Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women DeeJay's doing damage on the international scene

Options
2»

Comments

I can tell you're a glass-half-full type of individual.

Not to mention being plain incorrect here. I absolutely love that opening track, as it seems to take many of the most cutting edge elements of trance from the last 20 years, ethereal vocals, early 90's style uplifting chord progressions, modern tech drops and I love those James Dymond'esque breaks (who's probably the best remixer in trance currently);

Probably not co-incidence, as they're signed to the same booking agency (again, some Irish dude).

And the fact that they're doing all this, whilst being women!

Girl power!!

How many half decent women producers are in EDM anyways, let alone a genre as technical and challenging as trance?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Name an edm genre invented by a woman dj, go on.

lolwut?

New genre's don't just get invented out of thin air.

It's a process of evolution.

And IMO that track in the OP IS in many respects cutting edge EDM, because it combines elements of historical trance genres into one.

I heard James Dymond use the term "tech-lifting", i.e. tech combined with uplifting trance, and that style of tech/psy/acid mixed with some vocal/uplifting is essentially becoming a new genre in and of itself.

What was yesterdays "progressive" trance is today's "uplifting" etc. Alls I know is I'm loving the sound of Maria Healy and Ashley Smith and it's a breath of fresh to have some legitimately talented women making an impression on a peripheral and largely underappreciated genre.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I don't see or hear gender when it comes to music, I only hear good music or bad music.

Fair point.

However one of the reasons this style of production has stand out appeal to me is because of any musical type, it seems to most accurately reflect the "pulsing" or electrical fire power of the nervous system.

By that rationale, it's almost like an extension of the individual responsible for producing it.

i.e. production = a combination of software talent (musical training and ability with DAW's), and the character of the individual creating the production.

Men and women have biologically varied predispositions.

Therefore it's super interesting for me at least to see what women can do in this realm.

Historically let's face it, not so much.

Most women involved in EDM have mostly been from a vocal recording approach or vocalists that DeeJay on the side (Jennifer Rene, Christina Novelli etc)

The actual task of production itself, like I said, in such a technically challenging genre like trance? (not "Some Blonde" bounce house shit)

Which is in part why I'm blown away by this latest production.

Precision, creativity etc., easily rivals many of the long established top male talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They do actually. Might take a few years to catch on. All invested by men for some reason. Evolution isn't a gradual process anyway, happens suddenly.

Advertisement