Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

Not made it to anywhere other than the hotel just yet. Traveling didn't leave me feeling great so it was straight to the hotel for a lie down and a lot of painkillers 😣 Could barely manage walking from the station to the cab, so a wander around the shops this afternoon was off the cards altogether.

Not in the surgeon's until 1.30 tmrw, so I'm planning on having a stroll around Queens arcade and over to P&P before heading for the consult and depending what time I get out I may have some time to kill before the train back down too 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭ Blanchy90

The father in law gave me this today, be thinks it's ww2 British military but doesn't have any other details.

It's not currently working so I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can do. Either way it's a pretty cool piece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

Well it's got the broadarrow stamp on the back so defo British military issue and around WW2 alright. These usually have a Lemania movement in them IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭ micks_address

Do you not worry about them getting lost/stolen on holiday? how would insurance work out if they were?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭ scwazrh

If one goes missing I don’t think there would be any issue with the insurance, if they all go missing I’m sure insurance would put up a fight. I’m in Tenerife and know the area I’m in very well , I’ve been a few times a year for the last 15 years so feel comfortable and obviously a good safe in the apartment.

There is a serious amount of Rolex been worn here. Went to a quite restaurant for lunch today and had my sub on , I counted 3 other subs , a hulk and a James Cameron.I wasn’t close enough to see if they were all real or not but they all had the Rolex glare and sparkle so would guess they are.

Ive had a couple of comments on my Panerai while here as well so watches do seem to be noticed and more prominent at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

As long as the watch is specifically mentioned with its value (official valuation or receipt) on your home insurance and is covered all risks, it is covered all risks. So it gets stolen on holiday abroad or falls off your wrist while swimming in the sea, it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭ VW 1

I brought my gshock (G7900A) to a jewelers for a replacement battery this morning. They quoted me 75 euro as they'd have to send directly to Casio as it has to be resealed. Is this normal? The watch is 9 years old, so makes more sense to replace for 75 euro than pay 75 to get a battery. Is this normal for gshock?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 57,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

€75 for a manufacturer replacement of the battery and a reseal (with receipt - this comes with an implied warranty) is a bargain 😂

But yeah if you don't want to spend that, go to your local jeweller, they will do it a good bit cheaper. Or just replace the battery yourself but don't go swimming with it any more. Or - hate to say it - if the watch is really cheap, just feck it out or give it away for free and buy another one.

• Advertisement

Interesting, thanks both. I'll order the battery and do it myself so. I don't generally swim, nor do I shower with a watch on, so the pressure test is relatively redundant anyway. Have had the watch 9 years and was the first birthday present I received from my now wife, so wouldn't want to chuck it for sentimental reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭ Cyclingtourist

New video by Adrian at Bark & Jack. I watched it and thought it was not the normal fare. Kind of wide screen hi-definition and then there's the content. Adrian inviting some guy into what looks like his country home for coffee and to tell him about his fascination with cool watches.

It's apparently some kind of promo for Ebay and their watch 'authenticity' service.

Favourite watches in my collection + new purchase - YouTube

Personally I find his videos rather boring and lacking in entertainment value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

Yeah. I'd say the service is almost entirely aimed at current and recent models from Omega and Rolex, especially the latter to weed out the fakes and to keep confidence in the market. The vintage realm is far too deep a dive for such a service. Any such service would need a suite of experts and even then dodgy ones would get through. Plus outside of outlets like hodinkee that market is currently stagnant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I took delivery of a letter on the 23rd about a customs charge on some Barton straps I ordered, letting me know I needed to make payment or the item would be returned to sender. The straps arrived this morning, is the customs charge a mandatory thing, or just something you need to pay to get an item released? Ie, do customs follow up for payment regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭ banie01

I don't know, it is supposed to be mandatory and items not released until charges paid. That said, I have heard of lots of stuff generating the charge but being delivered without payment.

On a related note, I have an order from Amazon.de that was shipped from India, but! Which was charged VAT at the Irish rate of 23% and it's showing on the tracker as held by customs for a charge. Nothing has dropped for me just yet tho and when it does I'll fire on the VAT paid invoice.

