Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I feel very sorry for the girl although I am totally sick of listening to her too, or more to the point i am sick of listening to her disciples.

Now this is not her fault at all.

But here is kid who has been thrust into the limelight by her parents and "handlers" for want of a better word.

They have totally destroyed their childs life.

She will forever be followed by the media, tweeted about and watched and photographed every little thing she buys.

She can never now go on a sun holiday with her mates just for the craic.

God help her if she buys a house more than one bedroom. Or drives somewhere without car sharing etc.

There is so much now that that girl cannot do for the rest of her life without being put under the microscope. This will hurt her in the long run I think.

And all because she wasnt looked after by her parents in her teens.

Not to mention being terrified that the world is going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

“Change is not going to come from inside there, that is not leadership.”

”No more what ever the f* they are doing inside there.”

”We are sick and tired of it and we are going to make a change, whether they like it or not”

This is sounding like the capital building riots in the US. What are they going to do? Is there going to be climate terrorism next? What change are they going to make?

My mind goes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do you think should happen?

There is a problem, there isn't enough action being taken to address it. Would you just quietly fold up your placard and shuffle off home?

There is zero evidence to support this nonsense that Greta was pushed in to this by her parents or anyone else. In fact, less than zero. From her own mouth, she has said how she pushed her parents to be concerned about the climate.

A question for you, why do you lie about something so easy to prove as false?

• Advertisement

I think it's highly likely that Greta started off with a fervent interest in the climate question, but that this has since become a commercial weapon. Greta and the parents may well be raking in the cash in more ways than one. Greta's ideological message is a lucrative business.

As always, what starts out as righteous indignation becomes weaponized for financial gain by nefarious forces.

And there may be questions of psychology involved here. I think Nigel Farage hit the nail on the head regarding her latest COP26 performance.

What exactly are they going to do? Change would have to come from elected leaders not someone with a microphone shouting in the street. She represents a small faction of loon’s. Elections are where leaders are selected to represent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

"It was August 20, 2018, and luckily for Greta Thunberg, PR guru Ingmar Rentzhog happened to be strolling past “on the way to work”." - If you believe that, i'll sell you a couple of bridges across the Liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Quoting **** nigel farage, i swear you lot just get more and more retarded

I've thought about just not responding to this type of argument which shows the awareness of someone yet to do the junior cert but anyone paying close attention to the worlds of politics and current affairs would see that rarely does significant change come solely at the behest of a politician. (Micheal Martins smoking in the workplace ban might be one event that was actually largely driven by a politician). But, time and again we see politicians come with a position on an argument already in play.

We saw this recently in the Repeal the 8th referendum where FF and FG were slow to push for change until they saw the lay of the land.

Gay rights, the right to divorce, even the construction site safe pass all came about because non-elected people called for change.

And someone paying attention to such current affairs would be very much aware of the access incredibly funded lobbyists have to the elected officials and the spanners that are thrown in the works as a consequence of this. If you don't know what I talking about, check out Joe Manchin and how oil lobbyists speak with him weekly and how he has influenced the bill Joe Biden is currently attempting to pass.

• Advertisement

As always, what starts out as righteous indignation becomes weaponized for financial gain by nefarious forces.

Bet your buddy Andrew Neil would give you a big thumbs up for that comment, what do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

That letter from the Mayor of Hamburg was good advice. I doubt she heeded it.

Posters above arguing about whether people with ASD have empathy:

I think the best way of looking at it (according to the likes of Ali G's cousin Simon Baron Cohen at least) is that they lack/struggle with cognitive empathy not affective empathy (which is what psychopaths lack).

She's invested in a cause and not appreciating the complexity and nuance (what the Mayor laid out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

She’s chanting “shove your climate crisis up your ass” … so does that mean she’s changed sides and doesn’t think it’s no longer important … or does she not understand what her slogan means?

They haven’t thought through the consequences of the change they are screaming for. It going to be a green tax rather than green credits for people that actually live cleanly which will result in poor pensioners freezing during winter.

SMH.

