Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Recently finished the Second Season of The Boys. Really enjoyed it and wouldn't have bothered with it only one of my mates recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hotel Coolgardie well worth a watch. Documentary following two Finnish girls who go work in a pub in the Oz outback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

5 Flights Up

12 Strong (C.Hemsworth)

100 Streets (I.Elba/G.Arterton)

The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box

A Few Good Men

Aftermath

An American Affair

And Then There Were None

Alison

Ashes in the Snow (B.Powley)

Barely Lethal (H.Steinfeld/S.Turner)

The Baytown Outlaws

The Beaver (M.Gibson/J.Foster)

Big Daddy (A.Sandler)

Bingo Hell (Amazon Original)(2021)

Birds of Paradise (Amazon Original)(2021)

Black as Night (Amazon Original)(2021)

Boy (J.Rolleston/T.Waititi)

Breaking Surface

Bridget Jones's Baby

Bringing Down the House (S.Martin)

Cardboard Gangsters

The Children

The Contender (Oldman/Bridges/C.Slater)

Dark Crimes

Death at a Funeral

Detour

Don't Breathe

Driving Miss Daisy (M.Freeman/J.Tandy)

Dunkirk

Eat Locals

Elsa & Fred 

The Escape (G.Arterton)

The Escapist (B.Cox/D.Lewis)

The Fly Room

Ghost in the Shell (S.Johansson/M.Pitt)

The Huntsman: Winter's War

The Green Knight (D.Patel/Vikander)(Amazon Original)(2021)

Happy Death Day 2U

Heidi

The Help

The Holiday

Hotel Coolgardie

Igor

Imperium (D.Radcliffe/T.Collette)

Infinite (M.Wahlberg)(Amazon Exclusive)(2021)

Jennifer Lopez: Dance Again

Kong: Skull Island

The Lego Batman Movie

Life As We Know It 

The Loft

Love Actually

The Maiden Heist

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (I.Elba/N.Harris)

Man Down

The Man Without a Face

Misconduct

Muriel's Wedding

My Days of Mercy (E.Page/K.Mara)

Odd Thomas

The Perfect Host

The Pirates of Somalia (E.Peters/Pacino)

Poseidon (K.Russell/R.Dreyfuss)

Raspberry Magic

Renegades (J.K.Simmons)

The Resident

Selma

The Shallows (B.Lively)

Shark Tale

Sister

Smurfs: The Lost Village

Spiderman (T.Maguire/K.Dunst/W.Dafoe)

Sugar Mountain

Superbad

Two Night Stand (M.Teller)

The Ugly Truth

Us (Nyong'o)

The Vanishing of Sidney Hall

The Void

The Wicker Man (Cage)

Winter's End

The Witches (A.Huston)

Woman on the Run

Wonder Woman (G.Gadot)

100% Wolf: Legend of the Moonstone (Season 1)

90210 (Season 1-5)

All or Nothing: Toronto Maple Leafs (Amazon Original)(2021)

The Bernie Mac Show (Season 1-5)

Fresh Meat (Season 1-4)

Goliath (Season 4)(Amazon Original)(2021)

My Wife and Kids (Season 1-5)

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (Season 1-7)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Parasite - 6/10

The Other Boleyn Girl - 11/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ I still haven't gotten around to Parasite yet. Might be the kick in the bum I need to sit down and watch it.

Parasite is excellent get on it, another 3 days is all.

I watched Bingo Hell, not really a horror not really good either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do. Parasite is the exception of a best Oscar gong that absolutely deserved its plaudits. It's a deeply clever, entertaining, thrilling film - and has one of the creepiest single frames in modern cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I started watching Guns Akimbo with Daniel Radcliffe and had to give up after half an hour. A shame because I think Radcliffe has made some interesting choices since HP but this was just really poor and I was finding it incredibly difficult to suspend my disbelief at some bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a movie that I think will be really hit or miss with people - probably very few neutrals. I wasn't really expecting to like it to be honest, but for whatever reason that particular tone of playful hyper-stylised campy nonsense pulled me in and I found myself really enjoying it! I'd say being in just the right mood for it helps a lot too. I got some vibes of Tank Girl, and Birds of Prey - both of which I love - from it, albeit it's not as good as either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I really enjoyed Guns Akimbo. I thought it was very funny - I think Radcliffe did a great job in the lead role. The scene with Rhys Darby was great from what I remember. That and Boss Level are films I'd rate the same and both have that ott, cartoony action that doesn't take itself seriously at all and is great for switching the brain off and enjoying the chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Boss level surprisingly good/entertaining… I didn’t think Frank Grillo had it in him to be a leading man….

apparently the movie was finished years ago but it’s release was delayed because the studio thought it was a skunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Boss Level was ok for me but I did at least finish it. I wouldn't watch it again, a very small thing but the fact that the main character only spent about 200 days in the loop absolutely baffled me though, I think the Groundhog Day director said that Phil Connors spent about ten years in the loop and even in Palm Springs, aandy Samberg's character has clearly been there for years.

