Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭I told ya

The day the Brexiters stop beating the drum is the day the house of cards fall. They have to keep claiming that it's all the EU's fault and never admit that maybe it was a bad idea. They never had any strategy. In my view I think Johnson and Gove never thought leave would win. IIRC, they went missing just after the result was announced and when they did appear they looked shell shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It always Gawls me he is continually misrepresentating himself on his Twitter handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

You really have to stop propagating falsehoods. U von der Leyen didn't try to invoke A16.

The option of invoking A16 to protect leakage of much needed vaccines out of the EU into the UK at the absolute height of a pandemic was included in a draft document for consideration by the commission. It was removed before it made it to the decision table.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To be pedantic, if she put it in a draft proposal, she did try to invoke it. Also, the scream from Dublin was heard in Brussels before they lifted he phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Brexiteers are absolutely convinced that the UK is the EU's biggest trading partner and also that it is the biggest trading partner of Germany and France. I don't know where they're getting these ideas from......some garbled nonsense they've read in the Brexit press and they take it as gospel.

• Advertisement

She didn't put it in a proposal, it was put into a proposal to be presented to her for a decision to be made but it didn't get that far, it was removed within 3 hours.

Sticking to the truth is not pedantic, it may be inconvenient when you're pushing a false narrative but if untruths aren't called out and challenged we'll end up in a basket case situation like, oh I don't know, brexit itself?

I've seen this constant claim from Brexiteers that Ursula triggered A16, but if I remember correctly from Tony Connelly and others, she knew nothing about it and other functionaries within the Commission were responsible.

Correct but since when did the truth ever prevent those infected with the cult of Brexit from perversely reimagining what they wished had actually happened and then presenting it as the historical truth?

The Brexit chickens are coming home to roost, it won't be too long until the people who were completely hoodwinked into voting for Brexit turn on the snake oil salesmen (and women) who sold them the empty dream of sunny Brexit uplands but by then the damage will be done and a whole generation (at least) and several industries will be lost before the worst effects of Brexit can be reversed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Ok, let's move away from who did or did not trigger Article 16 please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Former AUS PM Keating very critical of AUKUS deal and says Britain “is like an old theme park sliding into the Atlantic compared to modern China”.

Says Australia has lost its way in foreign policy and should not be throwing in with UK and US against China.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please don't just paste links here. Posts removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Brexit: Article 16 'only option' if NI Protocol talks fail says Lord Frost - BBC News

Triggering Article 16 will be the "only option" if talks between the UK and EU fail to resolve Northern Ireland Protocol problems, Lord Frost has said.

He said the EU was threatening "massive and disproportionate retaliation" if the UK triggers Article 16.

"My Lords, I gently suggest that our European friends should stay calm and keep things in proportion," he told the House of Lords.

Read: "when everything goes tits up, please remember that we had no other option but to trigger A16."

At least he is now acknowledging that the UK are in for a paddling when they trigger it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just trying to pin all the blame on the EU as usual.

This comment has to be the cheekiest:

“They might remind themselves that no government and no country has a greater ability in stability and security in Northern Ireland and the Belfast Good Friday agreement than this government.”

I mean really. Sounds like some sort of veiled threat. If ever there was an indication that the UK is using NI as a pawn, that must surely be it.

Also, Leo comments:

Speaking earlier on Wednesday, the Irish deputy prime minister, Leo Varadkar, stressed that retaliatory action from the EU would be expected if the UK activated article 16, thus suspending checks on goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Varadkar said: “I think that would be a big mistake. The uncertainty that was created by Brexit went on for years. I’d hate us to be talking again about a no-deal Brexit or a cliff edge, or any of those terms that we’d forgotten and almost stopped using.”

The Tory governments of the 21st century couldn't find Northern Ireland on a map until it was suddenly needed to prop up a "strong and stable" government

I think that the central problem of this specific, English nationalist Tory government is that, since they've lost their ability to use Brexit as an excuse to commit all sorts of undemocratic abuses and engage in any manner of corrupt practices, they've lost their ability to conceal the fact that they have no ideas on how to govern this country or any sort of long term plan. Hence, this desperate attempt to make Brexit relevant again despite the fact that the UK left the club and the Remain camp has scattered into the winds.

What's left is the core of Toryism on full display, ie corruption, sleaze and a complete absence of anything resembling intellectual thought. There is no vision of the UK beyond Brexit. There is no plan for how to manage things like climate change, an ageing populace or balance inequity here (assuming there's even a will on that front).

Brexit enabled them to dismiss opponents as remainers who were incapable of accepting democracy. As such, they pulled anything and everything from demonising the judiciary and proroguing Parliament when it didn't suit them for Parliament to sit. Now, that isn't an option and they have nothing else so we're going to be hearing about article 16 until they can find some other variant of the post-referendum era to haul out.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

They've literally nothing left: fish & the NIP were the only 2 things they offered the EU.

