Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Pronation is a natural occurring part of the gait cycle and In order to qualify that you "over pronate' you would need to have a baseline of what normal pronation is, and to that end there is no such baseline.

The next thing is shoe manufacturers and shops would have you believe that pronation is a bad thing, (it's not) and by extension that it is responsible for a whole host of injuries. There's on evidence of this.

Putting a medial post in a shoe may or may not prevent some movement at the foot, but we would then need to consider that we are asymmetric and not pronate on one side more than the other, and doesn't take into account that there can be as much as 10% difference in the density of the foam between right and left shoes.

This is even before we delve into why there's is excess pronation in the 1st place, things like external rotation of the tibial bone, ankle rocker dysfunction etc.. A whole othe minefield altogether.

All that been being said, if you're wearing a particular type of shoes and find the comfortable and aren't picking up niggles, then stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Cost isn’t my major issue here - just don’t think I’d be get the same feeling on satisfaction at this point if I got Vaporflys. I’m not against them at some point in the future but I feel like it would be a short cut at this point as I’ve been gradually moving towards the time I want anyway.

Interesting point Ceepo re pronation as I was just thinking the other day I’ve been buying these shoes for years based on what some lad in Lifestyle told me 7/8 years ago. I’ve had calf niggles over the last year but don’t know if that is down to training overload or the wrong shoes. Although I need a quick 10k barefoot on the beach one day and was very sore for days after so perhaps that tells me I do rely on support from shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Personally I'd recommend NB Fuelcell TC (even the Fuelcell Rebel v2 are a decent all rounder and certainly faster than Gel Kayano) . Also recommend Saucony Endorphin Speed. Both the TC and Endorphin Speeds are widely popular...both have plates though. There are other non plated shoes you could go for but why bother!? If cost isn't an issue then the TC or endorphins are well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

It's important to remember that the cause of injury's can be multifactorial. But there has never been a shoe that prevents injury.

While I'm an advocate for some barefoot running, doing 10k of the bat wouldn't be recommended ;), especially coming from such a high heal to toe drop trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can anyone recommend a good app for beginners. I've downloaded the coach to 5 k and have completed that. Now I just want to carry on casually and log and track my runs in an attempt to just compete with myself and try and better my times. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Strava would be the most popular, doesn't give plans but a way to log runs. Social aspect too as your followers can see ur runs, give kudos and post comments. Can be good motivation for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Thinking about it more and might be tempted to get the carbon plated shoes for racing - can you suggest some the value options?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

Is it preferable to pace using Miles rather than Kilometres even when working on a kilometer event? I presume miles give you a slightly more even pace as it is over a longer distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

I can’t see the logic about running in miles. Embrace the metric system people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Use the same metric you are using in training, otherwise you will just confuse yourself.

debatable..theres a lot to be said for being proficient in both...Generally I work in miles but I ain't running 7 x 0.62miles in training. I'm running 7 x 1k. Id work miles in easy and long runs. Id race a 5k and 10k in kms. Mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

You do realise that pace = speed. Whether a given speed is expressed in kilometre per hour, miler per hour, minutes per kilometre, minutes per mile, or seconds for X hundred meters, matters not one jot. It is still the same given speed.

Next time someone takes you for a ride in a car have a look at how the speedometer changes. If it is in KmH you don't have to wait for each kilometre to pass to see the change in speed (pace). Similarly, if it is measured in MpH. Pace doesn't have to be measured over the distance of the units being used to express it. Sprinters would never know their speed in standard units if that was necessary. So the concept of "giving a slightly more even pace as it is over a longer distance" doesn't make sense in reality.

Running longer distances does not infer more even pacing. Using bigger units to express pace does not lead to more even pacing.

Recently got Jack Daniels book and think I understand his training philosophy and want to start with one of his plans tomorrow.

However maybe I'm just a bit dense but how do I program something like marathon pace into my Garmin for example for easy runs he gives a pace range to follow for example easy running 7:00 to 7:51

But for the other intensities there is no range given witch you need in order to program it into a Garmin watch.

Using the above example I presume my marathon pace would range from 6:42 down to 6:03 with the aim of keeping it around the 6:42 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

You can just create a workout in Garmin connect and under the intensity select pace with the target being in or around your range. You can even have it beep at you if you go outside the range.

Allow for a minimum of 20 secs variance or it will drive you bonkers buzzing at you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Also, not being smart here, but have another read of the book - threshold pace (the 6:03 you mentioned) is not within the range of a typical marathon pace run. It’s a completely different workout - much more difficult than marathon pace. Good luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Not picking on anyone in particular and I'm not having a go but some of the recent questions on this thread really made me realise just how much people overthink running and take it a bit too seriously. It's a very, very simple sport, train within your abilities, do some races, keep showing up and enjoy it. We're not professionals so why do so many focus on complexity and the 1%'ers before even getting the basics right - consistency and hard work. If folks really want to get serious, then join a club and train with people better than you as that's where you really start improving and seeing the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

I wouldn't fully agree with this. Why do people always think they need to train harder to get better. Sometimes they need to train smarter.

