Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most of the fitness watches, trackers or bands I see worn now are on the wrists of overweight people.

They obviously aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Very nice watch Banie, and good luck with the delivery. Hopefully they seller did the electronic declaration correctly... My recent experience has been that as long as that is filled in the they are not taking a second look at packages ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fingers crossed their part is all done correctly, I think I'd be more upset if it gets returned to sender and I have to wait for it to be be re-posted 🤣 than I would be with the VAT bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think that maybe they are trying to make a positive change. Most of the people on diets are overweight too, does that mean diets dont work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"does that mean diets dont work?"

Largely yes.

"I started with Fitbit and they kept breaking within warranty so I went for a garmin which is much better and more accurate for running and gym work"

So it's fair to say you'd be lost without your Garmin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

6 1/2 inch wrist eh? Hmmm, you're getting dangerously close to the vintage market at that size. 😮😀

Plus fair bloody play for dropping that amount of excess you! 😮 Serious kudos.

Fair play, lucky you didnt have a smart watch, a calorie deficit doesn't matter with one of those bad boys on I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The annual Patek exhibition which includes this years new releases is in Weirs at the moment, the last day in Sunday. Might be of interest to some here, great chance to try on some of the scarcer models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

I just had a quick look at their FB and it's up on that so i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Seen their posts earlier with a full selection of Patek on show and then noticed the little “exhibition “ badge in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

And those you can, you better have 40k + cash sitting around :)

Just asking for a friend who told me he read somewhere that you can never actually own one.

At this point im convinced that if they said you’ve to give us back the old one to get a new one (with no trade in) people would still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

just after seeing lorus automatic watches online and as they are owned by SEIKO and the watch resembles a seiko 5 does anyone know if it is a re badged seiko5?

Went into the exhibition was great,name down for a 5164a but I'll probably never see it .

Great to see the full range and try whatever you like on.

No she seemed happy I was interested but obviously non committal on how long. I'll follow up with an email

One just popped up on my Instagram feed if you don’t want to wait, I reckon you should go for it…

I am far from Patek territory 😉 I do hope that the waitlist is kind to you Cyrus. I have had the good fortune to have had 893's on the wrist for a few minutes and they really, really are an exceptional piece. It's mad how I went from just how good can a rubber banded sports watch be? To holy feck, it's brilliant 🤣

It's actually the one watch that I consistently get PM'd about on insta asking if I'm selling. I've had 10/11 messages about it.

Stuck a very cheeky offer in on Omega 2535.80 earlier. If it's accepted brilliant 👍 if it's not I hope this lad is a better negotiator than the Italian dope I was trying to buy 1 from yesterday.

They had the watch up at 3k including shipping, made a fair offer within 10% of asking. Their counter offer was 3.5k🤷

what Lotus watch(s), model numbers or links please. If they're in the same price range it's virtually certain that there will be no difference in quality. You get what you pay for at the lower-middle end of the watch market. Higher up it gets more complicated.

I think thats a good choice, its a little thicker than the OG Aquanaut which is good and a bit more diameter also. I must pop into them tomorrow and have a look. I miss my aquanaut and one at retail would be a real coup.

@ct its lorus and argos is where i saw them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't find a better photo but movement does look like a 7s26 or a variation of it

Post edited by Ryath on

At retail a no brainer but I think the call will never come. Not sure what current RRP is for the 5167 but I think around 19k. Cheapest on c24 is 50k.

I said it 18 months ago when Aqua were 35k-40 on c24 that at double their retail they are good value. They are now 50-55k on c24 and I think still represent value. The range will be discontinued and refreshed in the next two years (the current range is there since 2008. They will jump to 70k immediately.

Crazy crazy crazy money as it stands. But room to get crazier I think.

thanks Ryath

In Weirs looking at the Patek Exhibition. Lot of watches you just never see. A lot were non functional, but in the right metal and with movements just non functional. Still nice to try a few on. Certainly hit home to me that I dont like Nautilus except the mad annual calendar 6 figure watch. Love aquanauts....the chrono versions are deadly, loved the green and the blue. A bunch of photos to swoon over

@Fitz II Lovely selection of wristies there! Wonder how many of those I could buy with the funds released from the below?😉

I know it's an early version, I know it's rare, has a brown dial and TBH? I love the hands. But! How in the name of any rationality? Can a watch that in all other respects is unremarkable except for it's provenance? And even that is quite unremarkable...

