Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women DeeJay's doing damage on the international scene

Options
  • 18-10-2021 4:37am

I'm not the least bit nationalist, but it's encouraging to see homegrown talent none the less.

Kind of reminds us that local opportunity is present for the rest of us, and we're not relegated/condemned to sit the back of an "Irish pub" sipping Guinness until our hair turns grey and our sex drive goes out the window completely.

I think that point of view was imprinted on my brain since birth, having grown up in an Irish bog hole.

But no!

Wait.

There's this Dublin lass giving-it-large at international festivals like Luminosity, Creamfields and Dreamstate.

Right out of Dublin.

You-go-girl!!

I wouldn't have noticed she was Irish if she used a stage name, but this ethereal vocal sample hit me square between the eyes whilst I was rep'ing out some sumo-deadlifts a couple days ago.

Checked the artist name and BOOM - homegrown.

The track itself is even named after possibly my favorite red-line Luas stop.

Now maybe there's some (most) among us for whom this style is not (i.e. this style is not for them), thus not acquainted with the particulars of Trance production.

But this is some high level shit.

Drops on point, melody flows to perfection, and that vocal sample.... other worldly.

Between the likes of this and Catherine Martin's (Minister for Culture) initiative to overhaul night life culture, is Ireland truly relegating that historical oppressive (miserable) Catholic ethos to the history books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Finish the bag and try to get some kip. You'll feel better on Wednesday.

Something a bit tragic about being off your tits on a Sunday night and spending it starting nonsense threads on a struggling message board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took me a bt to realise the thread title was being complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hi, yer wans manager/other half/Dad/mam whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh, doing damage is a good thing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's like 'sick' means 'very good' now.

How do you figure this message boards is "struggling"?

It's traffic #'s blow every other Irish message board into low-earth orbit (though Vs r/ireland I don't know, traffic stats couldn't isolate that subreddit from the main site).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This is the biggest message board in Ireland , is doing damage gen z slang for being successful

• Advertisement

Also, technically I'm not sure if Ashley Smith qualifies as Irish, but she does back-to-back sets with Maria Healy all the time so, I guess there's an argument to be made she's naturalized somewhat?

Just saying though, it's nice to have a cutie that can get invested into electronic production cause let me tell you, that shit is, how you say?

Psychologically draining.

I mean let's face it, most chicks either find a man to latch onto, have a bunch of kids and spend the rest of their lives cashing child support cheques, or become sex workers (not that I condemn any of those choices).

From my POV it's just nice to see a gal not only invest in, but become competent in an area that takes serious dedication, talent - and become successful at it.

Girl power!!

Not to mention I'm LOVING their sound.

Tech/uplifting, explosive drops with haunting vocal samples;

Large.

'Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All trance sounds the same

Is OP the same person who started a thread about a junkie and his "gal" looking at him on the Luas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It does and it doesn't Ub, it depends on your ear as it were. It is pretty samey, but then you could say the same thing of Irish trad, heavy metal, modern R&B, jazz, but those into those genres would be quick to call you on that. They can hear the subtleties and they're often not that subtle. I've heard people say the Rolling Stones stuff sounds the same, U2 as well. For feck's sake I've heard people say The Beatles' output all sounds the same to them and there are vanishingly few musical artists who had such a wide range of sounds and songs even genres.

Now dance music in many ways have to keep to certain parameters or you'll have dancers dislocating their hips, or worse walking away, so the backbeat tends to not stray from its course, but then you have tensions building and releasing throughout with percussion and background fades with the listener being dragged along for the visceral ride of rises and drops. Someone like Beethhoven likely wouldn't like it at first listen, but he'd understand what they were doing(he did the buildup and release stuff like a boss. At one point he had cannons as percussion instruments. Cannons for feck's sake 😁). It would be much easier to argue that trance has more in common with a some classical music trends and "tricks" than most other popular music.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

bad means good, sick means cool, dj is short for disc jockey, theres no such word as deejay ,is there still people making trance music in 2021.like tv is short for television ,its not spelled teevee

The first minute of most tracks sounds the same.

That's because trance is typically produced and edited for live club or "raves" etc., not for radio play, and the first minute of each track is intended to establish the tempo with minimal melody to facilitate syncing and mixing into the preceding track.

i.e. it rarely/ever gets radio play so it's designed primarily with mixing in mind.

I can see where confusion arises, but no.

You're confusing Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. Tchaikovsky had the cannons during the 1812 Overture.

Perhaps they do sound the same to you after all 😉

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tchaikovsky did indeed use cannon, but so did oul Ludwig in his Battle Symphony. In fairness cannons do sound the same to me. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Trance still going? 50 year olds is it.

• Advertisement

Not a woman dee-jay but....

Dublin man Paul Denton wrecking shop on Armin Van Buurens radio show as guestmixer, live now!!

They weren't "looking".

There were what is known as, "mad dogging" me.

Isn’t trance the sort of music gyms play during spinning classes to get auld ones motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I think that was called "Wellington's Victory" if memory serves me right. I'm sure I had it on vinyl back in the days of - vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Mugged?

lol

Who the hell is going to mug me?

I said I was being "mugged off",

aka they were making an attempt at "disrespect", in this instance by way of "mad dogging";

(technically British hip-hop slang meets US euphemisms).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hold it down, boy, your head's gettin' blurred.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

lol kid, there's rarely a day goes by I don't get eye balled by some wanna-be tough guy, roided up juice heads with more deluded confidence than common sense etc. you name it. I think my personality just naturally attracts it.

Just typically they're not with ridiculously hot girls (thus why I made that other thread).

But when it comes time for the bad-violence they reliably just pull something bitchy, mince off and go find a safe space to cry about it (like the nancy boys they are).

No one wants to get in a brawl they don't think they can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Gotta love women DJ's. All that bouncing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

None of these women djs will contribute anything new to edm.

Advertisement