Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When I saw it in the pictures, the AR shifted and I saw it every time. On the Blu ray, it's not as noticeable.

Honestly, I just don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Would you be able to tell me a couple of the scenes where it happens?

I didn’t like DUNKIRK but curious to know if I didn’t notice it becasue I wasn’t enjoying it or because it is something I just wouldn’t notice.

I love my AirPods Max but lately I realised that after watching a movie that I have no me sort of anything that stands out about the ATMOS in the show or movie. Been meaning to look up scenes that showcase ATMOS to see if there something amiss with my settings or am I just distracted by the story, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can't remember specific examples in Dunkirk myself (was it done to differentiate the different timelines maybe?), but remember certain moments where he does the same thing in Interstellar. The spaceship launch is all in IMAX for instance.

I don't quite understand the push of ATMOS labelling outside an ATMOS theatre... like, I thought the point is that the theatre itself has 64 speakers positioned all around the space, each with their own specific dedicated sound mix, so there's incredible specificity to where each piece of sound is coming from around you. Gravity in an ATMOS theatre (my first time hearing ATMOS) is one of the coolest most immersive experiences I've had in a cinema I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I will have to check which cinemas near me have ATMOS.

I watched the chase scene in the prologue of NO TIME TO DIE earlier as it was a recommended scene.

The audio was great but I didn’t find it “immersive” and there wasn’t sounds from different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It mostly happens during the aerial scenes IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

World premiere in Paris yesterday. Critics almost universally wowed. Award noms incoming for Cillian it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Excellent, been looking forward to this for sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw an interview with Robert Downey Jr saying Cillian is Killing it 😁

Why is the IFI saying it’s unallocated seats for the 70mm screenings? Sounds like you have to get there early to get a good spot? Or is the screen really good and it doesn’t make much of a difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I booked tickets for opening weekend and got to choose seats.

Screen one in the IFI is absolutely fine in most seats, but the first 2-3 rows are far too close to the screen so you want to avoid them.

• Advertisement

Ha, yeh it seems to be just for the very first showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

There was a good interview with Cillian in the guardian at the weekend. As much as he detests interviews they are usually a great read.

They're complex characters those Cork boys!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/08/cillian-murphy-oppenheimer-christopher-nolan-florence-pugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Haven't watched this yet, but from a couple of Twitter clips this looks like a good interview with Nolan, Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr, Emily Blunt and Matt Damon. Half hour long...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Haven’t looked forward to going to the cinema so much since Dunkirk for the second time

Taking my son to this Friday lunchtime and from the reviews so far he will never forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Go see it in IMAX says Nolan except there aren't that many of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What a **** **** joke. Checked Odeon Limerick for screen times and it doesn't have a single showing on screen 1. Barbie gets those honours. You'd think they'd throw in a screen 1 showing every couple of days even but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there an IMAX in Dublin? , my default for big films is The Point

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Was going to ask this myself but it appears Cineworld have an Imax and 4Dx whatever that is :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cineworld has ‘fake IMAX’ - ie an IMAX branded digital screen. I think a few other multiplexes have them as well now. It is not the full, proper film-based IMAX experience you’ll be getting in somewhere line London or Manchester.

As previously mentioned, if you’re in Dublin, try for the film versions - ideally 70mm in IFI, or alternatively 35mm in Light House or IFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks, I memory from years ago was that Dublin didnt have one or was only a "fake" one, but saw an advert on a bus for the movie with IMAX in the ad

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, Odeon in Blanch has an "IMAX" screen but I assume it's the same story

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see Omniplex has a MAXX screen, looks to be about as good as I'll get.

Here’s the full official format guide which IMO breaks it all down very well:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The digital Imax in Cineworld is a decent option for Ireland. I've gone to London to see a few things in Imax there, and it doesn't compare obviously.

I had thought Lighthouse had it in 70mm too but I must have been confused. I'll have to go to the IFI so.

4DX has seats that move and vibrate, as smoke and mist sprays. It can be good, depending on the circumstances, and the movie you see.

Unless something changes in the future, IFI is the only 70mm capable cinema in Ireland. So, barring the unlikely event of a new one showing up somewhere, it’ll be the only option for any 70mm film, assuming they get a print (and there’ll be no option for 70mm IMAX, because we don’t have a proper IMAX screen on the island of Ireland).

Although just to note Palas cinema in Galway is also showing 35mm for anyone who wants to see it on film outside Dublin (haven’t heard of any other 35mm screenings anywhere else). With all cinemas though, makes sure to book the right version as most venues with film version are also showing digital versions (and IFI also has 35mm alongside 70mm).

The last 70mm film I saw was Dune in the IFI a few years back. I was really disappointed, mostly due to the quality of the 70mm print that was used.

Unfortunately repertory screenings of film prints will always be a bit of a crapshoot, as the prints will have been subject to wear and tear over the years. I often appreciate the imperfections of the old film print alongside the analogue colour, but no doubt some prints are better than others :)

On the plus side though the Oppenheimer prints will all be brand new so it’s a perfect chance to catch them before they’ve started accruing the scratches and imperfections that come with the territory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What are the chances of being able to hear the dialogue in this one?

Advertisement