Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 - Tuam to Claremorris (2017 scheme)

Options
  • 31-07-2017 11:36am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to the Times yesterday, the N17 from Tuam to Claremorris will feature as part of Varadkar's new Capital Plan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/ireland-plans-80bn-infrastructure-spend-vc92c3s65

All work from the previous scheme which got to route selection will be scrapped, and this scheme will start from a blank slate.

Likely to be Type 2 dual carriageway same as the soon to be opened Tuam bypass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

marno21 wrote: »
    According to the Times yesterday, the N17 from Tuam to Claremorris will feature as part of Varadkar's new Capital Plan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/ireland-plans-80bn-infrastructure-spend-vc92c3s65

All work from the previous scheme which got to route selection will be scrapped, and this scheme will start from a blank slate.

Likely to be Type 2 dual carriageway same as the soon to be opened Tuam bypass.

Kind of a waste of money no? there's other sections of the N17 more worthy of the investment than a Dual carriageway between Tuam and Claremorris.
    The N17 is a pretty good national route except for a small stretch around Milltown and the last 30km from Charlestown to Collooney.. overall, in terms of improvements per € it would make more sense to target these areas. Is it now policy that all new national routes be 2+2 duallers rather that wide single carriageways?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Yes; WS2 and 2+1 are now no longer options. 2+2 (Type 2 DC) is now the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Anything that makes my journey from Donegal to Galway easier is a plus but would agree it's not badly needed, a bypass of Charlestown and Tubbercurry would be a lot more beneficial. Likewise the N15 between Sligo and Bundoran is in a worse state.

Does this mean the Atlantic Corridor is back on the table?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anything that makes my journey from Donegal to Galway easier is a plus but would agree it's not badly needed, a bypass of Charlestown and Tubbercurry would be a lot more beneficial. Likewise the N15 between Sligo and Bundoran is in a worse state.

Does this mean the Atlantic Corridor is back on the table?

TII were flying a kite about a Tobercurry bypass recently with no mention of a Tuam-Claremorris DC. Tuam-Claremorris is less important given all the realignment between Milltown and Ballindine.

The Atlantic Corridor isn't explicitly back on the table but a lot of the original schemes are badly needed and there aren't priorities elsewhere. Only Patrickswell-Tuam and Sligo-Collooney are properly done. There are wide S2 schemes like Claremorris/Knock/Ballyshannon/Bundoran/Donegal done but might be retrofitted to 2+2 going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've only driven parts of the N17 around Knock and Claremorris and that's a top quality, albeit single carriageway road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think this is all bullsh1t - for starters we need €13 billion for water infrastructre to prevent more Louth-type incidences, more boil-water notices and to prevent us from flushing un-treated sewage straight into the sea (as we are in over 40 locations currently).

After that, roads-wise, the M20 is, IMO, no. 1, and there are loads of other schemes ahead of this one, including even on the N17.

There are two possible reasons for mentioning Claremorris:

1. You could argue that the main Galway->Castlebar road should be the N17 and N60, which could mean they could downgrade the awful N84 to a regional road.

2. They're preparing to finance a Greenway on the WRC north of Athenry and the Claremorriseys need to be thrown a bone.

road_high wrote: »
    I've only driven parts of the N17 around Knock and Claremorris and that's a top quality, albeit single carriageway road.

Another easy candidate for the 2+2 treatment, much like the N15 Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Another easy candidate for the 2+2 treatment, much like the N15 Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass.

Does more land need to be bought for say converting a wide single carriage with hard shoulders to a 2 +2.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishgeo wrote: »
    Does more land need to be bought for say converting a wide single carriage with hard shoulders to a 2 +2.

In most cases, none

If new interchanges or bridges are needed there will be isolated areas needing more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Regarding the Claremorris->Knock road, one could argue that it should have been built 2+2 in the first place, though I know that wasn't the standard then.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to upgrade it to 2+2, given that there are some direct accesses to houses on that "new" road.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Regarding the Claremorris->Knock road, one could argue that it should have been built 2+2 in the first place, though I know that wasn't the standard then.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to upgrade it to 2+2, given that there are some direct accesses to houses on that "new" road.

Good point....typical lack of forward planning in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good point....typical lack of forward planning in this country.

To be fair that stretch of road is perfectly adequate as is, I don't see any reason why it'd need upgrading in the medium term.