Guided for an estimated top range of €120k, sell for nearly €3 million?!?😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love those first few pics of the navy and green Aquanauts, did you dress on purpose for them? 😂

Well, does wearing any of them bring the love for the hobby back a bit? That 5990/1R is the ultimate flex watch. And if you could get that at retail, it will be the best investment you ever make, pay 5 figures and make an instant quarter of a million profit 😎

Glad a few here got into the exhibition to see the pieces in the flesh. They really are stunning when you have them in hand. 5172 for me is the best piece they have. I’ve my name down the last good while for a 5164a too and no sign of it anytime soon. Whenever I do get it I think that would be me done with new watches for a good while.

Agree i loved the 5172 i have to say, beautiful.

5172 took my eye also, that caseback..I could state at it all day cause I am into that,.. Heavy price...the breitling premier get you a lot of the way there but the strap and the finish on the Patek was eye catching allbeit at a significant premium. I was loving the chrono aquanauts the size is super and great wearability. But look father Ted they all have lovely bottoms.

Tbh even if someone was in the market for a 70k chronograph, I can’t see why they wouldn’t get an ALS 1815 and save themselves 15k!

I was thinking the exact same. And at a mm or so thinner it will wear a lot better.

But….Patek…

More sporty look than the ALS and more "swiss" less "germanic" , but the movement on the ALS looks better, more depth (never saw one in the metal only talking off photos here).....but look I am going to throw this out here.....60k on a watch is too much money on a watch....thats an entire collection of excellent watches. There said it.

Who are you? And what have you done with our high end flipper? 😉🤣

I don't disagree with you, but am surprised that it was said by you.

New Tudor Pelagos just announced with some interesting design choices... it has a bi-directional countdown bezel, and no spring bars so no option of using a bracelet.

Its arrived in Ireland 😁 Sacrifices to the gods of Revenue have failed however and an additional few hundred will be required on top before it makes its way to me. C'est la guerre!🙄

The transit time from US to here may be of interest to some. It spent from the 3rd to late evening on the 9th wending its way from Nebraska to Illinois. once it hit Chicago, in Ireland and customs generated within 14hrs!

Who was it sent with Banie? USPS?

Interesting (and disappointing) that Revenue caught it, what was the declared value if I can be so nosey?!

Sent via USPS and declared value was the sale price. No attempt to disguise that or obfuscate it TBH. Rather a hope that it'd swerve the desk 😉 naive I know but then I can rely on luck rather than overt tax evasion for saving me a few quid.

Tax hit should be in the 390 range but tbh, that still brings the total cost of the watch to €2.2k which I really think is still great value for what it is.

Forgot to mention, the new Pelagos...

The only part of it that appeals to me is the no-date. The integrated case and bi directional bezel really don't gel with me at all. Bi-directional bezel on a diver is a safety risk IMO and detracts from the redundancy that it gives with a D.C

edit

Just to add, of course some divers such as the ploprof and Eterna kontiki and I think maybe IWC? Have bi-directional bezels but they are lockable or a combo of 2 bezels internal/external with 1 either lockable or uni-directional to ensure dive time accuracy.

From what I've read of the FXD, the bezel doesn't lock. May be of use to a military diver navigating? But no help to a PADI or recreational diver.

Post edited by banie01 on

"New Tudor Pelagos just announced with some interesting design choices... it has a bi-directional countdown bezel, and no spring bars so no option of using a bracelet."

Do the military versions have a bi-directional bezel?

Yeah, they say that it is not used for monitoring air / time under water; but for navigating.

E.G. Swim West for 10 minutes, then North for 6 minutes and you will reach your destination. (At least that is how in understood it!)

"No attempt to disguise that or obfuscate it TBH. Rather a hope that it'd swerve the desk 😉 naive I know but then I can rely on luck rather than overt tax evasion for saving me a few quid."

You are a good citizen!

Lads, I am surprised and a honestly amazed at the madness at play in the market for blue watches! I honestly expected this back with me in a week or 2 unsold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

nice Banie... i should list my blue datejust :) happy with the outcome?