Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

“Twelve Days” by Victor Sebestyen. The story of the Hungarian uprising of 1956 and the subsequent crushing of it by the Soviets.

Just getting to the revolution itself about halfway through the book. First half is the lead up to it from the end of WW2. Very interesting and well written account so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,842 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just read it for the first time too and it's an amazing book.

As for Paul his power is explained as is Rey's so neither are a Mary Sue not that it stopped people misusing the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I haven't read a book all year, until I got a kindle paperwhite on monday. I've read through two books, One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde and The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. I didn't realize that The Rithmatist was the first book in a series, and he hasn't started writing the second one yet. Now I'm reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Did a bit of book shopping today. Picked up:

Women Don't Owe You Pretty, Florence Given

Every Third Thought, Robert McCrum

The Chrysalids, John Wyndham

Frog Music, Emma Donoghue

The Women of Troy, Pat Barker

I'll start with Troy as soon as I've finished my current book, I absolutely loved The Silence of the Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Being The Supervet: How Animals Saved My Life by Noel Fitzpatrick

This book sees Noel chronicle his journey through a stressful overtreatment complaint review, recovery from a broken neck, the introduction of Ricochet into his life, his numerous challenging veterinary cases and his mental health struggles over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭KH25

With all buzz around the film, I decided to finally read Dune.

Same here it was a great read too. Getting through Messiah much slower now though

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I just finished rereading Salem's Lot on kindle, which also came with the two related short stories Jerusalem's Lot and One For The Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

Just finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. It was awful, am gutted as I loved Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement

The Darkness Echoing: Exploring Ireland's Places of Famine, Death and Rebellion by Gillian O'Brien

The author is a historian with a special interest in Ireland's Dark Toursim, e.g. Spike Island After Dark Tours, etc. I really enjoyed this book as O'Brien travels around Ireland visiting tourist sites, museums, prisons, forts, castles, battlesites and cemeteries. This book has definitely helped to add to number of places that I would like to visit.

Post edited by Tauriel on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished ‘The Bushwhacked Piano’ by Thomas McGuane there recently. Took me awhile to get into it but it really picked up in the second half. The haemorrhoid surgery part had me in stitches, rare that I would actually laugh out loud at a book.

Also got through ‘Wasp’ by Eric Frank Russell. An enjoyable read about a guy disguised and planted onto an alien world to wreck as much havoc as he can.

Starting into ‘Ghost Wall’ by Sarah Moss now. It’s about a family who spend a couple weeks with a group of students, and their professor, living like Iron Age people. It’s told from the perspective of the family’s teenage daughter. The dad is a prick.

Post edited by EmmetSpiceland on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have started Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman, a few musings of his on popular culture.

Women Talking by Miriam Toews. It's an imagined response to a real-life event, the repeated rape of pretty much every woman and child in an ultra-conservative religious colony in Bolivia over a number of years. The women were told it was Satan punishing them for their sins, when in reality it was a group of 11 men from the colony who were using animal sedatives to anaesthetise and then assault them.

It's tough going, I'm not going to lie. My rage levels are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My 12yr old son is military mad, and has started to take an interest in the Irish Defence Forces.

Would it be a suitable read for a youngster? Is there any adult themes or language?

There is a little bit of language and he does briefly mention how some operators he served with died (explosion and one poor fella from another country being hacked to death). He also mentions a civilian who was killed in an bombing in Afghanistan when he was there as a private contractor. He doesn't go into the gory details but could be upsetting for a child.

Also, he does discuss the babies that his wife and him lost so that could be upsetting for a child.

There is another book, Shadow Warriors: The Irish Army Ranger Wing by Paul O'Brien, which isn't written by ex-Rangers but goes into the history of the Wing. There isn't anything risky in that particular book that I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sally Rooney' s latest book, Beautiful World. I'm finding it a bit tough going, the charters are so one dimensional, pretentious and up their own you know what. At lot of emails between the two main characters going on about climate change, left wing politics and saving the world.

