Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Shock and Awe (2017) was up the other night. It stars James Marsden & Woody Harrelson, and tells the story of two journalists who published stories doubting WMD in Iraq.

🤕

There are so many better pre-, during and post- 9/11 movies than this.

Some of the scenes are sloppy. In one, we come in to two characters sitting across from each other at an office desk. There's a couple of beats as the camera moves and then the characters talk. The conversation is filled with frustration, so I'm thinking: if he's furious why didn't he come into the room yelling? Instead, he sat down said hello and then launched into it. :/

The film relies too heavily on real news clips. Peppering them in now and then is fine, but their over utilisation was lazy.

One thing that bugged me was their use of sources. They speak to various people (military, diplomat etc...) and things like "Military source" or "State department official" flash up. From my Leaving Cert English all I can remember is: show, don't tell. It feels like that #1 rule was forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

A Texas Funeral

Behind the Red Door

Bloodline (2019)

Break a Leg

Central Intelligence

Conversations with Other Women

Country Strong

Crimson Peak (Chastain/Hiddleston)

The Family Tree

Flocking (Original Title: Flocken)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

It: Chapter Two

Lost Kiddy Found 

Miss Meadows (K.Holmes)

Murder by Numbers (Bullock/Gosling)

Vamp

You've Got Mail

G.E.O. Más allá del límite (Spain’s Elite Police: Beyond limits)(Amazon Original)(Season 1)(2021)

I Know What You Did Last Summer (Season 1)(Amazon Original)(2021)(4 episodes,weekly until conclusion)

Pan y Circo (Season 2)(2021)

Sanctuary (Season 1-2,4)

Unforgettable (Season 4)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Constantine - 22/10

Terminator Genisys - 29/10

Bones (Season 1-12) - 23/10

Desperate Housewives (Season 1-7) - 24/10

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Dark Waters expires tomorrow. Movie with Mark Ruffalo similar story to Erin Brockovich.

Where do you find out the ones which are expiring? I just happened to find this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched The Manor. It's only about an hour and a half long. Barbara Hershey is the lead and does a good job. It was engaging to me up until the final 20 minutes or so where I thought it got very silly. Reminded me of an episode of Goosebumps by the end.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

After We Fell (Amazon Exclusive)(2021)

Almost Mercy

Ammonite (Winslet/S.Ronan)(Amazon Exclusive)(2020)

Bluebeard

Cast a Dark Shadow

Chameleon (2019)

Crossed Over

Delta Fever

Fever

Footprints (Original Title: Le orme)

Friend (Original Title: 친구)

The General (B.Keaton)

I See You (2019)

The Island

Jewel

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 

The Last Time I Saw Paris (E.Taylor)

Martin Luther

The Pajama Game (D.Day)

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

Red Riding Hood

Red Soil (Original Title: Rouge)(2021)

Rumor Has It... 

Satanic Panic

This Is Where I Leave You

Too Late for Tears

The Unforgiven (Lancaster/Hepburn)

Welcome to the Rileys

Cowboy Bebop 

Evolution - 1/11

Twilight (all films) - 1/11

The Lucky Ones - 2/11

The King's Speech - 3/11

Dark Waters was very good alright.

You can see whats leaving in next 30 days here Amazon.co.uk or reach it simply by typing "leaving amazon prime uk" into google search. Yes use the uk site there is not very much deviation between the two (only titles included in sub do be listed) and if the title is on there it you can predict it will soon be getting a notice but these don't be issued til 14 days are left you'll only know the exact date title is leaving then on the website or app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Panic is rather good. Decent cast which rarely ever happens.

A Bad Moms Christmas

Africa Screams

Another Man's Poison (B.Davis)

Big B (Original Title: ബിഗ് B)

The Black String

Bob and the Monster

Click

Corpse Bride

The Demented (2021)

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (Original Title: Se sei vivo spara)

The Duel (Harrelson/C.Hemsworth)

Geostorm

The Golden Compass (Kidman/Craig)

The Goonies

Grimm

The Green Hornet

The Hateful Eight

The Hunger Games

John Wick: Chapter 2

Kids in Love

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

London Has Fallen

The Michaels

National Lampoon's Vacation

Night Comes On

Not Another Teen Movie

Olympus Has Fallen

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

Police Academy

Pretenders (J.Levy/J.Temple/B.Cox)(2019)

Puzzle

Rick (B.Pullman)

Sausage Party

Shutter Island

V for Vendetta

Black Spot (Season 1)(Original Title: Zone Blanche)

The Blue Rose

Charlotte (Original Title: シャーロット)

Fresh Meat (Season 1-4)

Jericho (Season 1-2)

Key & Peele (Season 1-5)

Killer Net

Kill la Kill (Original Title: キルラキル)

Maradona: Blessed Dream (Amazon Original)(2021)(New episodes Friday until conclusion)

Nathan For You (Season 1-4)

Pimp My Ride (Season 1-5)

Sandokan 

Secrets & Lies

Ugly Betty (Season 1-4)

Workaholics (Season 1-7)

The Curse of La Llorona - 8/11

A Bigger Splash - 9/11

Now You See Me & NYSM 2 - 10/11

Miss Sloane - 12/11

Prisoners - 12/11

Clueless - 13/11

Pokemon Detective Pikachu - 15/11

Spotlight - 15/11

• Advertisement

The new Maradona Drama is excellent, each episode better then the last

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Snowpiercer is there, the movie it’s excellent. Have not seen the tv show but heard it’s not so good. The Hateful 8 also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I enjoyed both the movie and tv show, both very different stories but with the same backdrop. The tv shows 3rd season is coming soon too so they must be doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I find Key and Peele funny, so pleased to see that added.