They've nothing else left to threaten.

They'll posture and threaten until they're removed from power. They'll find something else but, as you say, they've nothing to threaten an entity the size of the EU with. Any time they've been stood up to, they've fallen in line sharpish.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, they have tried to renege on both fish and NIP.

The French told them where to go, and they went. It is time for the EU to tell them where to go, and make sure they go there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Following on from previous discussions about M&S, I note a headline in the Irish Times that they are now looking at restructuring their supply chains for their Irish business. Better late than never I guess but they really are late to the party.

Retailer Marks & Spencer (M&S) plans to step up local food sourcing as it seeks to deal with the “substantial headwinds” facing its Irish food business, it said on Wednesday. The group said ongoing EU border issues caused by Brexit had cost it £13 million (€15.2 million) in the first half of the year, largely related to its business in the Republic. Despite this, the Irish business helped to drive growth in the first half.

The company said it was taking steps to mitigate “substantial headwinds” facing the Irish food business, including restructuring its cost base and stepping up local sourcing. The retailer is also opening new hubs to bypass the UK network, with a hub planned for Croatia in 2022.

Surely their shareholders should be asking why these plans weren't put in place a number of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

It does seem that the Tories are so busy filling their pockets, and filling their donors pockets, and desperately trying to avoid any accountability, that there is very little time and energy left for actually running the country. Why bother wasting time on actual matters of state when there are literally billions of pounds waiting to be siphoned off?

Interesting to hear from Tony Connelly that France and Germany are the two states who most favour strong retaliation against the Brexit Govt if they trigger A16.

The fact that people in these regions thought EU membership was somehow dragging them down is mind boggling.

Cornwall have been getting shafted for years but thanks to all the old people and the brain drain it is a solid blue county. Devon is the same and I've never seen as many Conservative clubs per head of population as I did around Tor Bay.

Tories don't have to spend a penny on the place and will still win it hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Chess? Strategy?

The current UK regime (I won't call it HMG, because I think His Majesty is embarrassed) have no strategy. They're nutters, xenophobes, chauvinists, chancers, charlatans and EU haters (read "regulatory framework haters") supported by oligarchs, Kremlin and now Polish regime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Full marks to Tony Connolly. He keeps us well informed.

I think this is possibly the most astounding video I have see in years. I had to watch it two or three times before I was sure I was really seeing and hearing what I thought I was seeing and hearing.

Here is Johnson explaining that Britain is 'not corrupt'. Yes, Johnson.

Sure, there may be some context to this, but Boris Johnson and this Tory government have really brought the UK low.

Found this interesting also... The Daily Mail seem to have taken a turn and have begin criticising the government lately - new editor I understand?

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1458567640700661763?s=20

The Tories are running out of allies at a rapid rate at this point.

I mean, they effectively rallied the country against the EU as holding the UK back, but then quite obviously failed in delivering a 'successful Brexit' (oxymoron), and now have almost no one to blame as the corruption, sleaze, and incompetence is laid bare.

I mean, even holding a climate conference in your 'country' as you literally pump shıt into your rivers and seas. It's all just a bit mad, and people are getting fed up. And once the tabloids turn on you...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not only will they win hands down they'll even return a few more blue MP's in safe seats. To balance the numbers Wales looses 8 MP's, Scotland looses 2 and the red wall up north will be somewhat diluted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

I put this in the irish protocol thread but I also think it’s very Brexit related, how I think they can’t possibly invoke article 16 now.

“Today on the 11th Nov 21, Taking a lot of opinions ,both journalistic and political into account, I now think Frosty and Johnson (to use a colloquial term )have shot their load , and completely misjudged the mood .

The disastrous and quantifiable consequences of Invoking article 16 now , would not only be totally stupid , but totally predictably stupid , which would be therefore unforgivable by the UK public, following the considered consequences which the EU have been patiently preparing for.

The Uk must be the worst negotiators in the the world, as regards subtlety.

Now, the protocol appears to be gaining exponential positive support on the ground in NI daily. (Šefčovič took the time to find out the mood in NI on the ground unlike Frosty)

So, every week that goes by , makes binning the successful Protocol less achievable , and at this stage unrealistic , showing up the UK negotiators as the bullshitters that they are . Either that or totally stupid , which is not an outside possibility.

Many, many years ago I was told first hand by a theology professor, that in negotiation, “there’s nothing more dangerous than a Stupid man “ I’ve lived by this advice successfully and found it most helpful, However I would now add that something more dangerous could be many stupid-er men .”

Advertisement