As for the Ballyshannon bypass, the bridge over the Erne would be a problem there, it's 2+1 but from memory I don't think there's any shoulder so it wouldn't be possible to widen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To be fair that stretch of road is perfectly adequate as is, I don't see any reason why it'd need upgrading in the medium term.

As for the Ballyshannon bypass, the bridge over the Erne would be a problem there, it's 2+1 but from memory I don't think there's any shoulder so it wouldn't be possible to widen

2+2 didn't exist when Claremorris/Knock was done, it was built to the correct standard for its time. It's a excellent stretch of road to be fair.

The Cathleen Falls bridge seemed wide enough to me when I drove it, it would be a pity if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its 2 + 1 with a hard shoulder on the 1 side.

https://goo.gl/maps/KugX3h3GTgQ2

I drive that route a lot, went to Sligo last weekend in fact and it's a really nice route to drive on a nice day with the exception of the Milltown - Ballindine stretch and the last 20 odd Kms up to Collooney..
    I think it's a great road but there is a bad stretch between Milltown and Ballindine. if it was just widened and some of the bends smoothed out and brought up to the standard of the rest of the N17 (like the recent piece at Ballindine) it would be perfectly fine.
    I think trying to retrofit a 2+2 will be slow, complicated and quite expensive with access for houses and junctions for minor roads.

My fear is that if 2+2 DC is the only option open to the planners/TII that it will lead to that stretch being left as it is for years until there's a much bigger pot of cash available. The issue of keeping traffic routed through Milltown and Ballindine will also crop up...

I fear inertia here folks...

so am I right in thinking that officially, if TII want to upgrade that small stretch between Milltown & Ballindine that they have to plan for a 2+2 DC? that 2+2 is now the standard for upgrading the road... all well and good but what does that mean at the interface with villages? roundabout? narrowing to 1 lane? Can anyone shed some light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Tuam to Ballindine needs a full upgrade, I know they took a few bends out but it needs to be all done.

Tubbercurry to Collooney is dreadful.

The rest of the N17 is very good national primary road.

Claremorris Bypass is the most enjoyable single carriageway road to drive on. The M17 will make a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Tuam to Ballindine needs a full upgrade, I know they took a few bends out but it needs to be all done.

Tubbercurry to Collooney is dreadful.

The rest of the N17 is very good national primary road.

Claremorris Bypass is the most enjoyable single carriageway road to drive on. The M17 will make a massive difference

I dont agree with the Tuam to Ballindine upgrade, in an ideal world it would be great but would the money not be better spent on a bypass of Charlestown north to south. Theres a bigger bottle neck there than Milltown and Ballindine together, or else upgrade of the road from Curry to Collooney.

As you state the Claremorris bypass is a great road, would go as far as to say its a much better road than the N5 schemes that have been completed since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think Curry to Colooney should be the first to be done, seems a busier section of road than the N17 around Ballindine and Miltown

Any truth to the rumor that this road will be going ahead ?

Any truth to the rumor that this road will be going ahead ?

Unfortunately it won't be. Knock-Collooney is being prioritised on the N17

• Advertisement

Any published info Marno21?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Rightly so

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

Why are people so against upgrading this stretch from Tuam to Claremorris. It's a traffic joke at the moment when you leave the motorway at Tuam coming through Milltown & Ballindine. surely there would be greater connectivity for Mayo and Sligo people to Galway and beyond if this stretch was prioritised. I don't doubt that Knock to Collooney is also in dire need and should also be prioritised but why aren't Mayo crying out for both roads to be done and have motorway/high quality dual carraigway direct to the county

This isn't a fantastic stretch of road, and if the WRC Phase 2 reopening is confirmed as going ahead in the AIRR you can now add 4 level crossings to the stew

Such a pity a proper job wasn't done on this from Claremorris all the way to the M17

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thomas385

Agree Marno, am I correct in saying that there is an allowance for an overbridge across the railway alignment in the plans for the Ballindine stretch of this road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What exactly has happened on the Tuam bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Closed for emergency works. All traffic going through the town again. I want to know if a bridge fell down or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Local media

Galway CoCo say the M17 Bypass will be fully out of use until Friday 26 April. Traffic will be diverted through the town day and night during this period and motorists have been advised to give themselves additional time for journeys during the week. One social media user complained that the closure is "causing chaos" and that it took him "45 minutes to get from one side of town to the other".

Advertisement