Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Any word on the n73 schemes , travelled the road today for the first time in a while and forgot how bad it is . Still don't know how my mirrors weren't hit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is there any proposal to improve the N17 north of Tuam, specifically the section north of Milltown, towards Ballindine?

If so, would that be in this thread, as a minor scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Roscommon have tendered for ground investigation for a N61 Tulsk to Gortnacrannagh which is to the north of Tulsk. There's already a scheme advancing south of Tulsk. This new?

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/200322/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

That's the first time I've ever seen this scheme mentioned, including in internal TII docs I got under FOI. Gortnacrannagh is where the new N5 will cross the N61, so it's possible traffic on this stretch of the N61 is expected to increase as a result.

Very interesting and welcome. It's a 6km stretch so a nice chunk of the N61 up for renewal. I've never driven but it looks shockingly narrow on Street View.

These residual network schemes going hand in hand with the big ones are most welcome also (same line of thinking as the N63 Abbeyknockmoy-Annagh Hill scheme).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭ELCAT2009

In July letters sent to all affected parties indicating that they intended to apply to An Boar Pleanala for CPO as well as the submission of the NIS in Sept 2021. They asked for comments before Aug 12th. Here we are in November and no plans lodged yet!

I think this is being built alongside the N5 but only from Shankill to Gortnacrannagh. The N61 will be upgraded from Shankill to Gortnacrannagh as part of the N5 project and is clearly fenced off for this. I've heard nor seen nothing about this continuing onwards to Tulsk. It's not located anywhere on Roscommon Co Co's website. You're correct, the road is extremely narrow from Tulsk to Killina, with no hard shoulder at all. To make it worse, 2 new drainage bridges were rebuilt just north of Tulsk about 9 years ago, leaving 2 bad humps in the road. It was closed for months only to be left with these death traps.

• Advertisement

I was at the public consultation today for the N60 Manulla bypass route options and found out some interesting tidbits.

• The project has been descoped from 4km to 2.3km to stay within the 20m euro threshold for minor improvement schemes. This means the project has had to go back to the route selection stage.
    • The two route options both include a bridge to replace the level crossing and a bypass of the village crossroads and school. The eastern part of the original 4km project, which was planned to tie in with the recently completed Lagnamuck project, won't go ahead, apart from improvements to two junctions.
    • Due to the delays caused by the descoping, the earliest this project can now go to ABP is 2023, with construction possible in 2024.
    • I also asked about the nearby Heathlawn scheme (4km online type 2 SC). They were a lot more optimistic about this going ahead soon - the contracts are currently undergoing a final review and all that's needed after that is for TII to give approval to go to tender. The project also has to be recosted to reflect recent construction inflation, but there appears to be no risk it will go above 20m euro as there are no significant structures on the route, and the project is fully online. They hope to go to tender next year.
    • There is some talk in TII that the 20m euro limit for minor works schemes will be increased to reflect higher construction costs, but nothing firm has been decided yet.
    • The N5 Westport to Turlough scheme is still on schedule to finish by next October.

It's a rare day when the people of Mayo don't want a new road!

They're deluded if they think there will be a new N26 & N58. Regardless of who is in government, they're not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It seems that the Rosslare Harbour Relief road (N25??) planning process is chugging along nicely and from the newsletter a few weeks back "it is anticipated that a planning application may be submitted to An Bord Pleanála before the end of the year or early next year".

CPOs also to be done in the immediate future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Never heard of that one. Passed me by!

I'm having a hard time reconciling the route this will take with the route of the N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare road.

Here is the map of the Access road:

Here is the map of the N11/N25 scheme:

The Oilgate/Rosslare road will completely overlap the Europort access road. Only thing I can think of it that if approaching Rosslare on the N11/N25 scheme, you reach the new Ballygillane roundabout, then immediately do a U-turn to get onto Europort access road.

By the way, the new Ballygillane roundabout indicated on the Access road map will be very tight for trucks. Should be a flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If you superimpose this map onto the Rosslare-Oilgate one, things make more sense.

Yellow is the preferred corridor for Oilgate-Rosslare; Blue is Rosslare relief road. You can see why one part has been drawn as a dotted line - it may be repurposed later as part of N25. I expect a Rosslare Harbour junction immediately north of that car yard, with the dotted blue routing eventually becoming the tail end of N25 into Rosslare village (most likely a single-carriageway at this point).

Incidentally, the Ballygillane roundabout drawn here has a slightly wider diameter than the existing port entrance roundabout - it should not be a problem for trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd assume the N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare road will end on a roundabout on the curve of the blue line Port Access Road.

You can see in Google Maps there is a wide strip of undeveloped land about 200m west of the existing N25, I wonder was that originally reserved for a new port access road? Could make a nice linear park for the town if no longer needed.

OPW recently built a new Border Control Post beside the existing N25, presumably a new one will have to be built further east with the new N11/N25 scheme as traffic would no longer past the existing one.

Some tidbits from Mayo County Council’s 2022 budget:

N59 Projects

Work on the N59 Projects between Westport and Mulranny will continue. Negotiations with landowners on outstanding cases will continue throughout 2022. The N59 Newport to Derradda Scheme will be ready to commence procurement of a construction contract in Q4 2021 subject to TII approval and it is hoped that a contractor will be on site in Q2 2022. The detailed design of the N59 Roskeen to Derradda will commence during 2022.

