Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Most of it is re Cavan football as they are discussing Mickey Graham, Mullinaghta & Cian Mackey. Dermot McCabe even gets a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Can you send me a PM with a link to this if available!

I got it via WhatsApp. It’s doing the rounds on it. I actually haven’t seen much mention of it online which was surprising - didn’t see anything on Twitter. The WhatsApp said it’s from a Longford live stream where they forgot to turn off the mics.

The We Are Cavan lads referenced it in a pod this week when Mickey Brennan & Damien Donohoe were laughing saying they were just checking the mics and it’s important to switch them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Big loss for Knockbride last night. Another year at junior when they have the players coming through and the squad to step up. It will be tough to get out of next year with Arva and Drumlane coming down.

One of tomorrow's senior semi finals is very difficult to call in my opinion. Kingscourt are always hard beat but I think Gowna will win that one.

The Gaels and Ramor is the hard one in my opinion. Everyone expected Ramor to beat McKiernan & Co last year but then the Terry Coyle lads blitzed them. Ramor won't be caught again so it'll be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well done Denn, thought it'd be a tighter game but over long b4 full time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭rrs

Gowna were impressive yesterday . They opened up the Kingscourt defence on numerous occasions. Conor Madden stepped up. The Brady brothers are very solid and strong runners,

Ramor v Gaels was very dogged. A brilliant goal by Sean McEvoy the difference. Gearoid McKiernan kicked some good scores but gaels a bit reliant on one player. Ramor used the subs well Maguire having a good impact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Gonna just ran Kingscourt into the ground, they have a lot of pace and power and always have a goal or two in them. If they bring their A game to the final i can’t see Ramor staying with them.

Couple of ex Cavan players in Co finals. Mackey with Mullinalaghta. Conor Bradley with Dunboyne. They play Wolfe Tones managed by ex Ramor manager Michael McDermott.

Sean McEvoy going back to the soccer when the Club season is over. I doubt he will be involved with Cavan next year.

https://www.impartialreporter.com/sport/19485984.ballinamallard-strengthen-squad-double-signing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Gowna are just a joy to watch. Strong running, loads of energy and really skillfull footballers all over the pitch. Their performance made Kingscourt look distinctly average. The first half of the other game was such dour stuff in contrast. The Gaels playing rope-a-dope against a breeze that had noticably died down could have cost them so badly. Ramor were far superior but only in with a 2 point lead at half time. Almost a tactical masterstroke from the Gaels springing the Murrays but a super comeback from Ramor.

They will have to up their performance considerably in the final. All things being equal, I'm going for Gowna. Denn for the Junior and Ballyhaise for intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Going to be a tough final to call tbh. Ramor with the experiance in the final, third in 5 years, beating the Gaels in a Championship knockout will bring plenty of confidence. Gowna on the other hand look so slick, full of running and a really hard working team. Gowna are the favourites but don't write off the Virginny men

• Advertisement

Dermot McCabe in the frame for the Longford job apparently.

How would that work with his current role as GDO?

. The Longford.Co.board and Cavan probaly have some agreement to let him combine roles. Either that or he's stepping back from his development role.

Why would it affect it at all? Sure all intercounty managers still have their full time jobs.

Going on the rumours out of Cavan camp, he might do more harm than good anyway!

Alot of stories have come out about him being nicknamed ''Bully'' by his team mates towards the end of his Cavan career. I've spoken to several ex intercounty players said they couldn't stand him. Rather than welcome new players, he would often ridicule them in front of the rest of the squad, telling them they were too small, too slow etc.

The recent criticism I've heard is that last year he was concerned mainly with the starting 15 and didn't have much time for anyone outside it.

You could argue he's been ''involved'' in all of those alright but you could also argue he hasn't been the main man for any and has piggybacked on the success of others. When he did step up to managing Cavan minors on his own, I don't remember much success. The Ulster team that he won the minor as co manager of had more work done with them at U16 than any other side previously following work by Nicholas Walsh and Mickey Graham.

I think the ousting of Liam Austin as manager back in 99 was led by McCabe.

Getting close to the season of goodwill (ha!) and all that. Has a DVD been made of last years Ulster run? Would make a fine present for a few people I know but I don’t remember seeing or hearing anything about it

Gowna won the Division 1 u15 Championship today. They have a lot of talent coming throug,h and should be a strong force for a good period if they stay committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭celt262

That was good going with a squad of 18.

They have a golden generation coming through now and will be at the top table for many years.

Fair play to Denn. Took the loss to Templeport well and kicked on and easily the best team in Junior this year. Drung battled hard and did extremely well to get to the final. Arva and Drumlane will make it interesting next year. Would hope that Shannon Gaels get players back and that Kildallan continue to improve to make it a far more competitive championship than this year.

• Advertisement

Was just listening to the We are Cavan podcast about the intermediate final.

