Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

McGregor doesn't have flair or charisma. Not any more. He built up a brand based on his ability. Unfortunately for him, his ability has been shown to be less than what is required.

In order to be the brash, disrespectful rebel he presented himself as, he needed to be unbeatable. He has proven himself to be very beatable. His **** talk now means nothing.

McGregor's brand and cocky persona was somewhat legitimised when he was a world champion. A champion can be forgiven for being disrespectful to opponents because they are superior. He is not anymore.

McGregor has lost fight after fight, tried boxing, acted like a scumbag, flipped to being respectful, then back to scumbag, was embroiled in rape allegations, assaulted an old man in a pub, allegations of assaulting a DJ just this weekend.

Fair enough, the lad learned to fight. And he could have been one of the best ever. But because of his life choices and perhaps the guidance he didn't have, he is just a rich fighter who is more hype than ability or merit. His mouth is stronger than his fighting, he has no likeability and he has no interest in anything except his made up persona of some sort of rich playboy.

Cosplay all he likes. All he is, is a scumbag from crumlin who got rich from fighting. His "mates" from the area probably would have seen him ok too. But his popularity, his mystique and his ability are waining exponentially and it will be ugly to watch.

It says a lot when someone like me (a nobody) would certainly not swap places with McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Why mention Tiger Wood and Floyd Mayweather? Two deserved legends of their sports with phenomenal records. Are you honestly trying to put McGregor in that class?

I like McIlroy but some people think he is unlikable but how can anyone compare him to McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mayweather has multiple convictions for domestic abuse, spent time in jail for same, and there's more that he got away with. He's a loudmouth and a grade-A scumbag. Comfortably the same class of person as McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

But Mayweather actually came from a slum, with a nightmarish childhood. Same as Tyson.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned Beckham being squeaky clean, didn't he have a number of affairs?

Your hardly classing Beckham in the same class as McGregor 🤔

No not at all. Just pointing out he has had some indiscretions is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, but he generally kept them low key, didn't he?

And he didn't party like a scum bag, and punch random people in the street, or bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

or shove enough coke up his nose to make pablo escobar do a double-take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pointless comparing.mcilroy with McGregor on any level but I've always found Rory completely charmless and uninteresting as an individual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He had an affair with a woman whose mainly remembered for w@nking off a pig on some reality show.

In fairness she was very sexy (Loos) back when Becks was slipping her a length. Looks like she wouldn't have been averse to bringing another bird along for some fun. Pretty dim move on the part of Posh to give the go-ahead to hire her as a nanny in fairness!

Meanwhile this is the level of absolute crack-den scrag that McGregor was getting up on (yes that's him)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The state of that yoke with McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kakas

Never been a fan of McGregor but he was good for a time on the UFC but now with money and the constant bad behavior, it's all become WWE for him.

He'll make a tonne more cash doing this in the US, but the reality with him is that he is a spent force and also now looking like a right plonker.

You get the feeling that something karma-like is coming to him very soon unless he changes his ways.

To be fair, she only go the chance to **** off a pig on TV because she had an affair with Beckham, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

All McGregor has done is make a huge percentage of those inbred tinkers that follow him believe they can fight like him when they have a few drinks on board. I was in Boston on a work trip when he fought that German guy and I remember hundreds of those scumbags trying to start fights with locals and then turning on each other. Maddest thing I’d ever seen. Flying 5,000 miles away to get drunk and fight a fellow illiterate tosser from Crumlin with your top off in the middle of Faneuil Hall isn’t much fun. The BPD didn’t arrest anyone, they just got their nightsticks out and beat a few coked up topless muppets on the back and the ribs. Not the type of thing you want to get when it’s -5 degrees.

There have been countless stories of lads getting seriously injured outside pubs, nightclubs and chippers up and down the country by so called hard men trying to mimic their hero McGregor. Trash talk with the classic “you’ll do nuttn” line thrown in is always a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Don't think so. Floyds father and uncle were professional fighters, he had a fairly privileged upbringing. So hardly rags to riches, he was always money Mayweather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I meant in terms of ability. I'm not saying that he's in any way a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Mayweather was comfortably more talented and is a far bigger legend in world sport. (and I'm talking about sporting legacy here, not levels of fame)

On a personal level, I would say McGregor is now also much worse than Mayweather ever was. As a black man in America, if Floyd had committed many of these assaults, there is no question he would have seen the inside of a jail cell.

And I'm no fan of Mayweather's personal life btw.

What message does it send out from our courts when McGregor can just pay off that old man in the pub and avoid and real world consequences from our justice system? Clearly it tells McGregor, that he can basically do whatever the feck he likes and he'll get away with it. Hopefully the Italian courts do what the Irish courts failed to do, and correctly punish what is now an out of control ego maniac hitting the self-destruct button right in front of our eyes!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

He didn't avoid any real world consequences from the courts by paying anyone off. He appeared in court, plead guilty and paid a fine.

That's pretty typical outcome of a case like this in Ireland. I'm not saying it's ideal but it's nothing to do with brown envelopes or pay-offs.

We all know there are much worse cases before our courts where people are walking away with fines. It's nothing to do with McGregor and everything to do with how our courts systems operate generally.

The guy he punched would have been paid off to avoid further media coverage from a civil case after the criminal matter was dealt with. It had no affect on the actual matter before a judge as an assault offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is the DJ he punched pressing charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

You think everyone who manages to fight professionally is rich? In addition to boxing, his dad was a drug dealer who was shot while trying to use Floyd Jr as a human shield, and his mother was a crack addict. His and McGregor's upbringings are worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No, no, no. His “scumbag” persona is all an act remember. It’s to get people watching his fights. His fans will watch anyway and those who hate him will watch to see him lose.

I remember all the McNuthuggers using that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

yes he said he is anyway, and rightly so but mcgregor will probably pay him off and it'll be some other easy target next week.

Like Mcilroy he deffo has Napolean syndrome which is the root of the problem imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pay off or have some goons intimidate the guy into taking the money and dropping the charges.

The tide is turning…

McIlroy isn't that short, so why would he have Napoleon complex?

McIlroy and McGregor are of similar enough heights - ranging from 5'8 to 5'9 listed.

I've seen McGregor out in Dublin before - he's pretty short.

Would definitely say that the Napoleon thing is something with McGregor, amongst other issues.

In any case McIlroy should not be in the same conversation as McGregor the scrote-bag thug.

If McIlroy is short he's certainly not going around regularly attacking and punching people in some sort of unhinged knacker ego rage.

McGregor surrounds himself in a yes-man bubble of low-level hoodlum and scummer hangers-on where he's the "big man" - pardon the pun lol (or when training with Coach Kavanagh types who just take the money like the hypocrites they are and just pretend they don't see the scum behaviour) so when he ventures out into the real world where he doesn't control the whole environment he still somehow expects that he should be able to do whatever

Punch people, smash their phones, smash up buses, jump into the cage when other fights are going on etc.

Not one normal well-known person in Ireland associates themselves with McGregor.

A happy person does not go around punching random people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i guess it depends on what height you are looking at him from, but to me 5 ft 8 or 9 is small for a man.

Advertisement