Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Volunteer: The True Story of the Resistance Hero Who Infiltrated Auschwitz by Jack Fairweather

As the title states this book tells the true story of Witold Pilecki, a Polish resistance operative who deliberately allowed himself to be captured by the Nazi's for the purpose of gathering intel for the Polish resistance movement to pass onto the Polish government-in-exile and the allies. It's a very interesting read of man whom the Polish Communists subsequently executed and attempted to erase from history. Pilecki's story only came to light when the national archives finally became available after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The only gripe that I have with this book is the small font used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just finished Atomic Habits, very good. Also Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the book QT just released as a sort of addition to the film, which i love. Was an enjoyable book, he's not a great writer and the amount of second mentions is hilarious. Anyone else read it? He still manages to get his weird foot fetish into the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

The Forever War. Again from a recommendation on here and thanks to whoever recommended it, I really enjoyed it. Thought it aged so much better than The Stars my Destination.

The Great Cover-Up: The Truth About the Death of Michael Collins by Gerard Murphy

This book looks at whether Collins was unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time or if this was a well executed assassionation by opposing Treaty factions. This book does uncover who fired that fatal shot but does highlight some interesting findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've just started this, interesting characters, mothers seems loopy, I'll keep reading to get a better idea of what's going on.

• Advertisement

Shackleton's Boat Journey by F.A. Worsley

Worsley was the captain of the ill-fated Endurance during Shackleton's expedition to the Antarctic in 1914 and this is his account of the 18 months that the crew spent fighting for life in the inhospitable environment of the Antarctic. I enjoyed this very much but for anyone interested in giving this a read, do note that Worsley's account starts after the Endurance was crushed and sunk by the ice packs. I would recommend reading Alfred Lansing's Endurance first to get the whole picture of their journey including the construction of the Endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished The Nameless Ones by John Connolly the other day. Enjoyable enough but he's getting a bit painting-by-numbers for me, I think he needs to take a break from Charlie Parker and/or Louis and Angel for a while.

I started Stephen King's Billy Summers yesterday, I'm somewhere between a quarter and a third of the way through and I have to say, it's reminding me quite a bit of 11.22.63 with the whole "guy assumes a fake identity and has to try not to blow his cover while waiting to kill someone" shtick.

(And before anyone cries "spoilers", there's nothing there that you won't read on the back of either book.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've been busy this last while, but have a few books for the next few weeks, first up will be The Lady with the Little Dog and other stories, by Anton Chekhov

Finished Billy Summers. It was very meh. I didn't particularly care about any of the characters, which is unusual because say what you want about King, his characterisation is normally excellent.

Dunno what to read next. I still have a couple of dystopian novels in the TBR pile but not quite ready to go back into another load of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 peachesforme

I've started back on the Sergei Lukyanenko Watch series, they're entertaining and have a few funny moments in them, five books so far, think there's a sixth but will get it eventually. Into the third book, different pace to the first two as the main characters are fleshed out. Very enjoyable

Every few months I start going back over the Alistair Maclean novels, they're my go-to books - some less strong than others but all his ones relating to the sea/ships are as good as they get for that time/genre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Beauty and the Terror: An alternative history of the Italian Renaissance by Catherine Fletcher

Generally gripping account of a fascinating period, although at times the complexity of military/political developments gets too much

The Catalpa Rescue by Peter FitzSimons

I was absolutely hooked on this retelling of the daring prison escape of 6 Fenian soldiers from Fremantle Prison in Western Australia by a whaleboat. The book documents their activities in Ireland leading up to their arrest and subsequent transportation to one of the Penal Colonies, to the efforts by the IRB and Clan-na-Gael in America to raise the funds necessary to launch a prison break at the opposite side of the world and finally to the outcome of the breakout. It's a must read in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

There are some really good books out there on Antarctic exploration from that time. The Worst Journey In The World (Apsley Cherry Garrard) is well worth a read.

I'm reading the bible. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long long time but could never get far in before giving up and walking away from it. I started following a podcast in January to do it in a year and honestly it's the best thing I've ever done. I'd never have managed to get this far without the additional layer of explanation and it's based on the Jeff Cavins timeline so it reads like an extended version of Game of Thrones or uncut edition of LOTR. It runs at between 20-30mins a day and we're on day 234, so almost two thirds of the way through. Not going to lie, there are days when you have to push through each epsiode but then there's whole seasons of epic storylines and the character development is just unreal :)

Honest to God, someone needs to do a screen adaptation of the story of Absalom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Lies of Silence by Brian Moore. Read it when I was in 6th year for my leaving cert, and decided to pull it out again. It's a good read with some interesting complex characters. Very thought provoking as well as it is set in Belfast during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