She is ridiculing the blasé/hypocritical attitude that has been shown to the situation by politicians who have accepted there is a crisis, and then don't act to prevent it being as serious as it might be.

Her own tweet where she re-tweeted the video of her chanting that with the words 'When in Scotland' shows she understands the nuances in a particular vastly more than I suspect many of her detractors do.

They haven’t thought through the consequences of the change they are screaming for

Any chance you and the others haven't thought through the impact of not countering the crisis?

I think it was the PM of Bangladesh said yesterday that 20M people could be displaced in their region by 2050 as a consequence of the changing climate. The Boards users of that time aren't going to stop and think about why such people might then by seeking to relocate to Europe.

And I'm sorry, but I don't buy this faux concern for pensioners. Again, many of the same people telling Greta to shut up have been telling everyone for the last 18 months that they shouldn't have to restrict their lifestyle just to protect pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Is that what shoving something up your arse means now …. My bad sorry 😂😂😂

so what’s Greta achieving out across the water with her potty mouth that’s more likely to aolve global warming ? I haven’t heard any reasonable actionable plans from her… just blah blah blahs 🙈😂

It appears that we still have issues on this topic where a few posters are unable to distinguish between people poking fun at their idol and actual ad hom against other boards users

The progress being announced today through politics and legitimate institutions should be a good enough news story for anyone not overly invested in the pedestal their own little icon of shouty doom is put on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Scrap the CAP is hardly nuanced! It's fair enough that yourself and others choose to defend her but she is not in the room. She has really not got any actual solutions apart from screaming and shouting about how little she trusts politicians to do things and now by the looks of things swearing at people.

Your own postings here also seem somewhat  narrow minded at times and you have produced a range of remarkable stereotypes for those who question her part in all of this activism.  Her own behaviour at present really puts her into the stereotype of a cranky or stroppy teenager.

Things are happening, in small ways and only in some parts of the world but they will speed up over the next number of years. What this gathering is specifically looking at is getting pretty much every country on the planet on the same page. An agreement of that nature is a very good start and doing that will be an achievement but some folks will call it blah blah blah and for them setting targets beyond 2030 is viewed as object failure.

Personally I reckon the agreement over deforestation is a very decent start, once they actually act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭B2021M

Exactly!!! She will live to regret that outburst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She pushed her parents in to it? Ha. And the script writers, activist aid and handlers all just magically appeared one day.

Also practically nothing is from her own mouth. Everything is scripted. When off the script she does not know what to say. In that regard she is a very poor public speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

I think she should put her money where her mouth is and run for election. Easier to change something from the inside than the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Both her parents have careers in show business, they are always on the move, especially Gretas mother and her father takes on the primary parent role, he also has his own acting career and business to run. Neither parent has sufficient time to devote to Greta or her sister in their early school years and have partially outsourced parenting to the Swedish school system.

Gretas condition meant she found it difficult to relate to other girls in school, she got bullied, around the age of puberty she stops eating and speaking to people. The total meltdown forced her parents to reconfigure their lives to care for her. Essentially both Greta and her sister find a way to ground their mother so both would no longer be ignored.

We don't rightly know how Gretas obsession with climate started. We are given a story about a climate propaganda video being shown in class and how it affects her, however, before that Gretas mother also has expressed the politically correct opinions on climate which is not unusual in show business where you have to maintain public profile and it's low cost. I reckon this became the common bond between mother and daughter and Gretas obsession become an acceptable compromise to restore stability within the family.    We can all be wise in hindsight, as parents we are not experts in child psychology, we learn as we go.   Both Gretas parents paid a price for the initial lack of diligence regarding their daughters well-being, they are not bad parents they did put their resources into managing and resolving the crisis that befell them as best they could.

Her mothers book was originally titled Scenes from the Heart and published in Swedish in 2018. It has been been published for the English market as Our house is on fire.

From the book here is the low point:

At Greta's school there's a psychologist who is experienced with autism. She talks with both of us on the phone and says that a careful investigation must of course still be conducted, but in her eyes — and off the record — Greta shows clear signs of being on the autism spectrum 'High-functioning Asperger's,' the school psychologist says.