N60 Projects

Work on the N60 Projects including Heathlawn and Manulla Cross will continue throughout 2022. Negotiations with landowners on outstanding cases will continue throughout 2022. It is anticipated that the N60 Heathlawn Scheme will be ready to commence procurement of a construction contract in Q4 2021, subject to TII approval and it is anticipated that a contractor will be on site in mid-2022. The N60 Manulla Cross Scheme will continue with the route option selection and statutory processes during 2022.

N26 Ballina Bypass Phase 1 

The Strategic Assessment Report for the N26 Ballina Bypass Phase 1 has been approved by the Department of Transport and the scheme will proceed through the route selection, preliminary design and environmental assessment during 2022.

N17 Knock to Collooney Road Project

Sligo County Council, through a Section 85 Agreement with Mayo County Council, are progressing the N17 Knock to Collooney Road Project through the route selection process throughout 2022, with follow on preliminary design and environmental assessment.

Safety Schemes

The following schemes will be progressed under the TII safety programme:

• N84 North of Shrule at Gorteens - Road widening.

• N84/L1611 New Street / Convent Road Junction – Application for traffic lights.

• N59 Carrowbaun Westport – Junction improvements.

• N5/R320 Swinford – Junction improvements.

• N60 Claremorris – Ballyhaunis at Bekan – Realignment scheme and overbridge.

Regional Road Projects

The R312 Regional Road Re-alignment at Glenisland was completed in 2021. Preliminary Appraisal Reports had been submitted to the DOT seeking funding for the design of the R332 Kilmaine – Foxhall (Galway County Boundary) and for the R345 Cong by-pass. A strategic assessment report has been approved by the Department of Transport for the R345 Cong by-pass.

Preliminary Appraisal Reports have been submitted to the Department of Transport for R312 Glenisland Phase 2, R315 Crossmolina to Lahardane at Castlehill, R313 Bangor to Belmullet at Glencastle and R314 Killala Inner Relief Road Phase 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

• N84 North of Shrule at Gorteens - Road widening.

Glad to see this happening. I drive that road most mornings and the road surface from Ballinrobe all the way to Shrule is pretty good after the last upgrade. Couldn't understand why the last stretch at Gorteens wasn't done during the last works. Its only about 200 metres and is quiet tight and a poor surface. If you didn't know the road, you would come on it fairly quickly after the bends and meet oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement

The taoiseach allegedly getting involved in the N26 campaign. The much needed upgrade of the Ballina to Foxford road is likely to be announced as a series of minor works schemes as it's not in the NDP.

Confirmation sent today to all affected land owners that CPO and planning permission being applied for next week from An Bord Pleanala.

Some good news for users of the busy N60 between Castlebar and Claremorris in today's TII allocations for 2022.

€4m for the 4km Heathlawn realignment - this amount would mean TII intends for construction to start in 2022, so a tender must be imminent.

€2m for pavement upgrades between Brize and Claremorris, which are badly needed.

€200k for the Manulla bypass, to allow design work to continue to crawl along!

Is it possible to get posts relating to the N17 junction moved to the relevant thread?

Also, I'd suggest that posts relating to the N26 above should be moved. Maybe the N26 needs its own thread, or the existing N26 Cloongullane Bridge thread gets its scope expanded. There is movement on a bypass of Ballina and talk of a Foxford bypass, either of these projects would be more than a minor scheme so doesnt make sense to have them in this thread.

N17 Milltown to Gortnagunnad proposed upgrade planning permission and CPO application were sent to An Board Pleanala Christmas week. Lots of information about the scheme with plans, design reports etc all here: https://www.galway.ie/en/services/roads/roadsprojects/milltown/

That's great news. I drove the length of the N17 in Mayo today and it's of a very high standard - hard shoulders all the way (except Charlestown and Ballindine) and excellent road surface too. Galway has some catching up to do!

I'd suggest moving the above two posts, plus 515 and 516, regarding N17 to (but remove 2017 scheme from the title)

I would disagree...its only 3km long and is mostly realignment of the existing road albeit on a National Primary Route. The Tuam-Claremorris Scheme is a completely different scale of a project and deserves its own thread. Hopefully it progresses in the next 10 years but realistically its probably 20 years away now that this last section will be realigned. M20 will be next major project i imagine that is funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭serfboard

Agreed. The Tuam-Claremorris scheme is a completely different scheme, and will bypass this particular scheme when it is built. At 3km in length, this scheme here definitely fits into the "Minor Schemes and Realignments" topic of this thread.

Furthermore, I think that it's unlikely that the Tuam-Claremorris scheme will ever be built.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't think an entirely new road between Tuam and Claremorris scheme will ever be built. This project will likely be defacto a phase in what will be the only Tuam-Claremorris scheme we will ever see, hence why I suggested it should be in that thread (also better to have link to drawings accessible in a particular thread than have it get lost in this thread). Bypasses of Milltown and Ballindine will likely be done, along with similar upgrades to the road either side of the towns.

Advertisement