Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Landlords feel entitled to rent increases?

• 06-11-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Been reading a lot here and in the media in general. Landlords see no problem raising the rents on people. I'm a renter and my rent went up a few months ago. I try explaining how tough things are at the moment and told tough, your both working, deal with it.

We heard Leo crying about protecting landlord incomes. So why are Landlords allowed to give themselves a raise? We hear about market rates?

Well sadly I can't increase wages every year to meet the rent and cost of living expenses.

I know one person who has a nice landlord and they only pay only 60 per cent of the rate in Dublin city centre. His still making a profit. Only one I've heard of.

It would lead you to believe that's just a case of greed. But you listen to the Landlords on hear you swear they were a charity.

I just wonder how they sleep at night choking the average working person you keeps the country running, knowing full well you have the support of the government.

If any Landlords think they have it tough gladly trade places with ya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Why do shops increase prices' why do employees seek wage increases, why does the minimum wage increase each year? Landlords are renting out properties to make money, the same as any other business. Its all about supply and demand and at the minute there is a shortage of supply. Inflation is hitting everything at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

there are awhile lot of things to be said about costs and returns and future renovation cists. In the end the prices are set by the market, not the individual landlord.

it’s the same as the labour market. You can’t find an electrician to work for 25 euros an hour even though you might have found one ten years ago. The electrician isn’t entitled to €60/hour or more any more than he was in 2010 but it’s just the way the market is. The resource is scarce so it commands a premium. Complaining that the electrician is greedy won’t make any difference. You still won’t get a sparks for 25 euros/hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It's not because they have it tough it's because they know we are in the middle of a housing crisis so need to capitilise on it as much as they can before the next downturn/emigration crisis. Also cash reducing in value by 5%+

No different to the housing for purchase or second-hand car market, - they will set the price at whatever people are willing to pay

What we should be more angry about is that our salaries aren't increasing accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Tow

Supply and Demand.

The real laugh is the least figures from Revenue put the value of over 30% of the countries housing stock at less than or equal to 200k euro.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Any LL in an RPZ now feels obliged to raise the rent any chance they get. The rules work against you if you do not increase the rent any chance you can. I not in an RPZ....yet. This is a worry as well if you are designated your rent is fixed for at least the next 6-10 years at what could be a low rate.

That nice LL you post about was probably caught on the wrong part of the cycle when RPZ's were introduced. Not only that if he want to sell his property in the next few years it could cost him 30-50k in the market value of the apartment. So not only is he losing 6-10k/ year in rental he get screwed over on the sale as well. Between lost rent and property value he cod be looking at 100k over 6 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

I hear a lot about supply and demand, market value etc. Does it work the other way? Say there is a crash and market vaule goes down, am I entitled to my rent to go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Rustyman101

Yeah I'd imagine supply/ choice goes up rent goes down ! If not you have choice to move ? Seems more interference in market by government worse things get for all ? Would not like to be a tenant or a LL these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

When the crash comes hopefully the government put in a reverse rent cap to slow the drop in rents to protect the landlords who are now being attacked by the free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's an investment, everything else is going up in price which feeds in to their expenses so they need to raise the rent or fall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Yeah that seems to be the thing the choice to move.

I meant if the apartment in my area went down in cost, could I file a letter to the RTB and give notice for my rent to be reduced?

As far as I know it's not an option. But my Landlord can bring up the prices of places near by, that are bigger then my place, as a reason to increase my rent.

Seems like it doesn't work both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not entitled, but it may do.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Rustyman101

Supply is the issue and all these laws and restrictions will for the short-term anyways lead to reduced supply as you would want to be v brave to enter the BTL market now.

I assume when supply comes on stream 3 to 5 year's? Prices will fall as people will have a choice pay the asking price or move.

unfortunately that choice isn't there now and the government aren't helping changing the rules every week, my opinion for what it's worth, also next government SF/ ...... are any unknown quantity re market.

Yes, very much so. We gave reductions in the recession and when tennants lost jobs etc.

Now, with the current rules we have to increase the rent each year or be left behind. Previously we would only have done so every few years, and at that never increased to the full current market rate. Before when a tennant left the cost of reletting (painting, carpets, furniture, labor etc) would be covered over time by the increase to the current market rate. That is no longer possible, the rent needs to increase each year to keep up.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The RPZ are an issue in so far that you cannot look after a good tenant anymore. When I was a landlord (no longer TG) I would keep rent low for good tenants. But now because of RPZ if you did that and the tenant then left the new tenant no matter how good or bad they are would get the benefit of the previous tenants good behaviour leaving the landlord receiving lower rent but now having all the hassle of a bad tenant aswell. No matter how good the tenant I would be charging the max for rent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When we had our last rental crisis, around 2010ish, the rents where collapsing and tenants where bragging about how they got hundreds of Euro off their rent. No one complained and there wasn't stupid legislation introduced which restricted the market. Now we have a bigger crisis and the government is doing everything possible to drive investors out of the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Exactly. In 2008 I was paying 1250 for a 1 bed apartment. The following year places in the same block were advertised for 900. So I went to the landlord and said I wanted to pay 900 or I would move out. He didn't have really a choice so agreed to it. He worked in a bank and lost his job but I was hardly going to pay above market rate.