I constantly see/hear about people saying nothing beats getting the miles in, or pushing yourself harder in speed sessions.

Yet these same people are running with very poor form, weak core, never think about doing drills or any other type of training other than go out and run.

Even within clubs the mentality is often to push yourself harder, increase mileage.

I see this all the time, a person slips off a small bit in there times and straight away it's, I'm not being pushed hard enough, I need to train with a faster group.

Why not introduce some drills into your warm up. Something that might improve your economics of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Could you give an example of some drills please?

Joe, I see where you're coming from but I'm not talking about training harder. I said consistency and hard work are the basic elements of improvement and focussing about the intricate detail of training should be way down on the priority list. Training smart is assumed, everyone knows they should train smart but unfortunately a lot just don't don't know how to.

Kind of off the point but from my personal experience and witnessing improvements of others, nothing does beat getting in the miles in. You're training to run long distances and building your aerobic capacity, it makes sense. Where people go wrong is the intensity and volume of their miles. It takes years for most people to be able to run consistent 70-80 mile weeks yet I see some thinking they should be running 80 mile weeks and sure enough they get injured. That's been me. That's not due to a lack of drills or cross training, it's an error of judgement and lack of experience. Eventually, through running consistently you will build strength and resilience. For those weak people with poor form you talk about, I could similarly show you a lot of very high calibre runners who don't do drills or gym work but just focus their energies on the basics. They're training to run, so they run. The differences is that these people know their limits, they train so they can train tomorrow. They train within their limits. They don't obsess over diet and they don't worry about ground contact time, cadence heart rate, Vo2 max, the killer session etc. Bizarrely enough, I think it's the elites who focus less on all this stuff and it's the amateur runner that focuses more on it.

I don't agree with your claim that within clubs the mentality is often to push yourself harder and increase mileage. It may be the case in some clubs but the opposite is true in my club where we're drilled to relax in workouts, recover between hard days and the absolute priority is not getting injured. Hard work is a given if you want to improve but harder is not always better. Nobody is saying you should finish a workout on your back, that's not good training. Caution is exercised by our coach, who himself is a former olympian but knows himself knows how simple running should be but at the end of the day it's all about the individual having personal responsibility and honestly assessing their ability. By the way, we are a fairly successful distance running club by national standards and we do not do drills as part of our warm up or otherwise. I'm not saying they don't have their place, they do but more so for the explosive track events. I myself do weekly core and mobility work on areas I feel are weak but for the most part when it comes to distance running, just run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Thanks jebuz, a fairly detailed reply and I tip my hat to your superior knowledge.

I just constantly see people running poorly saying they need to up their mileage. When they clearly need to cut back as they are not running correctly as is.

I'd agree a lot us to do with caution when increasing mileage.

Superior knowledge? doubtful, just my opinion formed over the years and through my own observations and failings. I also see the same poor running styles and an unwillingness to compromise on mileage but like all walks of life, some people are just resistant to any sort of common sense or taking on advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Seems kinda logical if you are running a 10 mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I switched to kms for marathon training this year. All previous done in miles and found the kms better all round. Ill be sticking with the kms.

It makes no difference. I’ve found it useful to be comfortable with both systems, not for training purposes but for being able to understand runners of both persuasions. To misquote Father Ted, it’s an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

For people who like to distract themselves whilst running a combination of both measuring systems is essential....I spend my runs unnecessarily mentally calculating various different arbitrary paces and targets in both systems :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Can someone recommend a good ultramarathon in Ireland for beginners? Approx 50k or as close as possible! I’ve done a couple of marathons and want to go a bit further. I think I’d be around 5 hours+ for 50k.

The only one I’ve done is Donadea and it’s probably the best place to start. 2022 is sold out but worth planning for 2023. It’s a pretty friendly event. There’s supposed to be a five hour cutoff but it doesn’t seem to be applied too rigorously, and there are always plenty of runners around that time and beyond. Lapped course makes nutrition, gels, drinks etc. easy to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

There's no 50km in Ireland I wouldn't recommend for someone stepping up from marathons. The bigger question for you is whether you want to move to trails as well (and I can only recommend that you give trail/mountain running a go ASAP.... most people regret not starting sooner once they try their first one). Most 50kms in Ireland are trail races. IMRA organise a few, including Ireland's oldest ultra, the Maurice Mullins Ultra. If you do give trail running a go even sticking to the same distance will be a bigger effort than the flat/road equivalent. THe Donadea 50km is another obvious one to try, but I think that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm glad it's not just me. I wouldn't get through marathon training without spending oodles of time on long runs playing with the numbers in my head.

Advertisement