Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got offered 6 months half price, had the 9 months half price last year so not hugely surprised they are resisting my efforts for another 9 months half price. I'm on a legacy package and they are proposing to keep me on it while also throwing on the €4 price increase. They still haven't given me the new TV box either, although they said they'd throw that in this time around.

Anyway I've cancelled, going to get my partner to sign up as a new customer with all the bells and whistles. It'll work out cheaper and I'll be getting double the broadband speed with the new TV box. While I'm at it I might cancel my mobile account too and just put that in the partners name for the €5 a month offer.

Post edited by Sierra Oscar on

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

You can get the 5e/month virgin media mobile offer even if you are an existing customer. I just bought a second sim for 5/month for 6 months. I just give 30 days notice when I get to 5 months. Great price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I hadn't even thought of that. Must do it myself. You can't beat a fiver a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Romero

Are these boys still playing hardball? Anyone getting any decent deals? I think I'm going to cancel next month as paying 74 euros per month for broadband, as my address says I can get FTTH from Eir or Vodafone and 1GB speeds for 49 Euros or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

I,m on the 5€ month,30 day contract with VM,. I'M also a B/B customer, Because I'm just out of contract on my B//B I'm trying to get a better B/B deal, I can only get a good deal as a new customer it seems. Could I get my partner to get the deal as a new customer, probably , but how can I ensure I don't lose service, also how would that affect my mobile service as I have to sign in with my B/B account to access the mobile bill?

• Advertisement

if you cancell the B/B how can you view and pay the mobile bill? and

Well I don't have broadband. But on my virgin media account I have two SIM's registered. I would imagine you will still have a virgin media account if you cancel the BB? You can have one without the other.

Do the loyalty team ring soon after you cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭antfin

They may not call at all. I've cancelled a few times and I found that they rarely call to try to retain customers.

Even the phone number on their website for customer loyalty is no longer in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 a-non

Got 6 months half price, managed to get through to the loyalty department by ringing 1908 and selecting options 1,2,3 on keyboard. Rang at 9am and only took 20 minutes. The sales team were extremely rude and cancelled my contact after only offering 2 offers: €10 off and €15 off for 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Would you please share how the switch to your partner went?

How soon after you cancel can you reorder at the same address - Did you have to return the old modem, and was there any downtime before the new modem was delivered?

It is going well, the switch was instantaneous. Basically they overlapped the two accounts / subscriptions by two days to ensure there wasn't any disruption or loss of service as a result of any unexpected delays in receiving the new equipment. You can reorder immediately. Cancellations will try and fob you off saying they can't setup a new account at the address for a month. Just get your partner to ring sales and when they do they will bend over backwards to make sure it all goes smoothly for him / her.

So I terminated my account on say the 15th of the month, and my partners service went live on the 13th. The new equipment arrived, I unplugged my old equipment, plugged in the new equipment and everything went live immediately.

I was refunded for the remainder of the month that I did not use. Virgin Media requested that I drop off the old equipment to a drop off point and I refused, they eventually collected it from me and there wasn't any hassle.

I even ended up adding my partners account to my actual Virgin Media online account, so I still have the same log in details. I am named on the account so I have complete control of it and don't need my partner to ring every time something needs to be sorted. The whole thing is just outright stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

God forbid you need tech support these times. Wait times well over an hour, and no facility for callback.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Thank you for sharing. You’re right, that is hilarious! 😄 Glad to hear their sales team offers a better customer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Did this, waited 20 minutes on hold before getting through. Have tv & broadband €104 so it’s not worth that amount. First offer was €89 for 12 months which I refused. Then the half price for 6 months to which I asked for 9 months and was told they can’t offer that so said go ahead and cancel.

She told me new customers are only getting €52 for 6 months and I pointed out Virgin’s current €64 for 12 months so after “speaking to her supervisor” I was offered the 9 months half price 😎

Post edited by DermoMIO on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

If I'm cancelling and out of contract do I still need to give the 30 day notice?

If my partner is taking an account in their name, can they sign up now and delay the installation? We’d like the current offer with the TV but seems to end next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Yep, still need to give 30 day notice.

I'm out of contract myself. I was delighted with the deal I got last year, this year is proving to be more stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I cancelled my BB with them and because I was sorted with another provider got an instant cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

I just discovered you can cancel virgin by just emailing them at cancel@virginmedia.ie

Can't be dealing with those phone wait times.. Maybe they'll come back with an offer, maybe not.... Don't really care..

• Advertisement

Handy to know. Spent countless hours trying to cancel with them before. Let us know how cancellation went??

That's how I cancelled my father's VM, simple and painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm considering changing the account over to my partner to get the new account sign up. For anyone who has done this, do i have to swap out the current equipment i.e the router? It would be handy not to have to register all my devices onto a new network and redo the port forwarding i have set up for Plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh I would imagine they would send new kit. Also I don't think you can have had a Virgin account at the address active in the last 90 days. That could have changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've changed to the OH one year and then back to my name the year after. New equipment is always sent and they've never collected the old stuff. Never heard of that 90 day thing, never affected here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

There doesn't seem to be a 90 day rule enforced. It doesn't seem to be an issue from other posts I've read.

I know they send new equipment but I'm wondering if i could send the new equipment back as the used equipment or does the system force you to change over to it?

Has anyone had any success with the 9 months half price since the new year?

• I was on to them there this morning.

Last year I was €44 for 9 months and up to €63 for the last few. That's for 250Mb broadband only.

I don't know if their customer support team have been given given training but they were much worse this time round than in previous years. I hate this bullsh1t horse-trading you have to do every year, so I've become quite hard-headed myself.

The entire call was like a training exercise in how to miss the point being made:

I told her Vodafone are offering 1Gb for €45 for 12 months

She said that I was being offered a new customer offer, and the price would go up to €70 after that, so it's not worth it.

I said the contract is for 12 months and I could leave before the price goes up

She said that I already availed of my new customer offer with VM, so couldn't get the same deal with them.

I asked if I could leave and get someone else in the house to rejoin in their name, would I get the same deal and she said no.

They don't give that deal to anybody.

I asked what deals she can give me and the best she could do was 1Gb for €70 per month for 9 months, going up to €85 afterwards.

I said "Sure that's the same price that I won't be paying Vodafone until 2023 you said wasn't worth it, but now you're presenting it to me as a discount"?

She said that I wouldn't be able to get those speeds advertised by Vodafone, so I asked if she could guarantee that I'd get them from VM if I stayed.

She said no.

I said "so there's no real difference between both promises, except that I'd be paying €300 less per year with you than switching with them?"

------radio silence-------

"I'll cancel, then so, can you put me through to cancellations."

"I can do that for you here now".

So, cancelled and more than willing to give vodafone a go. I had planned on sticking around to see if I could get a better offer on the 250MB tariff, but she pi$$ed me off so much that I just left it there.

Was it an instant cancellation or have you given 30 days notice?

• 30 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I year after year, cancel after 12 months and sign back up as my wife, then 12 months later sign back under myself. Done it 3 times now with no problem.

I can't horse trade with them Eircom never ran a line into my block of houses originally, a city centre house with no phone line available, amazing like.

Advertisement