I suppose if it happened again government would introduce legislation preventing tenants from moving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Shop around, its mostly the irish ones that are the most expensive.

The current situation has come about by government manipulation of the market. It stated with the banning of bed sits, which took the bottom out of the market. We had two buildings of these, too expensive to upgrade in the 90s, so sold off. That was ~20 units no longer available to the market, in Dublin 4. Then adding protections for tennants added more hurdles. It is the exact same reason mortgage rates are so high here, if you cannot get rid of non paying tennant/homeowner it pushes up costs for everyone. The 4% rule now meaning substantial refurbishment when a tennant leaves, then 4% compound increase each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSFarrell

Back in 2010 I remember talking a letting agent from €1500 to €1300 for a 3 bed apartment. Letting agent told me the landlord had been getting €1800 in 2007. These things can work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mortgage rates are due to non-paying homeowners. Not non-paying tenants. Tenants aren't responsible for paying the mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our approach to housing and accommodation is an absolute train wreck, this is now the case for most renters and an increasing number of landlords. we ve codded ourselves into thinking absolute nonsense ideas and ideologies such as supply and demand etc etc, is how the world works, including in relation to our property needs, and now these ideas and ideologies are starting to fail for nearly everyone.

landlords have been encouraged into the market, but due to these critical failures, their chosen profession is becoming more and more precarious, hence the exodus, renters are obvious on the sh1t end of stick also, theres not much none sh1tty ends in this game

funnily enough, globally, you ll actually find, the more state interaction a country has in its property markets, the more stable those markets are, Singapore etc, we ve allowed ourselves to fall foul to this free market nonsense, now everyone is getting screwed, so, go us!

we continually keep electing governments whos main ideologies are based in continuously promoting a primarily fire sector lead economy, so yes, it is state manipulation, but its ultimately driven by these sectors....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He is on about the removal of bedsits in the early noughties. The rules changed you could not have a single room flat, cooking and bedrooms had to be separate.

In larger cities and towns there was a lot of larger town houses. LL let these as single rooms with a bed and a small kitchenette in them. A lot were let to order single people.

At the same time fire regulations changed which took out a lot of flats over commercial premises. These units went out if the market and were never replace. Any that did stay were converted to multi- occupancy units maybe on one floor and the rentals charged doubled per occupant.

Slava Ukrainii

You're missing the point by using the word "entitled".

A person buys an investment property to make money. It only makes sense to rent it out for as much as they can. It's not a public service. They don't owe anyone anything.

If there's a lot of choice out there, it puts pressure on landlords to attract tenants, by either improving the property or lowering the rent. On the other hand if people are desperate for housing, landlords can charge much higher rents.

The problem these days isn't what the landlords are charging; it's that the government has turned a blind eye to the fact that there isn't enough housing for everyone. If there were enough properties, people would have choice, and prices would go down. Instead, they just keep making moves that make it less attractive to become a landlord, which encourages property owners to sit on empty properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We've never let "supply and demand" work. We've either provided unneeded tax breaks to encourage supply in the noughties boom or introduced rent controls in the last few years to drive down supply. Then we provide tax incentives for big "professional" landlords to come in , after we've driven out the amateur landlords, who are buying up supply and leaving units empty because of interference in the market by goverment.

You can't compare a democratic country with an tiny city state ruled by a single party. Look at the problems nearly every other functioning country is having with property and they are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Devils advocate. Flip it on its head. Why are you entitled to low rents in private rental property.

What decides the salary you are. Why should that be low or high?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

it most definitely works both ways. From 2010 on I got 3 rent reductions in a row by asking the landlord. Not getting you about contacting the RTB, this is a contract between you and the landlord. If the market was in such a way that there were loads of options available, you would just request the reduction from the LL. If they say no you move out and get a cheaper place. They would probably agree to the reduction as they dont want to go through the hassle of finding another tenant for the lesser rent anyway!

Its the same the other way around, the landlord is raising the rent because in the current market there are not a high number of places available and so you more or less have to accept the increase if the new rent is in line with the market or you'll be finding a new place for the higher rent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dont forget revenue take over 50% of what you are paying in rent too.

They are making more out of it than anyone.

Of course then you have the REITs who have a sweetheart deal.

Everyone, ordinary landlords and tenants are being screwed over by the government. But it suits them to pit landlords against tenants so the REITs and the govt can hide in the long grass and collect your money.

we have to walk away from all of this textbook economic crap, fundamental beliefs of this thinking, such as supply and demand simply doesnt work in this case, its not how the real world works, what you have just described is exactly what occurs when you allow major sectors such as the fire sectors to control your economy, i.e. credit fueled booms, and credit fueled busts, which in turn causes highly reactive policies such as you described.

yes, we ve all followed each other down this fire sector cul de sac, we have to move back towards more state interactions with these critical sectors, and not allow them to dominate and dictate our economies, as we have now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was referring to the sentence:

if you cannot get rid of non paying tennant/homeowner it pushes up costs for everyone.

I am aware of the rules outlawing bedsits etc. If those were still allowed then there would be more accommodation available. But you could say the same about 10-to-a-room tenements.

Advertisement