Guns Akimbo lost me when they showed the Nix character dispatch an entire room of henchmen in a gun-fu extravaganza and then in the next scene she couldn't even hit one dude standing straight in front of her. I found Nerve to be far more interesting take on a similar concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Personally I loved Boss Level; it had some superb action, a charismatic lead, a nice bit of humour thrown into the mix and the perfect length at ~90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Green Knight was awful. I switched off after 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

One of the worst films I've had the misfortune of watching. I really wished I had switched it off but I was stubborn to see it through to the end.

I really cannot understand all the rave reviews it is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wouldn't be quite so positive about it but I did get through it and it is all just a bit chaotic.

One I enjoyed was I Care a Lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Frank Gr

Also… Frank Grillo is almost 60 ! some people at that age can’t get out of a chair let alone start everyday fighting a helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I watched it. I enjoyed it. I think I would have liked it more if I'd seen it back when it was released though. Not so much because of how hyped it's been, but because it's actually become a cultural reference at this stage and I think even just by accident I knew more about it than I wanted to.

Also, which frame did you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If I was to wager it would be around when the guy from downstairs becomes visible at the basement door entrance and scares the kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's a curse of the zeitgeist that you can end up accidentally spoiling yourself without even realising. Regards the frame, it's the moment when:

We find out what the "ghost" was from the point of view of the kid, and we just see the basement dweller's eyes peeking out over the top of the stairs.

@homerun_homer Maybe spoiler your line?

• Advertisement

Weirdly it was the Happy Endings pandemic zoom reunion episode that gave a major plot point away for me. Just not where I was expecting to get Korean movie references.

Yeah, that scene was creepy, but it also made it darkly hilarious later on when the mother was planning to untraumatise the son with the birthday cake parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Half way through Season 1 and finding the scenes with the husband impossible to sit through anymore so I’ve just decided to fast forward through his scenes from now on to get back to the scenes without him.

It started out very interesting with the format of the scenes, but now I find I just want to get to the end to find out what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Agree, perfect length and done the emotion well. It's one of the movies that I'd actually watch again for the fun.

I see the infamous Wild Mountain Thyme has been added.

I liked the idea of making it a procedural; the murder victim trying to figure out why he was being killed in the first place - the character development coming from a meathead acquiring some smarts alongside the requisite emotional growth typical of the sub-genre. The film made a criminal waste of Michelle Yeoh however; can't forgive that.

Sounds like Happy Death Day, except for the meathead bit.

It plays itself as an action movie primarily, only that its set pieces are framed against the time loop concept. The comedy is more "douchebag" oriented than HDD. Have you seen Happy Death Day 2? That was a great sequel that leaned more into the comedy and emotional catharthis than repeating the same schtick again.

Yeah, I liked both HDD, but they were very different in tone. Apparently they're doing a 3rd one and I'm very excited about that.

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

American Hustle

A Quiet Life (Original Title: Una vita tranquilla)

Argo

The Boy Who Killed My Parents (2021)

The Campaign (Ferrell/Sudeikis/Galifianakis)

The Cooler (W.H.Macy/A.Baldwin/M.Bello)

Gangster Squad

The Girl Who Killed Her Parents (2021)

The Goldfinch (Elsgort/Kidman)(2019)

Hall Pass

Here After (2020)

The Infiltrator

The Italian Job (M.Wahlberg/Theron/E.Norton)

Joker (J.Phoenix/De Niro/B.Camp)(2019)

Justin Bieber: Our World (Amazon Original)(2021)

Leave of Absence

Legends Of The Fall (B.Pitt/Hopkins/A.Quinn)

Level Sixteen

Madres (Amazon Original)(2021)

The Manor (Amazon Original)(2021)

Mercy Black (2019)

Monster-in-Law

OtherLife

The Ratings Game (DeVito)

Santa's Slay 

Sister Act

Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

Tracktown

Under The Greenwood Tree (K.Hawes)

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Wild Mountain Thyme (2020)

Year One

Justified (Season 1-6)

Fear the Walking Dead (Season 6)

Pan y Circo (Season 2)(Amazon Original)

Private Practice (Season 1-6)

The Walking Dead: World Beyond (Season 2)(Opening episode, Episodes weekly until conclusion)

Unforgettable (Season 1-3)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

The Matrix - 14/10

The Matrix: Reloaded - 14/10

Amelie - 19/10

Cold Pursuit - 21/10

Bobs Burgers (Season 1-10) - 15/10

Futurama (Season 1-10) - 17/10

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 1-7) - 18/10

Modern Family (Season 1-8) - 19/10

• Advertisement

Oh shoot. We had been working through Bob's Burgers slowly; we're only at season 6. Bugger.

Advertisement