Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squid Game [Netflix] [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Finished it last night, I enjoyed it but equally didnt think it was that good that it deserved all the media hype. It being Netflixs most watched show ever is probably a function of them attracting more and more subscribers rather than Squidgame being essential watching tv.

As others said the VIPs really lowered the tone. Might have been better if they showed people all over the world betting on the characters rather than just this bunch of wealthy people. Their animal masks did remind me of the Wicker Man though so maybe a nod to that by the director.

I also wish they had of fleshed out the harvesting of organs more, I thought they missed a good trick there becasue in real life China there is a trade from poor people to rich for their organs. They could have made a good sub plot out of that

Id say 7/10 overall and will watch the sequel when ever it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The VIPs really were brutal, sometimes I fire up that scene again just for how cringe it was. They should have had them face some kind of repercussions aswell.

I see some reviews are trying to compare this with Parasite. This was an excellent Netflix show, and we binged it over 3 nights. Parasite is in a completely different league though. It's one of the best movies ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thought this was really good.

Biggest let down was the VIPs. I couldn't care less about them and the dumb ass masks they wore, for some reason, annoyed me. Frontman, now he had a good mask.

Anyway liked or loved everything else.

8/10.

Does it justify the hype? No.

But then nothing ever does.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

The VIPs made the ambient dialogue in Bethesda games sound like normal and articulate conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Found Parasite to be very overrated myself. Loved Squid game, best thing on Netflix this year. Episode 6 was amazing, episode 7 was pretty intense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Disagree , way too many clues that I was hoping it was a double bluff.

1. Was an expert on all the games

2. The fact that his page was missing in the players blinder.

3. That keep repeating about how things reminded him of his past like house/alley

4. The fact that got killed off screen

5. The fact that we didn't see the host face, it had to be someone we knew.

Anyway some interesting fan theories:

1.The cards chosen at the train station decide if you are a player or guard. He choose blue which the players wear. The guards wear red

2. The old man is long lost main character father. The fact that old man talks about his son liking chocolate milk, the same alley, the spanking that he gave son. ( personally I think not possible but grandfather might)

3. The deaths are foreshadowed, the girl cut throat, the fall from bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished up tonight. Was really digging it up til episode 6 but the final two ran out of steam. Was an interesting take on a basic formula, the moral dilemmas faced had time to be fleshed out whereas in something like Battle Royale that's not possible. Some of the twists and turns could be seen coming.

There will definitely be a second season and I'll absolutely watch it but I hope ta fcuk the dyed red hair is ditched.

SPECULATION SPOILER TO FOLLOW, CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET SPOILER TAGS ADDED ON THIS POXY NEW SITE.

The cop is 100% still alive, he was only shot in the shoulder and his drop to the water was very short, watch it back and is only a couple of seconds from fall to splash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a perfectly watchable show. I mean, its fine. It's definitely better than Netflix's usual content. The cinematography is gorgeous. It does suffer from terrible dialogue, bad writing in whole segments (the whole cop thing was told so so bad, and his brother etc...) Couldn't give a crap about frontmans character or any of the masked VIP's, honestly they didn't even make sence, they paid what 30odd million to watch two games at the end, which were the crappy games, marbles wtf. Then whole scenes with the doctor harvesting organs...hello...POINTLESS NONSENCE! Loads more guff that went nowhere but I can't think right now. I honestly didn't "get" a lot of why these things happened, and it's not like I missed anything. It's just poorly written. You'd want to be blind to not have figured out who the old man was. It tried to be clever but failed miserably. I'd recommend it to people who are used to crappy TV shows...

As one fella said in work when I asked did he watch Breaking Bad/Wire/Better Call Saul/Oz/etc... he said "no they're total shyte"...but he loved squid game! There's your demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely. Frontman will be back running the game in the second series and the cop will be a contestant forced to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I felt the end had a feel of the Matrix and the choice that Neo was faced.

If the Frontman was a previous winner then it does give some credence that he too was "tricked" to return only to find himself the overall caretaker of the games. I wonder why someone who wins a fortune, like the Frontman, would return to oversee it all. The meeting with the original recruiter just before he gets on the plane seemed too controlled. Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

On the organ harvesting, I felt it was included to show that the guards were poor/desperate as well as the contestants. It kind of distinguished them from being the unquestioning henchmen that you would have assumed them to be. I think the second series will focus more on that side of things (based on nothing at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Enjoyed apart from the VIP segments which were brutal to watch.

Interesting none of them were Korean, all seemed to be American and one Eastern European/Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

If his drop was so short why didn’t he jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

How did not one person out of all the contestants, not notice the huge clues on the dorm walls?

Because he suspected the front man was who the front man turned out to be and wanted to verify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Article here on the English speaking actors.

Reading it you can see the blame not really all with them.

Wrong forum, can't delete. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I reckon it's well set up for a second season with a different dynamic as the main character sets about confronting the people behind the game.

Jung Ho-yeon is mesmerizing. She has one of those faces that are somehow beautiful and ugly at the same time (at least in this, haven't seen anything else with her in it). Those freckles are magnificent.

Overall, it's not great art by any means, but it's good TV.. as for getting snobby about this show compared to others, come on now, that's just comical. Enjoy this show, or don't (I did) - either way, it's nothing to get snobby about. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's hard to figure how valuable this has been for netflix..

enough to get a bunch of money and subscriptions and to the level where folks who sound like they were less interested in it.. watched it for hype level for sure

that seems like a pretty good result

More seasons would clear that up a bit I'd say. I wasn't as pushed on the following Stranger Things seasons as much as I remember being about the first one.. but each Stranger Things seasons has certainly come across as being big successes for netflix.

So probably all about what the Squid Game creators come up for the next seasons and if they can figure out ways to keep they audience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Guesstimates put the value possible at about $900m or 105877000000 SK Won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished watching episode 6, holy f*ck I'm in bits after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I loved the frontman, his english accent was so cool.

You can tell the actor is from a rich Korean family with that accent ... the VIP's however ?? wtf was that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The masked frontman was a different actor to the unmasked frontman, according to my wife. The unmasked guy is tiny in real life, whereas the frontman genrally towered over everyone. Doubt the voice was either of them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Interesting, I do think this is the English voice , he is from a wealthy family - probably went to an English school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Slightly behind most here.

Episode 4 is one of the most fucked up things I have ever seen on telly, in a good way. Amazing.

Can't beat a wise old head, no matter what the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was that the Tug O War episode?

I used to do TOW competitively and the 'strategy' in Squid Game was BS. The heavier team will generally win at TOW. If the male team had all just sat down there would be little chance that the team of tiny girls and OAPs would stand a chance. All the heavier guys pulling in unison will easily win.

The whole team should also be at the same side of the rope.

Being pedantic here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

The old man could easily have lost the tug of war game. What was the plan there i wonder? How would he be saved

Advertisement