I noticed The Demented stars Bret 'The Hitman' Hart, but the trailer for it looks so bad that I don't think I can check it out.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 1 is fine, season 2 takes a significant uptick in quality though, such that it went from background noise to a show I genuinely looked forward to.

Stylistically, it doesn't hold a candle to the movies eccentricity and macabre tone. Sometimes the show leans that way but rarely commits to the same extent. The film's the better beast but the show ain't half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Probably been mentioned already but Blade Runner 2049 is an incredible sci-fi movie and it seems to be permanently on Amazon Prime. I've watched it a few times now, mostly just to look at the gorgeous visuals and to remind me that there are still great cinematic films still being made.

Amazon Prime in general has a great selection of movies, much better than other streaming services. Plus I think I pay around £4 a month for it and that includes my free prime delivery service. Incredible value.

I think it's a commonly held misconception that Prime has nothing worth watching. Their user interface is awful and even when you know something is on there it can be hard to find it through the search function. That's why threads like this, or the filter by service function on Letterboxd, are so useful.

Oh, and on the subject of Blade Runner 2049, do you need to have seen the first one to watch the second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Totally agree with this. I joined 4 months ago and was really impressed with how big the catalogue is. A big plus for me is that there are lots of old films, something that Netflix doesn't cover. As you say Elmo, finding things is tricky, thus I'm using a website called WatchNow, they are good for new additions, though I am not sure they have a section on what's expiring.

I've been considering Disney+, but between Prime, Netflix and Mubi I have plenty to watch!! So many films (and TV series), so little time!!!🙃

I find having too many subscriptions at once just makes it even harder to decide what to watch. I keep Netflix, get Prime through Eir for free, and then tend to just do a month with Disney or Apple every now and then depending on when new series of TV shows air. I'm guessing a lot of people do this and that's why releases have pivoted back to weekly episodes on those services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Signed up to Amazon prime about 4 months ago. Hate. Cannot find anything on it. When I do a search for something, seems like its available, then sends me around the houses when trying to get to see that movie. Eventually I just give up and revert back to one of the other available options like Netflix. I definately need to cancel these subs. Signed up to Netflix, Amazon and Nowtv. Waste of money on my behalf in this day and age where most moves are free to stream anyway.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by sending you round the houses?

No, you don't need to have seen the first one. I tried watching that a few times and gave up on it so didn't know much going into the sequel.

I hate Netflix. It reminds me of Xtravision: all the new releases but an awful lot of shite too. Amazon Prime has hidden gems like the old video stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I only spotted yesterday that Blade Runner 2049 is currently listed under "Only for a limited time on Prime" so it may be leaving soon. In saying that it's left and come back again in the past.

I also only recently noticed that Manchester by the Sea is no longer available. I thought this was forever going to be available given it's initial release but I was obviously wrong. I was waiting to be in the right mood to watch it but clearly hadn't felt up for it over the years since it came out.

Was Manchester By The Sea made by Amazon or did they just buy distribution rights? It's still on Prime in the US so maybe the international rights are different?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s been a few weird rights lapses with Amazon recently. Honey Boy was marketed as an Amazon Original and now has shown up on Netflix.

I looked up both Honey Boy and Manchester By The Sea and they were both shown at Sundance and then bought by Amazon for distribution. So it seems to be the same situation as a lot of Netflix films being marketed as Netflix Originals but they had nothing to do with making them.

I was reading about something recently, can't remember what, but it was that Netflix bought distribution rights for it, but because BBC Films was involved in production they kept the British TV rights. So I'm guessing whatever deals Amazon had for these other films didn't give them full rights forever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think they just bought the distribution rights off the back of Sundance. At the time it felt like their highest profile acquisition and was before they were creating their own original content.

Actually, on further investigation it is there. They've just relisted it, and as an Amazon Original.

The second item here is the one that's been in my Watchlist since it was first released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Startup with Martin Freeman appears to be showing on both Prime and Netflix at the moment, first time I've seen that happen.

• Advertisement

There's numerous shared titles if that's what you mean. There was recent buzz round Parks and Rec and The Office (US) added/readded to Netflix this year for instance both have been on Prime for donkeys (and still are). It would still be wise for the most part to assume if a popular series is coming to one streaming service it could well lapse if it is on another, quite a lot of the Fox stuff has left Prime and Netflix recently and may not return as frequently due to Disney Plus.

Advertisement