Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

I had a package arrive today from the UK, a week after I paid the customs charge. What's weird is that An Post's description is completely weird. I looked up the TARIC code given by the seller on the EU website, and it lists it as "clock or watch parts", which is right. An Post's customs payment form listed it as "toy train accessory". A member of my family recently had a package also described by An Post in a way that bears no relation at all to the TARIC codes. Presumably, the description given by An Post is what is declared to Revenue?

Has anyone else experienced that? What's the point in insisting on TARIC codes if they're going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭deezell

The point it appears is to cause lots of grief for individuals importing goods from non EU countries, by having all sorts of reasons to reject, delay or return your goods, so that you will seek to buy your watch parts from AnPost approved suppliers, e.g. River Island or Boots, which is half the list of four they published. It's so bizarre you have to think it's a joke, but they're not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

The HS code for the items I got is 9114900090, and toy train parts would be 95030030(00). I just noticed that the second item, which has the same TARIC code listed, is listed by An Post as a children's book, which I think is 4903000000? Does this mean they're just picking codes at random?

What's that saying used when explaining unsubstantiated information? Oh yeah, "I plucked it out of my arse". They (or their scanner) rejected thousands of packets with valid, decades old tried and tested 6 digit codes, in favour of this lotto system, which they've hidden behind and defended since July, and are now obviously trying to work around in some haphazard fashion so that Xmas doesn't implode altogether. Wait till Boris fires Article 16 .....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,317 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone could pluck a number out of their arse and say "thousands".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My friend got a dress described as 12 and another had electricals described as nail polish

Advicate told me to wait on a letter, only got 1 regarding my item and nothing on my complaint, asked if this was the letter they meant last week, still no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭limktime

It's years since I used BT1 1AA to order something from the UK that doesn't deliver to Ireland but chanced it last weekend and it arrived today with BT1 1AA scribbled out and EIRE written on it.

Funny how that got through without mention of VAT, Taric codes or being returned, with all this nonsense going on. I'm sure it's not reliable but years ago anything that I ordered with it always arrived so I was curious to see what would happen.

Was the address prior to the postcode a full Irish address?

And would that mean your post would just be redirected South, but now arriving in from NI so ignored by AnPost re customs, Vat etc? Sounds risky but tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD - A good time to remind yourselves of the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Getting quieter around here.

Are some people's issues being ironed out or what.

My monthly parcels that stopped arriving in June still haven't turned up but merchant has told me they will all be resent on 29/11 and there will be no issues with customs.

Time will tell I suppose.

Hopefully they know now what to do as they are taking money out of my bank account every month.

Hoping this comes through without charges. Its a warranty spare part from Argos, sent DPD by their spares agents, Click-Spares. It was ordered July 2020, 16 months to get it in stock.

• Parcel data received from sender
    • Head Office
    • 10/11/2021 at 16:00
    • Parcel going through Customs process
    • Head Office
    • 11/11/2021 at 10:41

Yes, it was. Full address, though it had to have UK as the country.

That seems to be what happened. Tracked until NI mail centre, then to Belfast sorting, then back to NI mail centre on Monday and no more updates since but arrived today.

I only used it with things that were free or very cheap years ago. I was just curious this time to see what would happen.

I mentioned already I'm still waiting, the advocate replied "we'll get back to you in 30 days"

I made my complaint in September, Comreg want me to exhaust the advocate before going to them, so I'm going in the 2nd month of back and forth, I'm in it too long to back away

I haven't ordered much outside of Ireland and if I do it's Fed Ex or DPD, I can't be doing this shite again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I used the code last week on a free postage item from the UK, just waiting now to see if it will be delivered. I wouldn't chance it on a paid product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Free item, with free postage, it was only a free sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Escapees

Have been keeping an eye on this thread in the background, hoping for things to resolve themselves before ordering some stuff from the UK... While the supplier had previously said there were no issues with delivering to Ireland, they now have a note on the site saying that customs charges may apply on my side. They only deliver via Royal Mail and the products are not available in Ireland.

So, just to be clear, if I order from this UK company, I should 1) get the supplier to put the correct TARIC code on the package, and 2) accept that there's a good chance I will have to pay a customs charge and admin charge. The products are going to be only €50 worth, so the customs bill from An Post will be 23% VAT plus €3.50 admin. That's ok so long as they don't return the package back to the sender after I pay up, which I presume won't happen if the TARIC code is correct.

