going forward looks strong, recovery so far is ahead of Eurocontrol’s most optimistic predictions, they now say we’ll be back to 2019 traffic levels by summer 2023 at the latest.

Qatar has an "issue" with A350's currently, 16 are grounded, once Airbus sort this the A330 will be likely be stored again and Al Baker will be happy to do a deal...

Post edited by goingnowhere on

No sign of the dispute being resolved anytime soon, Airbus and EASA are both saying it is not a safety issue and as QR are the only airline affected, its their issue to fix.AAB saying Airbus need to resolve the issue and he won't accept any more deliveries til they do. Whenever I've spoken to Airbus or Boeing employees it sounds like they'd secretly be delighted for him to stop doing business with them.

Then of course there's other stories about him but that's another matter....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

FR recently got a very good deal on charges with ALC airport. Other airlines arent happy and want a similar deal.

The lack of operation may be related to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Any updates on the catering issues due to fly next month to ACE ?

Sweet treats, small snacks and drinks. Not much else. It’s less a catering issue and more of a purposely reduced menu now.

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/bia.pdf

In the link you provided it literally says

“ We plan to reintroduce fresh and hot food options to our menu soon.”

They have reinstated everything except the sandwiches so maybe bring one from boots or elsewhere, snacks and beverages are back in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I dunno, I feel that they won't have reinstated everything until they restore Barry's Tea – that Lyons stuff just isn't the same :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You for real? If someone walked into my house with a box of Barry’s they’d be banished to one of those uninhabited islands off the west coast never to be seen again! Lyon’s Gold Blend all the way! Have a cup in front of me right here haha

This is why Aer Lingus used to actually have both and youd be offered the choice… a contentious issue indeed. Whoever was at the helm of inflight retail back then.. bring them back I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Aer lingus said they hope to go from 3 to 6 percent of transatlantic market share... texas would likely get good traffic... anywhere else?

I think they were on to something with BDL, honestly.

There are quite a few decent-sized US cities with little to no transatlantic service.

There are few things worse than standing in line for two hours after landing somewhere like JFK/EWR/ORD. If you're an American returning home pre-clearance in DUB and landing at your local airport is a compelling proposition.

True but the last menu update back in July had the same note.

The addition of the XLR from late next year (if all goes to plan) should open up some new markets and help them return to some old ones like Minneapolis and Hartford or intended routes like Montreal.

A fleet of 14 narrowbody aircraft across the Atlantic is a good position to be in and additional A330s should also become available again in the next couple of years. Current narrowbody routes (EWR, YYZ) could return to A330 which also free up aircraft for new routes or additional frequency.

With the ‘DUBHUB’ hopefully back in full swing we should see a return to routes that may not necessarily make sense from an Irish perspective alone but work thanks to strong European connections. Pittsburg, Houston, Nashville, Detroit are potential US cities I can see being on the table while the Caribbean can’t be ruled out as winter seasonal depending on the performance of BGI from Manchester. Canada will be harder to break into now I think, it’s traditionally low yielding and Air Canada and WestJet have bulked up ops in recent times so outside of eventually starting Montréal unless they’re brave and take on Vancouver.

Columbus is another one underserved – there are no transatlantic services out of there at the moment.

It has three times the population of Pittsburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭x567

Same with Cleveland. Smaller city population but similar metro area population to Columbus (c.1.75m) and no transatlantics.

The opening of the new runway will help as well with payload off Dublin which can be a bit tricky depending on the weather

• Advertisement

Advertisement