Ballyhaise may as well not turn up and hand the trophy over to the Bridge this evening: Paul Fitzpatrick has just tipped Ballyhaise :)

That minor team had McVeety, Faulkner, Dillon, Smith and others. They were the best minor team we’d had in a long time &, as I already said, had a lot of work done with them at U16 level by Graham & Walsh.

The Cavan team that won Ulster had already achieved promotion to Division 1 twice before he became involved.

This Gowna team have been making county semi finals and the like for a few years now and have an exceptional bunch of players coming through. They haven’t won a championship yet though.

What individual success has he has as a manager where he was the main man?

I actually heard today off someone, totally unrelated to this, which is funny, that McCabe was thinking about throwing his hat in for the Cavan minors this year as they apparently have an exceptionally talented team! Word has it though that the Longford job is all but sewn up.

Of course being the GDO he will have access to a lot of info etc that we don’t. Makes it easy to spot something and “attach himself” as you put it.

They were a very good Minor team but I think the Minor team in 05 was more talanted, Mackey Flanagan, Cullivan, Ray Galligan ,

Down beat them after a replay and won the All Ireland. The team in 08 managed by Graham was very good also. Tyrone beat them by 2 and won the All Ireland.

It looked like Butlersbridge were going to run away with it and butchered a great goal scoring opportunity to go six or seven up but Ballyhaise have stormed back into it, Kevin Tierney having a great game apart from the goal miss, could he play for Cavan again??

He looks the part but probably a bit old now. He must be 30 now is he? I remember Mickey brought him in at the start of 2019 and even sent him to a McKenna Cup photo shoot but nothing ever came of it.

Fair play to Daragh McCarthy. I’d agree with posters on here who previously said it’s ridiculous he didn’t get the Cavan U20 job.

Tierney is in great shape. He looks more leaner now, was too bulked up a few years ago. But doubt he will play County football again.

Gret win for Butlersbridge. They started off really well and Ballyhaise came into. I don't think playing David Brady at centre back was a good move, Sean McCormick would have suited it more and freed up Brady at midfield

Darragh McCarthy had Crosserlough playing a great brand of football and he’s done a super job with Butlersbridge now. What will Bailieborough be thinking today, its funny how things turn out, every game is different.

A very enjoyable game, and some fabulous scores kicked. Fiontan O Reilly was fantastic and I have to agree with rrs (and probably most of the county), if you have a midfielder with such ability as David Brady has (and the form he has been in all season), why play him at centre half back? Ballyhaise had used Eoin Clarke there for a few games in the league and surely he would have been a better bet to free David up? Have to feel for Tierney. He was sublime (goal chance aside) and didn't deserve to be on the losing side. I was in the stand and there was a point he kicked that 100% curled in that the umpires flagged wide. There wasn't a single of his 6 points that was easy.

Credit to the Bridge, the did it the hard way and beat the three strongest sides in Intermediate and are deserving winners. I can't help feeling if McCarthy was on the line for Ballyhaise, they would be playing senior football next year. No way he would have his best player at centre half back!

I think last year was something similiar for Ballyhaise. They were playing Sean McCormack as a forward when their defence was wide open.

Butlersbidge opened up the Ballyhaise defence a couple of times but took the wrong decision . It was a very enjoyable game overall.

Butlersbridge at home to the Down champions in Ulster. Denn play the Antrim champions also in Breffni

• Advertisement

Ulster JFC

Preliminary Round (Saturday 20 / Sunday 21 November)

Sean McDermott's/Toome (Monaghan) v Cookstown/Eskra (Tyrone)

Quarter Finals (Saturday 27 / Sunday 28 November)

Denn (Cavan) v St Comgall's (Antrim)

Aghadrumsee/Donagh (Fermanagh) v Desertmartin (Derry)

Aughlisnafin/Dundrum (Down) v Letterkenny Gaels/Downings (Donegal)

Belleeks (Armagh) v Sean McDermott's/Toome/Cookstown/Eskra (Monaghan/Tyrone)

Ulster IFC

Preliminary Round (Saturday 20 / Sunday 21 November)

Cloughaneely/Dungloe (Donegal) v Greenlough/Steelstown (Derry)

Quarter Finals (Saturday 04 / Sunday 05 December)

Gortin/Owen Roes/Moortown (Tyrone) v Devenish/Belleek (Fermanagh)

Tir na nÓg (Antrim) v Carrickcruppen (Armagh)

Butlersbridge (Cavan) v An Riocht/Darragh Cross (Down)

Donaghmoyne/Emyvale/Aughnamullen (Monaghan) v Cloughaneely/Dungloe/Greenlough/Steelstown (Donegal/Derry)

Cookstown won the All Ireland Intermediate a few years ago. They are in the Junior final final in Tyrone

Advertisement