Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very good assessment. I knew nothing about the story of the atomic bomb. Never heard of Oppenheimer until this movie. And I was having to to pause it a few times to look up wiki to see what certain elements in the movie actually meant. And at times to put a face to a character that was mentioned. There are a lot of different character names thrown around.

But overall, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie. Just added another half hour to an already lengthy film.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also forgot to say I think the character of Jean was handled fairly poorly. She was only slightly less hollow than Mrs Oppenheimer, a character I think could have been left out completely.

The scene of the two of them sitting nude on the sofas was bizarre, like it was just an excuse to get a pair of tits on TV for a few mins. Not that I am in any way bothered about nudity but it just felt so obviously blunt, you can get across the point that he had an affair in a better way I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this is very funny

Christopher Nolan reveals Peloton instructor slammed movie Tenet during his class

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/christopher-nolan-peloton-slams-tenet-movie-b1130600.html

they found the video

https://twitter.com/JacobOller/status/1743020825182126310

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I watched the film at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had to put the sound through my 5.1 sound system to hear it properly, the downmixing of the 5.1 track on the tv was horrible, echoey and a mess.

It was the same with Tenet.

The sound thru the amp was fine though, I had to turn the subwoofer down a few decibels as it was causing stuff to rattle in the room but once that was done the audio was clear and the sound wasnt booming.

Nolan definitely needs to sort out his sound mix though, it should be clear on a normal tv, it shouldnt require the need for the viewer to tinker with settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Watched it over the Christmas: a really good copy, 40GB, 5.1 sound, 55" TV. Just after splashing out 2K on speakers and an AV receiver, so this was the acid test. Well all I can say was that I was blown away. Great film, I scored it 10/10, and the big screen and big sound was very immersive. Money well spent: you can't bring it with you, and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I watched the the blu ray of Oppenheimer with headphones on and it sounded fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it's because he shoots in IMAX and doesn't do post production sound recording.

That's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I finally got to see this myself yesterday. Because I've read the Richard Rhodes book and various other technical bits over the years, I could have used a lot more science than ended up in the movie e.g. the differences between the two bombs are fascinating, down to the fissile materials and how they were obtained. They only showed their basic principles, no more than that.

The post-war scenes were a little confusing, until it was made clear that they were about two different hearings, five years apart. The significance of Strauss' confirmation failure could have been emphasised a bit more: the Senate failing to ratify a Cabinet appointee has only happened eight times in the history of the USA, and didn't happen again for thirty years. Strauss' treatment of Oppenheimer came back to bite him, and it essentially ended his political career. (I didn't recognise Alden Ehrenreich as Strauss' snarky aide, the one who had zero sympathy at the news.)

There could have been more human interest stories from Los Alamos e.g. Richard Feynman was portrayed as a happy bongo-playing wiseass, the one who decided to watch the explosion from behind only a car windshield. Before that, though, Oppenheimer had helped him find a sanatorium for his wife, who was seriously ill with TB, and she died a month before the Trinity test. There was time for little side stories, like that, I thought.

PS: did anyone else notice Oppenheimer's hat in the final scene with Einstein? It's a sunny day, but it's raining on him: a callback to the raindrops in the very first shot.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

7 BAFTA wins for Oppenheimer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nice Orchestral rendition of some of the songs from the film I came across on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched this recently. CM will be a worthy winner of Best Actor at the Oscars, and it is definitely a much better film than Barbie!! But I don’t think I would sit through a 2nd viewing of it, as it’s a very long political film similar to JFK type of film. Killers of the Flower Moon is also very long but I would watch that again, it’s a better film.

Oh yeah, and I dunno why RDJ is gonna win Best Supporting. Ruffalo in Poor Things was way better, also De Niro was better.

Delighted for Cillian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Delighted for Nolan and his team. Great win for Cillian and RDJ. I wonder will they rerelease it in cinemas for a week or two with all the Oscar wins.

Also I'd say Warner Bros are sickened they pissed off Nolan and lost this release to Universal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

"After a string of big blockbusters, this would seem to be (relatively) smaller scale film for Nolan."

Always interesting to read opening posts with the benefit of hindsight...

Have yet to see this film? Is it worth it - I generally tend to be fairly uniformly disappointed by Oscar-winning films. What I mean, is it amazing film that fully deserves its Oscars hoard?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a good enough film that it deserves to be watched. Oscars are subjective, so whether or not it fully deserves its awards will depend on who you ask, and what their personal tastes lean towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

great q&a with nolan, murphy and rdj

think nolan has a crush on rdj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

if you enjoy Nolans films then likely you will enjoy it - if you dont then you may not.. its probably one of his more accessible films in terms of timelines/story telling etc..

Haven’t seen tenet or Dunkirk but I would rate his other films inception, interstellar, the 3 Batman’s, the Prestige, insomnia and memento all to be better than Oppenheimer.

Cillian won an IFTA and attended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Is the reason why this won so many oscars due to all other productions in the running being shite? Watched it few days ago and didnt think it was that good, but I dont see fusion inside the stars with my minds eye when staring at the ceiling at night, so maybe thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭laketreeroger

I didn’t think it was that great either. I think Chris Nolan was due a win, then the whole Opp vs Barbie fuss that happened during the summer had reinvigorated cinema-going around the world. Then with these awards when you start winning the momentum carries on to next event. I think KOTFM would have been a more worthy winner of Best Film and Director. But CM did deserve the Best Actor.

Advertisement