We do our best to take in what she's telling us, which does sound extremely convincing, but coming to terms with the fact that our daughter could be autistic is a tremendous challenge. Not a single person in our circle of acquaintances reacts with anything other than a big 'Huh?!' when we test the autism theory out on them

Greta does not have a single characteristic trait of autism or Asperger's to us. So either the school psychologist is crazy or else we have run into a gigantic gap in public awareness

Then follows an endless stream of meetings, from BUP to the Stockholm Centre for Eating Disorders, where we repeat our story and explore our options. We talk away while Greta sits silently. She has stopped speaking with anyone except me, Svante and Beata. We take turns relaying the details Sometimes there are up to six people present at the meetings, and although everyone really wants to offer all the help they can, it's as if there's no help to be had

Not yet, at least. We're fumbling in the dark.

After two months of not eating Greta has lost almost 10 kg, which is a lot when you are rather small to begin with. Her body temperature is low and her pulse and blood pressure clearly indicate signs of starvation.

She no longer has the energy to take the stairs and her scores on the depression tests she takes are sky high. We explain to our daughter that we have to start preparing ourselves for a stay at the hospital, and we describe how it's possible to get nutrition and food without eating, with tubes and drips.

As regards how Greta shot to public attention. NGOs such as Greenpeace had been trying for a number of years to launch campaigns with different children, in particular targeting the German market (Fridays for future), here is an example of a failed Greenpeace campaign from 2007.

Here is another example of the use of children by activists called the Sunrise Movement in the United States in 2019 to force the Green New deal.

Here is Severn Cullis-Suzuki daughter of a multi-millionaire environmentalist from Canada addressing the UN in 1992. Greta more or less copies this years later.

I had the chronology of the lunch of the Greta campaign back in 2018, Gretas parents met with Ingmar Rentzhog in May that year.

Gretas mother launched her book in the week prior to Gretas protest in which Mr. Rentzhog just happened to be walking by and photographed her, this made its way from facebook onto the pages of one of the front pages of a national newspaper in Sweden and from there the wheels were in motion and it spread internationally.

Swedish journalist Andreas Henriksson was the first to point out that Mr Rentzhog likely already knew Ms Thunberg and her family, having taken part in the same climate change conference in May that year.

Anyone familiar with media campaigns knows there is much groundwork that goes on in the background before the story is published. And what do you know before long, Greta and her father are on a millionaires yacht on the way to a UN climate conference and the children are skipping double maths and Irish to protest climate. In Ireland the marches are co-ordinated by Stop Climate Chaos and Union activists. StopClimateChaos are aligned with the multinational NGO Climate action network (CAN) formed in 1989 one year after the IPCC.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Things are happening, in small ways and only in some parts of the world but they will speed up over the next number of years. What this gathering is specifically looking at is getting pretty much every country on the planet on the same page. An agreement of that nature is a very good start and doing that will be an achievement but some folks will call it blah blah blah and for them setting targets beyond 2030 is viewed as object failure.

I must have dreamt about the Paris Agreement and all the countries who signed up to that.

It is telling that since that was signed, Greta is probably the person who has been must in the news for advocating for action to follow that commitment. She deserves credit for this being the case and for her recent condemnation of empty promises and meaningless action. Instead she gets ridicule and dismissal from many of the contributors to the discussion on here.

Example #412 of the conservative motto. 'Accuse others of that which you are guilty'. Carry on snoopsheep, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do we listen to African people grievances. They had it hard yet they promote homophobic tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Credit for calling for others to take action. My god. Credit is handed out so easily it seems.

Yeah. All it took was 3 years of weekly protests, speaking at national parliaments and other international groupings, speaking publicly on the topic, motivating others to march for the same cause and ensuring the topic got frequent and pointed media attention.

All by the age of attention

Sure anyone could do that.

God "i know you are but what am i" alive and well and clapping itself on the back in 2021

• Advertisement

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Advertisement