Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

• 19-09-2021 7:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No title yet but Nolan has settled on his next project: a film about one of the fathers of the atomic bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer, which is expected to start shooting early next year. Following his falling out with Warner Bros over its day-and-date release strategy with HBO Max, Nolan has taken the project to Universal where he had made significant demands including a 100m production budget, 100m marketing budget, total creative control, 20 percent of first dollar gross, and a 100 day theatrical window. More info on this and the studios who competed for the film below:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/christopher-nolan-pitch-to-studios-including-apple-seeking-his-next-film-1235014132/

After a string of big blockbusters, this would seem to be (relatively) smaller scale film for Nolan, his smallest budget since The Prestige.

Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Will Cillian Murphy get a (the) job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

This has the potential to be an amazing film. Such and interesting subject matter in the hands of Nolan.......something in cinema to be genuinely excited about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$200 million for what ostensibly reads like a typical Hollywood biopic? Now that's clout. Where would $100 million even go on something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Be cool if they include the Oppenheimer speech that was used in the 2012 Godzilla teaser trailer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The production budget of 100m isn’t that much higher than what passes for mid-budget these days. A big name director with several big name stars would easily spend that much. Also this is Nolan - I doubt there will be anything typical about it.

Think there was a HBO movie made about Oppenheimer before, Murdoch played him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I was thinking specifically about the typical Hollywood biopic; like if Google is to believed, Respect, the biopic about Aretha Franklin, has a $55 million budget. That would have been my guess for how much these kinds of mid-tier, prestige grasping films budget for these days. Even Joker was a mere $40 million and in theory, it had access to the superhero slush-fund.

You're probably right about it being a Noland film it won't be typical - but then. The director is due a palette cleanser, and wouldn't be the first director to knock out a small-scale passion project based on the accumulated clout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was Fat Man and Little boy with Paul Newman

The BBC made a great series on him back in the early 80's.

There has been plenty of Manhattan Project movies and mini series made over the years as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A lot of prestige movies now days are indie films which get limited theatrical releases and rely on word of mouth from festivals. As biopics/Hollywood dramas go I think this will be more along the lines of The Aviator or anything Scorsese has done in the last 20 years, nearly all of which cost around 100 million to make, i.e. a film with aspirations to win awards and make money at the box office and featuring big name stars who want certain luxuries (the main one being time) while on set. Also, the way Hollywood accounting works you just can't spend more money on the marketing than on the production. If Nolan wants this to get a big theatrical release then he needs spend enough money to justify it.

• Advertisement

Title is officially "Oppenheimer". Cillian Murphy to star. Release has been set for July 2023.

The studio describes it as an “epic thriller that thrusts audiences into the pulse-pounding paradox of the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.”

Hoytema and Göransson are returning (no Zimmer)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cillian-murphy-christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-1235028622/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why do I feel tempted to (and sometimes do) rewatch that Oppenheimer clip each time I see it now?

I'm mostly curious where and how the movie makes a bunch of scientists fretting over their Inventions purpose an "epic thriller" but that's possibly just the marketing at work.

The real question in all this, so far unasked: given Christopher Nolan's love of shooting in-camera, practical FX - and knowing WB let him crash a real 747 jet for Tenet - will we see the same for this shoot? First Hollywood film to detonate an atomic bomb? 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Also the Germans and Poles have made "Adventures of a Mathmatician,"from the book.Quite critical of the US philosophical/military position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is a cracking - and long - read on the topic for anyone who's interested. 'American Prometheus', a bio of Oppenheimer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Delighted for Murphy, he's a great actor.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Emily Blunt in talks to join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

She's a class act and I really hope she comes onboard. Can't recall a bad movie she's been in.

• Advertisement

Robert Downey Jr. and Matt Damon have joined the cast.

Robert Downey Jr. in a Christopher Nolan film? That feels wrong somehow and I can't put my finger on why.

Without googling, I think this is his first role since the MCU? (cos I'm being kind and ignoring Dolittle!)

He has done more producing than acting so it is hard for him to distance himself from Tony Stark Iron Man, he is a good actor so looking forward to how he fairs in this

I enjoyed The Judge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Whenever there is a Nolan film on know Murphy will appear and when he was announced as cast in this I rolled my eyes - another minor role for him when he could lead any movie.

I just found out he is actually playing Oppenheimer !!!

I nearly threw myself out of this tax!!!

Finally the starting roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Abraham Thomas

So, another Christopher Nolan biographical drama. I only found out about this last week and am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Whoo. With Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr., Emily Blunt, and Matt Damon, this film has a promising cast. Phew.

Florence Pugh, Rami Malek and Benny Safdie have joined the ensemble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

200 mil...

...for a biopic?

Fuck me that's some money to be tossing around for something like that.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes though. The history of WWII is pretty close to my heart and it has always been a part of my life due to family involvement, but there's always been a tendency to back away from the stories of the people who were associated with the Manhattan project and present an overly simplistic view. Oppenheimer was a very complex figure who later came to feel a very tangible guilt over what he'd done and how it had impacted the world. Leo Szilard too (I wonder if he'll be mentioned).

Looking forward to this based on Nolan's track record. I know some don't rate him. But I've always been, at the very least, entertained despite my own criticisms of his stuff.

Dane DeHaan is the latest to be cast

Kenneth Branagh joins the cast.

First look at Cillian as Oppenheimer.

Oppenheimer himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Is that not Edward Norton in the bottom picture?

No it's J Robert Oppenheimer in New Jersey, 1947 © Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images.

Dear god you could cut yourself on Murphy's cheekbones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Potential release date of July 23. That a bit off the main 'Oscar course'? Cillian should be good odds to get a 'Best..' nod if flick is any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You'd expect him to get a nod if he puts in a good performance. I find it hilarious and worrying that there is a specific time that films should be released to increase their chances at Oscar success, if a film is worthy can it lose out due to bad memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

yes it has happened.

I don’t remember specifics but it came to attention that very worthy films were starting to get overlooked and films released closer to the Oscars were getting the nods.

I’m there is a lot about it online.

• Advertisement

Jason Clarke joins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Picked this up last week and haven't been able to put it down since.

Excellent read and sadly all the more relevant now as talks of nuclear weapons and their potential is on the news a bit more than usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Picked this up last week and haven't been able to put it down since.

it's a chunky book, your arms must be getting tired

James D'Arcy & Michael Angarano join the cast.

Nice to see a good all star cast.

Watched the Great Escape a few days ago and it had me thinking those WW2 movies did like having all star casts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

Great actor. Still underrated somehow. How many top actors can Nolan cast in one film? A lot it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was watching Memento the other and noticed that its David Julyan who did the score.

He also scored Following, Insomniac, and The Prestige, strange that Nolan stopped working well him as his scores were excellent.

The dialogue in Memento is crystal clear unlike Nolans more recent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I am looking forward to this ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Nolan loves his big spectacle scene: crashing an airplane (Tenet), Spitfires (Dunkirk), Flipping a truck (Dark Knight), corridor fight (Inception). I'm guessing the 200m budget is so he can detonate an atomic bomb somewhere. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Tenet was especially bad. In a very dense film you don't want to be second guessing the dialogue. I saw it in the cinema and it was EXTREMELY loud. Pointlessly loud. I thought some of the most effective bits of Dunkirk were the scenes in the Spitfires. Totally music-free. The awesome visuals complimented by the excellent sound (Hearing every creak and ping of the Spitfire body flexing and moving)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You jest but SOMETHING physical and full scale is going to go boom!

The scenes in the cockpit were great. The aerial sequences, as a whole though, left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

They weren't great and very sterile. Nolan's actual action direction can be a lite choppy at times and lacking energy, and this was a good example IMO. Dunkirk was a misfire for me overall, an experiment in narrative structure that held little appeal otherwise. And curiously sloppy for a modern flick (thinking of those glass apartments in the backdrop of various shots of apparent 1940 Dunkirque)

It was more the tactics employed that irked me with regard to the aerial scenes. The Luftwaffe pilots, especially, acted as if they were suicidal morons. A single Heinkel attacking shipping in an area rife with enemy aircraft is just ridiculous. Not only that, the Heinkel pilot goes around for a second attack even though there's Spitfires on his tail. That's just terrible stuff. Not only that but the Spitfires, themselves, were flying their sortie at a couple of thousand feet. That's a death trap. Whoever was the historical advisor on that movie was either ignored or just wasn't up to the job.

I know Nolan hates CGI, and that's fine, and he probably could only get his hands on a couple of Buchons and a single Spanish "Heinkel". But really, you can employ the odd camera trick to make a few planes look like a lot more. 'The Battle of Britain' managed that in 1969.

Although, over all, I quite liked the film and elsewhere Dunkirk's scenes were handled well, Velux windows aside 😁 . The scenes on the Mole and the "little armada" were done pretty good. But all of the sequences in the air were carried out quite badly and Tom Hardy's super RAF pilot was incredibly awful. Completely unnecessary heroics too that just took a couple of notches off the whole thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement