Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

That white has a hold of him and her in a big way. Train wreck couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I despise the tramp. And he's a mediocre fighter at best but that was an exceptional punch

His name is Conor McTapper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

He won two belts in Cage Warriors.

Then went on a huge win streak in the UFC, knocked out Jose Aldo who hadn't been beaten in 10 years and had multiple title defenses.

Then made the champion of the next weight division look like a bum, KO'd him as well and won the second belt.

All this is objectively true irrelevant to how much of a scumbag he is in real life. You're not a "fan" for understanding these are facts and stating them isn't an endorsement of his lifestyle or behavior.

Do people with this weird blind hatred of him not realise how stupid they sound when they say stuff like "he was never a good fighter" or that he got lucky a few times?

His record is something like 23 wins with 19 KO's. That's a lot of "luck". Couldn't possibly be because he was/is a great boxer and striker? No...no it must be the luck.

And what is this constant stuff about getting shown up in his losses and exposed? He lost to an undefeated 30-0 champion who demolished most of his competition. The he lost to Dustin Porier who is considered the best lightweight in the world and fighting for the belt in December.

You might as well claim Tiger Woods was never good at golf and got a few lucky holes or Mayweather isn't really a good boxer and had a few lucky matches.

It's so unbelievably stupid. I mean I don't like him either but facts are facts. I despise Floyd Mayweather and Jon Jones but I still know and accept they are good fighters. Maybe he's regressed a lot as a fighter but he certainly was excellent in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

He was a good fighter, and if he had stayed on track he could have been a great fighter. After the Mayweather fight he started to decline rapidly, money, fame, buying in to his own hype and drugs, have all contributed to his free fall from grace.

I admit I used to be a fan, I admired his confidence, and his ability to work under pressure, and he mostly backed up his words with action. The build up to the Mayweather fight was when I started to dislike him, all the forced smack talk etc. His actions since have shown him up to be an unstable scumbag, the only difference between him and the hooded feral teens you see terrorising the streets of Dublin is money.

• Advertisement

Brimage was a flyweight

Holloway was a kid

Brandao was a bum

Poirier was an illegal punch

Siver was a gimme fight

Mendes was off the couch

Aldo was a lucky punch

He scraped a win in Diaz 2

Alvarez was a bum champion

Cowboy was well past it

There you have it. Your hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

narcissist be narcissing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that is hilarious, i would love to be exploited to the tune of 150 million, he is worth basically as much as David Beckham

that is seriously good business

He doesn't need any more money

Tiger is just as toxic and well Ronaldo has some juicy allegations also with payouts

Beckham is squeaky clean and seems a nice lad

Why the fu#k are you comparing McGregor and McIlroy. Ones a scumbag and the other isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

The Alvarez fight was completely legit, you can give him that much without buying into all the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mcilroy isn't a particularly likeable character, I can't stand him, but at least he's not going around assaulting random strangers and hanging out with gangland scum.

He might not be a likable character but how the hell can anyone compare the two of them to each other. Havent seen McIlroy assault anyone

Whenever I picture McGregor fans, this comes to mind

To think you could get banned from the MMA forum for saying a bad word about this absolute piece of sh1t until recently

(video won't embed on boards so click link)

https://youtu.be/HLNOnPsfYbI?list=PLk5wGB7hJcQIkIvvE-LQPRPUrDxw8tsRq&t=113

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

No-one was banned from the MMA for simply speaking negatively about him.

However, a few posters who shall remain nameless were banned because they were obsessively posting about how much of a knacker/scumbag/lowlife he was non-stop, contributing absolutely zero to actual discussion about upcoming fights, previous fights, fighting camps, basically anything to do with fighting..... you know the actual point of the MMA forum.

After repeated warnings by mods to give the same regurgitated crap a rest and focus on the actual event/sport, but continuing on regardless, they were eventually banned.

I've said negative things about him countless times in the MMA forum amidst actual discussion about particular fight and or/fights, so have tons of people, and none of us were banned either. There's no great conspiracy to protect the great and mighty Conor.

Go to any sports forum and invade a pile of threads with a singular, repeated focus on how X athlete is a lowlife scumbag without contributing anything to the discussion of the actual sport in question and you won't get too far either.

Personally I think there's a few people have an unhealthy, borderline obsession with their hatred of the man. I don't like McGregor. I enjoy watching his fights. Outside of that I think he's an increasingly embarrassing clown and I couldn't give a **** what he's up to, what stupid things he's doing, what he's shoving up his nose or who he's riding, what money he's making.

I just. Don't. Care. I don't get why the people who hate him have to invade every thread about him and make these crazy accusations like "He was never a good fighter he just had 15 fluke fights in a row" or "you will be banned from the mma forum if you dare criticise their idol".....or claim everyone that enjoys watching him fight is some sort of super-fan who blindly endorses everything he does.

That same video of the "fans" above his been posted by this poster about 20 different times as if it's supposed to prove something. Look, no-one cares. Move on with your life, let the hate go.

It only annoys me because as a massive MMA fan, completely independent of the fact that McGregor is an undisputed world champion dickhead, he was an amazing fighter and he has an incredible legacy, and has done huge amounts for the growth of the sport.

Pretending he hasn't, and was in fact never good at all, is just complete embarrassing childishness.

McGregor is relieved that you still have his back on boards 🤣

You never know your luck, he might send you a bottle of that rubbish whisky

I never said that he didn't have decent results or wasn't an effective fighter at featherweight where he had a size and reach advantage

He was certainly fortunate in certain respects for sure though in his timing in his early career for the UFC to need a "star" where he got an accelerated path

But it's been 5 years since he's been in any way effective in the octagon

I did say that he was an awful human from the very start as it was obvious and was certainly 100% correct there - he's consistently proven that in spades - pure piece of crap human.

The defences of anything he did were hilarious.

Nothing happened unless there was a video and even then it was explainable and defendable somehow!

Most people would have served some prison time for some of the things that he was actually caught red-handed doing.

It was actually the video of him blind sucker punching a man in the head in the pub just because he refused a drink that finally made him indefensible although he has done much worse

And it's terrible that this horrible yoke was exploiting the Irish flag for his own promotion and that millions of idiots in say the USA, still think of this gobshtye when they think of Ireland.

That's his worst "legacy".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

He was and still is an average fighter that managed some impressive wins.

Personally I think he could have been so much better had be moved camp and trained win a legit facility rather than sticking with SBG. No slight against the gym but he wasn't training with the top tier of opponent that he would have got in the states.

Over the years has his stand up, wrestling, grapping, take down defense improved much... no not really.

When you look at other fighters like Holloway and Poirier - if you compare their recent fights to 5-6 years ago the improvement is clear to see. No so much with McGregor which is a shame as he could have been remembered for so much more.

Rory is very well liked around the world, where is this idea that he is unlikable coming from?

On McGregor, I think he has committed enough assaults on people he has to get jail sometime.

McIlroy is very popular with his fellow players and sports journalists , and is a sound lad by all accounts. A bit shy if anything. Trying to compare him to a boorish oaf like McGregor is laughable.

There were a lot of people banned from the MMA forum for speaking negatively about him..got to a stage where you couldn't say anything other than stuff specifically about MMA there or you were banned..

And while some of us were actually low key trolling, for a lot of people it wasn't fair..but shur, it's the way the site has gone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

A certain poster, that will remain nameless, seriously needs to get out of McGregors arse. If you cared about the sport as much as you think you do, you wouldn't be lauding this dirt bags behaviour around the sport.

He's belittled the sport. Not enhanced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Chap can’t handle that not every girl is available simple as that , in his primitive world machine gun Kelly had Megan fox and that warranted a paddlin same for the DJ

true

some mods having an absolute hard-on for McGregor didn't help either

but not a few people invested in McGregor fandom so much that they feel very butthurt about what an absolute arsehole he continuously proved to be (what was obvious to some from the outset) and that it got to the point where there was zero possible defence even though some of the grandstanding defences of his outrageous doings and sayings were beyond pathetic

He didn't "change" with the money or anything else

He was always a bell-end tool of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Saw some footage of his elegant pals swanning through Dublin airport VIP terminal with bottles of his whiskey onto a chartered plane to head to the Vatican christening. Can only imagine how chaotic it must have been for the cabin crew on that flight and any other person waiting in the VIP terminal for their flight! 😷

People love him for the same reason traveler culture in Ireland is often revered - spirit.

Paradoxical.

Tyson was a loco scumbag as well, and some countries still have marching parades in his honor.

Spirit.

Uncultivated however it becomes..... deleterious.

But in a world that doesn't understand cultivation, how to incorporate being civilized with being spirited is a paradox we haven't yet solved, so seeing that raw spirit is a breath of fresh air to so many.

Win or lose his fights are BY FAR the most exciting in the world, and nothing else compares to them.

And yes his personality is somewhat "scrote" but comparing a world class athlete to some perpetual welfare sponging bum from Darndale that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, tries to start fights only to claim compensation money, is still inaccurate.

He does have flair and charisma which those little runts and degenerates could never hope to have.

I say this not to defend the dude, but honestly it elevates that trash Dublin demographic to try and conflate it with a world class sports person like McGregor.

Suffice to say I have a lot more contempt for that human landfill (and their trash girlfriends) that populates Dublins streets and council housing estates than I could ever have for a dude whose main mistake is that he keeps forgetting to take his seroquel.

He is every bit as bad as those people you speak about.

A common thug, but with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah now, that's not quite true. You could have 100 posts in a row talking about how how great a businessman he is and great promotion for his whiskey etc. That was all grand.

But if someone dropped in with an innocent "I tried the whiskey at the weekend and it wasn't nice" then they'd get banned for their post not being about MMA 😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement