Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are some of your unpopular fitness related opinions?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oh I agree that everyone has there own personal story and at least they are out there doing it but I think it's the more banging on about it. Go do it fine in 3 hours or 7 hours but banging on about it like you have achieved some historic milestone for mankind is a bit much. As I said the first time a complete free pass to be as much of a nausbag as you want but 2,3, or 4th time- Jesus enough already- it reeks of pure attention seeking. They are not even doing it for themselves at that stage but just pure attention seeking.

"Oh I am overweight because I gave birth recently" with the definition of "recent" ranging up to 10 years

No, you are overweight because you consumed more calories than your body required and still doing so or at least maintaining. Put simply, you eat too much.

I would say strength training (lifting) is essential for every sport. In fact everyone should do it to some extent. 100% guilty here of not doing enough cough none cough.

Same as the weight loss industry. It's all about calorie deficit but you gotta attach some bells and whistles to get away with the latest weight loss fad.

Option 1- maintain a slight calorie deficit and loss weight gradually over time

Option 2 - maintain a significant calorie deficit and lose weight very quickly while taking some snake oil, and pay €100 per month

Option 2 is very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The reason Weightwatchers / Slimming world are so popular, and to be fair - yield results for folk, is they dumb down the whole calorie thing into a simple format.

mars bar - 150 calories or 3 points. you only get 15 points a day, so choose wisely.

the whole reason they work is because of calorie intake management. Which brings me to the upshot, is that there badly needs to be a standardised way of indicating calories. My own personal gripe is with the likes of Muller yogurt - only 90 calories, and then you squint and see that its per 100g, but the yogurt is measured in millilitres. and the pack is 140ml, so out with the calculator / conversion tables. And dont get me started on tsp / tblsp - is the spoon heaped / flat - there is no spoon?

Or f@cking frozen food - calories per 100g (cooked). great, now I've to guess what a frozen thing will weigh after cooking and will either end up eating less than I could have, or potentially wasting cooked food if I'm being very strict with my cals.

• Advertisement

You shouldnt be eating that rubbish anyway..😉

It's like the trick supermarkets play. For example say, pack of 10 oranges €3.00 and it says "per pack" in small writing but loose oranges are €1.00 per kilo so it become pretty much impossible to work out which is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Calorie labeling on food packaging needs lots of work. The portion sizes shown are also very misleading. Bought a fairly normal sized bag of Propercorn recently and it had "90 calories" flashed across the front of it, only realized afterwards that it was referring to one-third of the bag. Breakfast cereal portion sizes are also comical - 15 servings in a small box?! Appreciate that I should have been paying more attention but it feels sneaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I get your point, but it's all relative really. Walking a marathon is probably 7+ hours. If we say the 5-6ers are not running they are jogging, then we should probably apply that to 4hrs group too. I bet there would be quite a few pissed off on the ART forum is they were told their times weren't good enough for running.

5-6 hours might sound pathetic to you, but I your times sound pathetic to a international cailibre runner. And so on. If you take anything to a high level, and keep going, age will eventually catch up on you. Sometimes getting better is no longer an option, but people still enjoy it. If somebody is able to set PBs at 50, it's probably because they had no performance at 30

It's a weird one. But I'd assume it means more professional branding and colour scheme rather than the garish colour of the main globogym brands

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I admire anyone who does a marathon, be it 3 hours or 6. It takes commitment and training.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Running a Marathon is an achievement, but so is running a 10K, my question is for large numbers of marathon hobbyists, is it worth it ? I get the idea that the bigger the challenge the bigger the motivation but thats basically down to telling yourself a story to get something done, there appear to be a lot of downsides to marathon running

ripped off the net with no consideration to its truthiness

• Debilitating osteoarthritis . . . at a young age
    • Permanent scarring of the heart muscle
    • A weakening of the thyroid and adrenal glands
    • Tendonitis and other repetitive strain injuries
    • Recurrent upper respiratory infections
    • Permanently damaged feet (my chiropractor says long-distance runners have some of the worst feet he’s ever seen)
    • Increased oxidative damage (free radical production)
    • Decreased fat metabolism
    • Susceptibility to injury
    • Loss of bone density
    • Depletion of lean muscle tissue
    • Hormone imbalances that are difficult to rectify (women)
    • High refined carbohydrate intake promotes a dangerous level of continuous systemic inflammation.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd take that list with a pinch of salt tbh. Running isn't inherently bad, but running a marathon is taking it to the extreme. Take any physical pursuit to the extreme and it will eventually take its toll on the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Eat proportionately more carbs than calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sensing a trend here, this is not dissimilar to the argument that you advanced lately about lifting for strength goals past novice, or indeed the thing about sub 10% bodyfat levels.

There's hard work and an element of (manageable) risk in any activity beyond the beginner stage. Can't imagine there is much sense of achievement in jumping from one program or sport to another whenever it becomes genuinely challenging - may explain why people are prepared to shed a bit of blood, sweat and tears in their training sometimes.

Also, sorry, pet hate here, but why throw up some stuff from the internet if you have no understanding of whether it might be valid or not?

Advertisement