It would seem everything with remotely incomplete or suspect declaration paperwork is being held and generating a charge or a Return to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭ Blanchy90

Depends who delivered it, An Post are supposed to charge before they give it to you but Fedex pay it and send you a bill a few weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭ OmegaGene

It’s not just newer models, they are checking everything over a certain value even tag, off the top of my head I think the value is £2k

they first rolled it out in the states and now it’s mandatory for U.K. business sellers which is no bad thing.

btw they also have experts checking trainers because of the value in them lately

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/authenticity-guarantee-watches/

Oh sure OG, but it's going to be almost entirely aimed at the "I don't want to get stung by a snide Rolex" in the current market. That's where the market focus is. Now TAG are being faked alright, but the biggest fake market by far is Rolex and the fakers are getting better at it. Without such authenticity services the dealers know that market confidence could be a problem.

Just up the page Swarzrh on holliers(lucky bastid😁) said this: There is a serious amount of Rolex been worn here. Went to a quite restaurant for lunch today and had my sub on , I counted 3 other subs , a hulk and a James Cameron.I wasn’t close enough to see if they were all real or not but they all had the Rolex glare and sparkle so would guess they are.

"Rolex" and "fake" have become synonymous in the wider public's mind until proven otherwise. Given the cray cray price increases of late in what is an artificial market high mostly driven by dealers and flippers that association is one of the bigger threats to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭ OmegaGene

It’s being implemented as compulsory for registered business sellers as a way of pushing eBay as a trusted option for high end items, seems to be working in the states but it’s early days for the U.K.

I was surprised they had qualified/experienced people that would spot a good fake or spurious parts, i know someone that bought a vintage rolex and the glass had been replaced and dial changed and they phoned the buyer to see if he was happy

Vintage is a complete minefield OG. I'd bet the farm their expertise in that area is not much above covering their own arses. When the Antiques Roadshow and their team of backroom experts can come out with howlers around vintage watches it's a problem. The list of frankens and even outright fakes that have passed through august auction houses* and top line dealers is a long one and those examples would be well known models for the most part. Go to speciality vintage forums and a topic like "how to spot a fake [insert model here] could run to a dozen pages and some grey areas. Plus you can have perfectly fine examples that because of age would have had crystals replaced(fine), dials replaced(not so fine). I would reckon that other than fashion and the market cycle changing one of the biggest reasons the vintage market is more stagnant of late is down to lack of consumer confidence.

*I would never buy a watch through an auction house speciality sale. That sales avenue is about the least protected for the consumer and is full of dodgy dealings. You've significantly more comeback as a buyer buying off ebay from a complete stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul

Ordered 2 pairs of generic 20mm end links from a UK place, which, with postage, came to a total of €24.42

Curiously, An Post delivered it alongside a "customs" charge. The charge was actually VAT at €5.61, and An Post admin fee of €3.50.

Now, all the info on this is about how your item won't be delivered if you don't pay the fee etc, and yet they both came through the letter box at the same time.

Also, it's a bit **** rich charging €3.50 to collect a fiver in VAT, when it is done online via card. That should be a maximum transaction fee of 50 cents.

Gouging feckers! It's almost as if they don't want us trading with the UK anymore.

Quartz Crisis? What crisis, it was a f€cken revolution.

Top left is the Steinhart automatic (€480) just out of the watch winder and it's an hour + a couple of minutes fast. Top right is a Citizen Eco-Drive (€98) that was lying in a watch box for 6 months and needed an hour or two on the windowsill and resetting. Bottom left is a Casio Wave Ceptor (€80) that shows the perfect time/day/date without any human intervention and bottom right is the Hamilton Khaki Field (€300) that needs hand-winding twice a week and only shows the correct time because I reset it using the watch to its left.

Quartz is great, low maintenance, lower priced, more accurate, can be adapted to show atomic time..........

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Roycropper63

ct i share the casio and citizen. nice to have as part of my small collection.

Both fantastic watches, a perfect field watch and an atomic timepiece perpetual calendar that's got a light for viewing the time in the middle of the night.

Anyone on a tight budget would be doing well buying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus

That's a link to all 457 VC Overseas. Which one is yours? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭ hitemfrank

In the app it opens to his one for me.

Advertisement