Now part of the problem is that I've also just started Shuggie Bains by Douglas Stuart which really couldn't be a more polar opposite book about a child growing up in the slums of Glasglow in 1980s/1990s with an parent who is an alcoholic.

I know its really not fair to be reading the two books together but really if the characters in Sally Rooneys novel represent the twenty somethings of today then god help us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just finished reading a collection of short stories by Alice Munro.

First time reading her, absolutely blew me away.

It's most likely just represents the people in Rooney's world and the people in Stuarts and is no true reflection on either generation as a whole

Thud by Terry Pratchett. Nearly finished so will dive straight into Snuff. The Watch series of books are some of my favourite books of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

About to start One Day , by David Nicholls , I think.

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

This was such an interesting read to see all of the sacrifices and the amount of dedication required to put yourself into the running for selection to Astronaut School, nevermind actually being selected to fly to space three times over your career. Whenever I have seen Hadfield on TV I always thought that he came across as a genuine nice guy and this book reinforces that belief.

Finished Women Talking last week, snuck in a quick re-read of Stephen King's Joyland for pleasure after such a stark subject, then started Emma Donoghue's Frog Music today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

D-Day by Stephen E Ambrose

Band of Brothers book by him is a great read too.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

^^ Yep, Band of Brothers is excellent.

Reading two books again:

Simon Winder, Danubia. A Personal History of Habsburg Europe: "plunges the reader into a maelstrom of alchemy, royalty, skeletons, jewels, bear-moats, unfortunate marriages and a guinea-pig village. Full of music, piracy, religion and fighting, it is the history of a strange dynasty, and the people they ruled, who spoke many different languages, lived in a vast range of landscapes, believed in rival gods and often showed a marked ingratitude towards their oddball ruler in Vienna."

Colson Whitehead, The Underground Railroad: "Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, this #1 New York Times bestseller chronicles a young slave's adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

The underground railroad is an outstanding book.

I have just bought the new Colson Whitehead book so looking forward to this.

Shuggie Bain is an unbelievable read, so heartbreaking but you can't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

With the band Genesis on tour for almost certainly the last time, I read Mike Rutherford's autobiography The Living Years. The title is from the Mike & the Mechanics song, and he does discuss his father a little in the book, but the book is understandably mostly about the band that made him his millions.

It's a fairly bland book in general, with some funny / WTF stories particularly from the early years when they really had it rough. One example is driving hundreds of miles to play a working man's club for not much money, then sleeping on the club changing room floor because they couldn't afford any hotels in those days. He admits to doing some dumb things, such as getting caught carrying "a square foot" of weed back from the USA through Heathrow, then lying about his criminal record whenever he went back to the USA over the following decades.

He's generally nice about everyone in the book, but with two occasional exceptions: Tony Banks and himself. For example, he says they were both thoughtless and insensitive about others such as Peter Gabriel, who (he says) was thinking about leaving the band to work in Hollywood, but wasn't exactly encouraged by the lack of sympathy when his newborn baby nearly died. Some of the things Mike says about Tony are the kinds of things you can imagine Tony saying about himself, comments on his quirks and personality, but there were reports that he was unhappy that Mike said them. He says worse things about himself, though and has mostly positive things to say about Phil Collins.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami

This is the fourth Murakami novel I've read after Norwegian Wood, Sputnik Sweetheart and Kafka on the Shore. The story is closer to the first two: a man who likes music and reading becomes a bit obsessed about a woman. There's also the usual nostalgia, uncanny coincidences and grievong. It's not a long book but it did take me a while to get into. Enjoying it now with about a hundred pages to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d go with ‘A Wild Sheep Chase’ and ‘Dance, Dance, Dance’ before moving onto ‘Hardboiled Wonderland’ and ‘Wind Up Bird Chronicle’ next.

After that you can go for the IQ84 books, and the rest. As long as you don’t get tired of playing “Murakami bingo”, which I never do.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement