Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman seriously injured after being struck in face by firework

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Likely two outcomes:

Poor background: Hard upbringing sob story. Gets off with light tap on wrist.

Middle class background: Whole life ahead of him. Will affect his studies. Comes from a "good family". Suspended sentence.

The fact that he didn't come forward promptly won't help his case though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

He's probably traumatised, the poor lamb.

Any visitor to the city last night, would have mistaken it for downtown Kabul. It was a constant barrage from early evening till midnight. God help anyone elderly or with young children or pets. It must've been a god awful night

Whether it's legislation or manpower, or whatever, something serious has to be done before next year to curb their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've two young kids, they were fine. Brought the 3 year old to look at some from a distance, he was fascinated and loved the colours.

If they were in that bus shelter they might not have been 'fine' afterwards.

There's no excuse for people buying what is in effect explosives and putting on their own unplanned uncontrolled show. Many of these are made outside of the EU with minimal quality control.

If you had a bunch of ammo rounds at home the bomb squad would tear around to your house and take them off you, but it's somehow ok for a private citizen to walk around the middle of a city unchallenged and leave these things off. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Can't understand why people with illegal fireworks or their parents can't be fined a large amount of money. In line with the cost of policing this and paying for medical treatments etc.

Also the traders selling them. If online the company dealing them.

If people think they should be legal then let them discuss the issue with people who's faces have been disfigured or who have been blinded by these.

I think they should attend the surgeries and the after treatments. Go on the waiting lists. Pay for the psychiatrists. Talk to the person about how future jobs interviews will be extremely distressing for them, how any relationship will be so difficult.

Really, I think the after effects of violence is never covered by the media. RTE peddeling their latest gritty crime series like it was some kind of laugh or something that is "normal" or acceptable.

I think violence and anti social behaviour was ok if it was "up there in Dublin". Now it's spreading everywhere and people are shocked. People think they can keep moving away to the rural town or the country side or the wealthy areas or emigrate.

Then they realise their kids can't do the same.

Think there will have to be regular country wide marches to say it's not ok. Kind of like the March into Light reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Marches lol

The traders here are fly by night operators. Online sellers based outside the EU? Good luck pursuing those guys.

Why is marching against anti social behaviour and violence and demanding real action funny ?

• Advertisement

I was specifically replying to a poster worries about "anyone with kids". Showing that you don't have to make it a frightening experience for them when there are loud noises nearby.

I don't think anyones disagreeing with most of the rest of what you've said. These things should absolutely be clamped down in, hard. Especially given who is likely profiting the most from it, the very ones contributing the least societally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If..... IF they get someone into court.

Nearly 2 weeks now and has anyone been arrested?

He knows what he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Delighted to see the gofundme goal has been surpassed. Fair play to people supporting.

A mod can add the link in the OP if they want. (cannot edit)

BTB

https://www.gofundme.com/f/eyre-square-firework-incident-support-our-girl/

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Still no word on an arrest? The little **** most of done a runner

Post edited by Tilikum17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Released without charge and a file sent to the DPP according to the Irish Times.

If he turns up in court with compensation he won't receive a sentence, he'll get a suspended sentence. Consistently happens in assault cases.

Thats justice in Ireland, when the service is overcrowded thats the reality.

What should happen in a perfect world, is that he faces a few years either way and the compensation might warrant a minor reduction.

Edit: Actually the GoFundMe has created a unique situation here, where his paltry compensation wont come close to that, be interesting to see if she refuses the compensation and asks for a sentence what happens. It rarely happens in these cases. Also given the fact you could give someone two years and they could be discharged on Temporary Release its not a route I'd go down(not even getting into suspended portions of a sentence).

Would it not be be a more serious charge than simply assault. Use of a deadly weapon would surely come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Appeared to be a tube that launched projectiles (fireworks). More than one joule, possession of a firearm, possession of explosives, I'd say there's plenty of possible charges besides assault causing harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Given the severity of the injuries and the brazen nature of launching illegal fireworks in a busy urban environment, the huge national attention drawn to the incident, and the efforts Gardaí had to go to, to get him, I would be surprised if he escapes with a suspended sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE

just a reminder going forward

This is an ongoing case so just incase this does go to court please keep to the facts of the case

Holy crap, mod sighting!!

Welcome back @connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Man to plead guilty over Eyre Square firework that caused life-changing injuries.

A Dublin man will be sentenced at the Circuit Court for causing life-changing injuries to a young woman after hitting her with a firework in Eyre Square.

Alex Byrne (23) appeared before Galway District Court this week in relation to an incident where a 19-year-old girl was serious injured after being hit by a firework while sitting at a bus stop.

The court heard that the DPP has consented to the case going forward to the Circuit Court on a signed plea of guilty.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Sentence passed down

Judge O'Callaghan that Mr Byrne had not intended to cause harm but that his actions were as a result of gross criminal recklessness and warranted a custodial sentence.

He said where there is harm caused there has to be punishment. He sentenced Mr Byrne to two years and nine months in prison, with the final 15 months suspended.

RTE news : Man jailed for igniting firework which hit woman's face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

Fair sentence, deeply remorseful and from a respectable background and very unlikely to offend again.

But a stern message that recklessly pointing a firework at other people will result in a custodial sentence, and properly so.

Everyone should be entitled to go about their business without fear or hindrance, it's a wonder that those who are caught infringing upon this right more regularly aren't punished more severely.

Your definition of fair varies wildly from mine. 18 months. Possibly out in less than a year

And I don't care how remorseful he is or how respectable his background is. He injured another human and left her with injuries that will last the whole of her life. That's worth a lot more than 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Well they are no longer respectable now for a decade or two because of his reckless actions. He got away lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I can't see what a long custodial sentence would accomplish here, a hugely unfortunate accident easily avoided but not intentional either, a fair sentence all things considered

What has this sentence shown? I can do anything to anyone, bar murder and I'll be out on the street in a matter of months.

Had he let it off in a field and it hit himself. That would be an unfortunate accident. Letting off a firework in a crowded setting is wreckless in the extreme. That young woman has a permanent disability that will affect every day of her life. EVERY DAY. He'll be out in one year. 18 months max.

Is that a fair trade? Would you make it? Would you make it on behalf of one of your family?

I swear to God, the flippancy with which some people in this country treat the lives of others is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

Nice to see the scumbag got a custodial sentence, although the woman was still failed by the justice system in that the guards should have been out policing the streets and preventing idiots like him throwing fireworks around, but I guess that's expecting too much.

Hope the woman is doing okay these days.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Advertisement