Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chloe_boards

Got the magic 35 indeed! And lots of management experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Yes 35 here. Is there some reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tolkienlives

35 here too. Felt I had good examples that covered each of the areas but alas no success. Really struggling to see how I could have improved my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tarftonclax

35 in the other two competencies too. HEO. 20 years experience in the Grade. Third time doing this Zoom version. Eighth time attempting the AP open/Interdepartmental in total. As far as I have ever got. As Clint Eastwood said "A man (or Woman) has got to know his/her Limitations"

Don't think I'll be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

I think last year I got 1 42 and 2 35s, this year I got a 37 - bucking the trend :-)

It would be really helpful to know how they're graded for future attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tarftonclax

Yup. Last year I failed the Management Question so the other two didn't get corrected so I don't know how I did. This year I got 45 in the Management but failed the other two. The feedback is pretty pointless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Anyone tempted to get advise from Carr communications or the like to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Wouldn’t be a bad approach. I had asked at least 4 APs and 1 PO to see if my answers were strong enough. Definitely look for advice from other people when prepping would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Diddlydoe90

I looked to people at the grade and higher too with my examples who said I ticked the boxes in every example. It’s just very hard to know what they’re looking for. I too don’t know how I can improve on what I put in there and stretch what I do in my current grade/role. A lot of people seem to be feeling the same. I don’t think I’ll be applying again for this type of competition.

This year was tough for something meant to be competency based so again well done to those who made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

I got 35 last year. My guess is that PAS bump people who are anywhere below 35 up to that score. It's far enough below 40 that few people will appeal the result, but high enough that no-one feels completely humiliated by being given, say, a score of 10 or worse. No need to twist the knife, is probably their thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I would rather hope that all marks given are based on strict criteria and that 35, or any mark, represents something meaningful. That's disappointing and useless if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vologda69

What is the interview total mark out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

300, there was 100 available for each question

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz Ella

To all those who didn't get through and believe that they should have, please be aware that there is a process by which you can make your case for an action or decision made in relation to your candidature reviewed under Section 7 or 8 of the CPSA Code.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

I 'Passed' but didn't get high enough marks to be brought forward in the next round. Letter says I will be in future.

I'm an external applicant and its my first time considering anything in the civil service so all new: does anyone have any idea how long its likely to take for them to finish this round then move onto the next one? Will they do the interviews, start a panel, and then move onto people in my category once that panel is empty, so taking months? Or will they put everyone who 'passes' the next stage on a panel then immediately bring forward people from this stage? I've found the unpredictable timing of this the hardest thing to get my head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but based on past comps, the first batch of interviews will have invitations sent out in the next week and will be done and dusted including results 4-6 weeks. The panel will then be formed and they'll start hiring people from it.

I would expect them to start on the next round of interviews (yours) somewhere in the next 6-12 weeks. My instinct says just this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Northern Sound

Same here scored 35 on " Experience of leading teams and managing resources" and then N/A not marked for other two.

I have 32 year Civil Service experience, 22 as supervisor, 10 as HEO with top marks always on PMDS and my general work. In that question that I scored 35 the question was outline your experiences, and I gave overview of my rise from SO to EO to HEO and significant achievements and lots of staff management along the way.

So in the very same Civil Service to get to the next grade up I scored 35/100 after that. Are they having a laugh !!!

After 32 years I can tell you it sucks you in, institutionises you, demeans you and the only benefit is a decent consistent pay packet.

To those outside I would say in my view/experience if you are of AP qualifying standard then you are making a foolish choice considering AP. I am stuck in my mid 50s not qualified to do anything else but if you have choices please consider other options. My kids are University graduates and if they mentioned the CS I would advise against.

How many times have I seen bluffers, con artists, talk-the-talk get to AP/PO. For an internal AP interview a few years back I was advised my 2 different POs to grossly exaggerate my experiences. Needless to say I found this difficult and didn't succeed. I worked with one of those POs when they were HEO and the whole unit laughed when they got AP !

Sad to say but if you want a fulfilling work experience, in my opinion, stay clear

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Maybe some of your hard-done-by attitude came across?

The question didn't ask you to outline experiences going back 30 years, it asked for your experience of leading teams and managing resources - very different things. PMDS is irrelevant. PAS don't see it, and it's literally a 'Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory' rating for the past few years, which, yes, is a joke.

Yes, there are chancers who get promoted beyond their capabilities. That happens in all walks of life, certainly not confined to the public service. There are also exemplary leaders in all levels of management, who can inspire, mentor and manage well. And there are plenty of interesting work areas where ones' work really makes a difference.

/signed another middle-aged civil servant, who took many attempts to get AP.

I have to say I made the same mistake as you last year and heavily focused on staff management, so for this competition adapted my answer to include budget and project management, my far broader approach to this question this time round paid off and I actually scored higher in q2 than in the others. So I would have to disagree that it is a joke but hopefully you can learn from your experience and adapt your approach for next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Same. I failed last year and passed this year. Got the dreaded 35 on Leadership last time out.

It sounds stupid, but the difference is that this time I answered the actual questions. Last time I thought I had, but I was so anxious to wedge in competencies and the normal PAS comp stuff that I really didn't hit the mark for the precise question as worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bm317

I passed last year and scored just over 190 for the 3 questions. This year using basically the same answers I failed with 35 in 2 of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

I got 36 in question 2. I would love to know what constitutes a good answer for this. Not out of egotism or anything like that, my answer obviously wasn't good enough but I feel I do have relevant experience for AP. I just don't know how to go about structuring the description.

I tried talking in general terms briefly about my experience and then gave 2 specific examples. Does that sounds like a sensible approach? The question doesn't ask for specific examples so it's hard to know.

Funnily enough I've now been invited to do a video submission thing for AP Higher because I was in the top 160 in the aptitude tests/job simulation thing. Not sure there's much point but I may as well give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepgobahhh

Final interview details are out for those in the first batch after the video interviews. I'm doing mine in mid-late November, so there's loads of notice. Best of luck everyone!

Is it online still? Have they given details of t what the exercise entails?

thanks for the update and best of luck with all the prep

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheepgobahhh

Yeah, it's all online still. They let you know what the exercise entails, but the full details aren't released until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Northern Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Shelly33

Is the exercise done on the same day as the interview? Or are u given it in advance to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

That’s great! They are really moving fast. Best of luck with your preparations.

• Advertisement

Best of luck in it, certainly worth a try and a good opportunity for a different approach. I'm interested to know myself what constutues a good answer for each question. It seems, judging by some of the posts, that the parameters may have changed this year compared to last too.

Advertisement