Am I correct in my understanding of things here??

No dear or hello just "thank you for your escalated complaint >name<

• Advertisement

There i a huge reluctance within the media to touch this story for some reason, yet they keep on releasing storys about "Prepare for Customs Charges". politicians i have reached out to have all spoken around the issue and know nothing about this.

My DPD package with a replacement part for an Argos purchase arrived, the label bore little resemblance to a CN22, and though the tracking data refers to customs, the packet seems to be still in the UK at this point, as it only enters IRL on the 13th. Who gives a sht, I got it complimentary, and it was delivered within days from the UK, no customs crap. Result.

• Parcel data received from sender
    • Head Office
    • 10/11/2021 at 16:00
    • Parcel going through Customs process
    • Head Office
    • 11/11/2021 at 10:41
    • Your parcel is travelling through the DPD network
    • Head Office
    • 12/11/2021 at 19:53
    • DPD IE UK Inbound
    • Dpd Kildare
    • 13/11/2021 at 8:14
    • Your parcel is on a van and due for delivery, between 09:28 - 10
    • Dpd Kildare
    • 13/11/2021 at 8:25
    • Delivered Consignee
    • Dpd Kildare
    • 13/11/2021 at 10:07

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Whatever about things being sent back, I don't understand how they've tracking issues going along with it too, as their tracking makes little sense these days:

• 12 Nov, 2021 01:38  Your delivery has been sorted
    • 12 Nov, 2021 01:38  We have your delivery
    • 05 Nov, 2021 16:35  We have your delivery
    • 05 Nov, 2021 16:35  Your delivery has been sorted
    • 04 Nov, 2021 14:30 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, Ireland Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    • 04 Nov, 2021 10:30 Ireland Handed over for delivery within Ireland
    • 04 Nov, 2021 14:07 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, Ireland We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    • 04 Nov, 2021 14:06 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, Ireland Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    • 04 Nov, 2021 10:06 Ireland Passed registration in Ireland
    • 02 Nov, 2021 18:18  Customs clearance have identified a problem with the customs declaration accompanying your item. As such, the item must be returned to the sender.

This package will likely end up going back too which makes it even more frustrating.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

My experience with AnPost tracking was that when they repeatedly referred to having and sorting my delivery weeks after the initial entry, they were referring to my packet's journey back out of Ireland. My final entry was 'Your packet has been Delivered', and I was puzzled by my empty postbox, until I discovered they meant delivered back to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Yesterday I received a package from UK 4 weeks after the shipping date on the package. Total cost p&p included €16.50.

Today I received a customs charge from on post for a customs value of €22.84

Import Duty €0

Excise Duty €0

VAT€5.25

An Post Fee €3. 50

Total €8.74

If I do not pay the above charge my item will be returned to the sender

The item in question is the one I received in the post yesterday.

Checked the Reference and Tracking number to make sure as I've no other parcels/packages to arrive from anywhere.

The parcel yesterday has everything filled out and cleared by customs on it.

What sort of a joke is that?

An An Post fee for what? I've already paid that to the sender.

I've already got the parcel that's going to be sent back if I don't pay this?

What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the An Post covers the customs clearance. The sender didn't pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Strange that the parcel was still sent on?

Would have got stuff from UK the last few weeks and apart from a delay. It arrived. Random.

If you really want to pay it, at least only pay 23% VAT on €16.50, not on €22.84. If you bought online from a business, you should have an invoice with P&P included. I assume is wasn't £16.50, sterling?.

With undervalued stuff they are entitled to charge Vat at estimated retail price, not what you paid, but under the old system pre July they always accepted a screen grab of a purchase invoice. I would always pay supplier in Euros for non EU stuff, so there would be no argument about the exchange rate, but the €3.50 fee is a lot less than the €10 they used to charge, albeit your goods would have been under the old limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

somebody made a mistake and released a parcel when they shouldn't have. the same thing happened to me. I didn't pay the customs charge.

• Advertisement

Will they do a Ryanair on you next time you have a delivery, even an EU or Amazon prepaid one, and hold it up till you pay, plus penalties? I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Advertisement