Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Woman seriously injured after being struck in face by firework

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭ Homelander

Blaming the Gardai trying their best with terrible staffing resources isn't the way forward. Blame Government for imposing a lengthy recruitment freeze and not making smart investments.

It's the same story at Galway County Council these days. No money for roads. No money for staff. Huge backlog of all kinds of applications, zero planning enforcement, etc. Meanwhile Mayo gets something like 50-60% more funding per capita. Why? No-one seems to know nor have I ever seen an actual credible response given the infinite times it gets raised in the Dáil with various Ministers.

It's bad management at the very top.

It'd be like blaming nurses for overcrowding at A&E. Irish Government's have historically had an utterly ridiculous lack of forward planning, everything was purely done based on election cycles and kicking cans down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,268 ✭✭✭✭ zell12

Garda at Mill St and Murrough have live cctv feed from Eyre Sq from the cameras there. (very old photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭ Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. There was absolutely no need for that badly constructed building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭ LillySV

Myself my wife and child walked by scum the outer day out near terryland that spat out near in front of my baby in his buggy… we were in middle of call to someone on loudspeaker while baby was sleeping …. I didn’t want to wake baby so I threw them a sight look and they went to pretend that they sorry as if they weren’t aware I was there … we stayed waking and afew secs later fireworks shot Up and banged right behind us … I wanted to go back and smash them up but wife wouldn’t let me.. sorry now.. wouldn’t be surprised if they the same lowlife scum… small scrawny dickless scum…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo

Badly constructed? Has it started to crumble and fall apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭ DaCor

There's a world of difference in resource requirements when comparing a checkpoint (1-2 Garda is typically sufficient) versus a location with several hundred scuttered morons feeling invincible through inebriation.

If you want a Garda presence at the second than its either very substantial or nothing at all as too little would result in the Garda being targeted.

It's no different than in a nightclub. 1-2 on the door, but a lot more inside and if trouble kicks off there has to be enough to swarm and outnumber the troublemakers.

it’s just sickening to see the crap that’s going unpunished at moment … in fairness to the guards I suppose they’re probably sick to the teeth of watching the same scumbags get free legal aid and get away time and time again with their hard upbringing stories

• Registered Users Posts: 19,096 ✭✭✭✭ Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 16,268 ✭✭✭✭ zell12

I know! There's even an Eircom 07/09 area code telephone book (remember those?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭ fun loving criminal

He aimed the firework at the bus stop and zero fücks given afterwards. God, the poor woman. I hope they go heavy with that piece of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭ gordongekko

I'm not sure how a few gardai are supposed to control a few thousand people in Eyre Square. You'd need a change in the public order act and a zero tolerance policy towards anyone being in Eyre Square after a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ An Claidheamh

Then go back and capture one of them and beat them up

That’s what people have to do if their family are threatened

We have no police in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ An Claidheamh

They need only police the law breakers, they seem to believe they can police hundreds of thousands of law abiding people

Just like a normal police forc

We need to stop making excuses for them

They not incompetent, they are cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭ bazwraf

Slight tangent, but I saw a video today of some lad swinging a knife in the city some night this week.

Things are definitely starting to get out of hand. Attention needs to be brought to these issues immediately.

Not making any excuses, but I think the way pubs are running during the pandemic is playing a part.

Pre-pandemic the bouncers would stop trouble makers from getting into pubs/clubs, and they'd generally leave town. Now, they all just congregate in Eyre Square. Shops and Off licenses aren't getting into trouble if they serve drunk people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,592 ✭✭✭✭ BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭ SupplyandDemandZone

This is what happens when you have a non functioning justice and law and order system. It ain't getting better either.

the wife stopped me… I would have bet the shite out of them otherwise ….I’m not a thug but when it comes to my baby … anyone that puts his health in jeopardy is going to get their teeth kicked in

Im not going to excuse that ****er in any way but you can tell from that video he didnt flat out aim it at the bus stop. It hits off the ground and richochets over.

Despite that he's still fully culpable, the same way someone driving dangerously who kills someone is too.

Just an observation as you might have thought it was aimed directly at the bus stop.

As an aside, amazingly theres no more videos of Eyre Sq on Snapchat, it's almost like some sort of enforcement has magically taken place since.

The best case scenario for that girl is that hes a "normal" person and turns up with compensation if hes caught, as the sentence he'll get otherwise won't amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ ThePentagon

Christ, we are plagued with so many hicks in this country.

At the very end, was that the actual firework that injured that young woman?

Definitely was, you can see her kind of fall back as the video ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭ charlie_says

She lost her eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭ _Whimsical_

Yeah you can tell he doesn't even know that someone has been hurt, he continues on oblivious. It is exactly like you say though, analogous to drunk driving, entirely foreseeable that someone could be very seriously injured or killed somewhere in his orbit and there is no way to excuse the behaviour.

Surprising that there's been no arrest already, he looks very identifiable to anyone who'd know him.

Sad too that no one around him looks even surprised by what is happening or tells him to stop because he's putting everyone in danger.

Makes me glad my days of hanging around public places are done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭ thesandeman

Apparently there was some dickhead running around Westport with one of those guns at the weekend as well. The doorstaff from one of the pubs had to run over and disarm him. Don't know if guards were called.

Advertisement