Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman seriously injured after being struck in face by firework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The sheer volume of fireworks in the city this year is staggering. I've heard them all over the city on a regular basis since early September and nightly all this month.

The Gardai need to seriously clamp down on the supply of these things. It's an open secret who has them and where to buy. Seize, destroy and prison sentences with heavy fines for those caught supplying them. And heavy fines with those caught in possession.

I hope that young woman makes a full recovery and the offender treated harshly in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Her injury is described as life changing. A full recovery won’t happen. A part of me thinks shariah would be appropriate when the cnut is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Absoulately horrific to hear this a young girl waiting for a bus has life changing face injuries, her attacker has to be caught I'm sure they they could be charged with attempted murder and the book thrown at the scum who done this, thoughts and prayers for her.

Not at all surprised.

Eyre Sq, and the top of shop street are an unabated free for all nightly.

Only a few days before that people damaged the crane that was sitting there and not a sight of a guard while the crowd gathered around filming it.

I look at the Snapchat feed daily and people are climbing on top of the tourist office and just doing whatever they feel like.

In none of the videos is there ever a sight of the guards.

I'm not one for criticising them in general, but preventative policing is just not a policy in Ireland.

In places like Amsterdam, the cops sit around the busy places until the early hours, in Galway they cant even maintain a presence in the main square despite the anti social behaviour going on for months.

Similar stories from Dublin with regards fights etc so it's a national problem.

Others may also have seen the fight outside Coilis during the week with the homeless which resulted in a KO... all within sight of the station yet the whole thing played out without any intervention.

I emailed a Councillor about Eyre Sq a few months back and told him someone would get seriously hurt up there(fights were popping up on Snapchat as well which were going on as long as they felt like fighting) and sadly its came to pass.

Makes me so angry, I fail to see how the Guards couldn't maintain a presence and start clearing the crowds before they build and seizing drink(most wouldn't hang around without it) it may be too hard to stop once it sets in but 300 doesnt get to that number without a manageable number to start.

I see Garda Curley was saying in the Tribune today he'd need 5 more guards to manage it.... sorry Curley but if ye cant maintain order in the main part of a small town the Gardai arent fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

They need 5 more officers.

Maybe if they hadn't spent millions on a lush administration building on the Dublin Rd, they'd afford an extra 5 uniformed officers for the beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Blaming the Gardai trying their best with terrible staffing resources isn't the way forward. Blame Government for imposing a lengthy recruitment freeze and not making smart investments.

It's the same story at Galway County Council these days. No money for roads. No money for staff. Huge backlog of all kinds of applications, zero planning enforcement, etc. Meanwhile Mayo gets something like 50-60% more funding per capita. Why? No-one seems to know nor have I ever seen an actual credible response given the infinite times it gets raised in the Dáil with various Ministers.

It's bad management at the very top.

It'd be like blaming nurses for overcrowding at A&E. Irish Government's have historically had an utterly ridiculous lack of forward planning, everything was purely done based on election cycles and kicking cans down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Garda at Mill St and Murrough have live cctv feed from Eyre Sq from the cameras there. (very old photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. There was absolutely no need for that badly constructed building.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Myself my wife and child walked by scum the outer day out near terryland that spat out near in front of my baby in his buggy… we were in middle of call to someone on loudspeaker while baby was sleeping …. I didn’t want to wake baby so I threw them a sight look and they went to pretend that they sorry as if they weren’t aware I was there … we stayed waking and afew secs later fireworks shot Up and banged right behind us … I wanted to go back and smash them up but wife wouldn’t let me.. sorry now.. wouldn’t be surprised if they the same lowlife scum… small scrawny dickless scum…

Everything gilberto_eire said . Guards can be all over the roads in Galway doing lads for minor road offences… go down to mill street or the other Garda stations and see the fine fleet of cars parked up.. lots of cops yet never see any of them in the main area of Galway city .:: never mantain a presence there … a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Badly constructed? Has it started to crumble and fall apart?

There's a world of difference in resource requirements when comparing a checkpoint (1-2 Garda is typically sufficient) versus a location with several hundred scuttered morons feeling invincible through inebriation.

If you want a Garda presence at the second than its either very substantial or nothing at all as too little would result in the Garda being targeted.

It's no different than in a nightclub. 1-2 on the door, but a lot more inside and if trouble kicks off there has to be enough to swarm and outnumber the troublemakers.

it’s just sickening to see the crap that’s going unpunished at moment … in fairness to the guards I suppose they’re probably sick to the teeth of watching the same scumbags get free legal aid and get away time and time again with their hard upbringing stories

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I know! There's even an Eircom 07/09 area code telephone book (remember those?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

He aimed the firework at the bus stop and zero fücks given afterwards. God, the poor woman. I hope they go heavy with that piece of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not sure how a few gardai are supposed to control a few thousand people in Eyre Square. You'd need a change in the public order act and a zero tolerance policy towards anyone being in Eyre Square after a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Then go back and capture one of them and beat them up

That’s what people have to do if their family are threatened

We have no police in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

They need only police the law breakers, they seem to believe they can police hundreds of thousands of law abiding people

Just like a normal police forc

We need to stop making excuses for them

They not incompetent, they are cowards

Slight tangent, but I saw a video today of some lad swinging a knife in the city some night this week.

Things are definitely starting to get out of hand. Attention needs to be brought to these issues immediately.

Not making any excuses, but I think the way pubs are running during the pandemic is playing a part.

Pre-pandemic the bouncers would stop trouble makers from getting into pubs/clubs, and they'd generally leave town. Now, they all just congregate in Eyre Square. Shops and Off licenses aren't getting into trouble if they serve drunk people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

This is what happens when you have a non functioning justice and law and order system. It ain't getting better either.

the wife stopped me… I would have bet the shite out of them otherwise ….I’m not a thug but when it comes to my baby … anyone that puts his health in jeopardy is going to get their teeth kicked in

Im not going to excuse that ****er in any way but you can tell from that video he didnt flat out aim it at the bus stop. It hits off the ground and richochets over.

Despite that he's still fully culpable, the same way someone driving dangerously who kills someone is too.

Just an observation as you might have thought it was aimed directly at the bus stop.

As an aside, amazingly theres no more videos of Eyre Sq on Snapchat, it's almost like some sort of enforcement has magically taken place since.

The best case scenario for that girl is that hes a "normal" person and turns up with compensation if hes caught, as the sentence he'll get otherwise won't amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

Christ, we are plagued with so many hicks in this country.

At the very end, was that the actual firework that injured that young woman?

Definitely was, you can see her kind of fall back as the video ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

She lost her eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah you can tell he doesn't even know that someone has been hurt, he continues on oblivious. It is exactly like you say though, analogous to drunk driving, entirely foreseeable that someone could be very seriously injured or killed somewhere in his orbit and there is no way to excuse the behaviour.

Surprising that there's been no arrest already, he looks very identifiable to anyone who'd know him.

Sad too that no one around him looks even surprised by what is happening or tells him to stop because he's putting everyone in danger.

Makes me glad my days of hanging around public places are done!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea, he shot it down onto the ground and across to where she was at. Wasn't deliberate, so plain stupidity, but in the eyes of the law it shouldn't matter, but in good olde Ireland it seems to matter, come to court with a 50 for the charity box and you walk. Only in Ireland can you bring bribes to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Apparently there was some dickhead running around Westport with one of those guns at the weekend as well. The doorstaff from one of the pubs had to run over and disarm him. Don't know if guards were called.

Advertisement