All Things Made New: Writings on the Reformation

By Diarmaid MacCulloch

Very readable and insightful collection of essays and reviews

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I just started reading The Golden Age of Cork Cinemas by John McSweeney. Most of the old Cork cinemas had closed by the time I started going to the cinema and had been replaced by multiplexes. I knew most of the cinemas better as the pubs and nightclubs they had been converted to after. I would have loved to have seen a movie in The Savoy during its heyday.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

The Irishman: Frank Sheeran and Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa by Charles Brandt

(Originally published as "I Heard You Paint Houses")

It was interesting to read this confession of the notorious hitman utilised by the Italian mafia. Netflix turned this book into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just finished City Of God (translated from the Portuguese original). I loved the film (well worth a watch) but the book is a lot different. It jumps all over the place and has only a partially structured narrative - sometimes a random rape or murder involving characters never mentioned before or again is thrown in. Really enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Cult of We: WeWork and the Great Start-Up Delusion

I am about 50 percent of the way through it's a big oul book but really interesting. I didn't know an awful lot about the company let alone it's history, but it's a wild ride so far!

• Advertisement

16 Dead Men: The Easter Rising Executions by Anne-Marie Ryan

As you would expect, this book briefly chronicles the lighting of the nationalist fire in the 16 Easter Rising leaders that were executed up to there deaths. I enjoyed reading this.

Ranger 22: Lessons From The Front by Ray Goggins

Ray Goggins is a former Army Ranger in the Irish Defence Forces and the current chief instructor on Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week which airs on RTE. This book chronicles his life from starting out in the Irish Army, to joining the ARW, undergoing multiple training courses to be an effective operator to serving oversees as both a member of the Irish Defence Forces and a private contractor.

I really enjoyed this as it is both a humorous and honest account of both his successes and mistakes during his lifetime. It is also fascinating to be given a little more insight into the highly secretive ARW. Definitely up there as one of the best reads this year for me.

Read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson over the weekend. For her most critically acclaimed book it was fairly bog standard Jackon - "quirky" female characters are misunderstood by their neighbours, much navel-gazing ensues.

Started Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor yesterday. I'm only a couple of chapters in so still too early to say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Genghis khan and the making of the modern world, by Jack Weatherford.

I have meant to read this for the last 10 or so years, just kept forgetting to start. It takes what some may think is a contrarian approach to the history of the Mongol empire and expansion. It turns the traditional view of Mongol hordes on its head and presents a well evidenced thesis that, quite the opposite to the European and Islamic powers of the time. That the Mongol empire was religiously permissive and socially adaptable. From Genghis Khan's abandonment of the Steppe aristocratic system in favour of a meritocracy. To the integration and promotion of conquered people's and allies (apart from the Han).

It also picks apart the myth of the 1241 and the Europeans turning back Mongol expansion. They didn't, the Mongols won decisively it Mohi and Legnica but a combination of factors, primarily the edge of the Steppe grasslands and the lack of pasture for the horses, and the death of Ogedei and the subsequent jostling for the Khanate.

The influence of 1241 and subsequent Mongol raids on Europe is outlined along with the reasons for the conquest itself halting at the edge of the Steppe.

Of particular interest is the power held by Mongol queen's/concubines and this is a matter of much discussion in this book. For a period of perhaps 20yrs women held the centre of the greatest Empire yet seen.

One of the things that did jump out to me from reading this book, are the similarities between the rise of Genghis and Mongols with the rise of Cyrus the Great and the Persian empire particularly regarding the meritocracy (tho the Mongols were far more in favour), religious toleration and the means of control adopted. Persians and Mongols often left ruling families in place with oaths and such.

A common theme of the Great Eastern empires? Would one count the Macedonians as eastern? Or just food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I read this a couple of months ago, greatly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've been reading Dune recently in preparation for the movie coming out and I've been thinking. These days you often hear criticism for Mary Sue characters. However, what is the definition for male characters who are portrayed equally the same? I remember when the Star Wars sequels came out and how many people hated the Rey character because some believe she was too much of a Mary Sue character. That being said, the character of Paul Atreides seems to possess Mary Sue traits in the sense that he is well above the level of a normal kid and moreso than a lot of adult characters as well. He's basically a Mentat with Bene Gesserit training. If he were a Jedi, he would already be a Jedi Master.

I guess since the book was written in 1965, Mary Sue wasn't really known at the time but it's something to think about next time someone has a go at a movie or book that has a strong female character.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I envy you your 1st read of this book tbh. It is still read about once a year by me and I am really looking forward to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Voyage of the Catalpa by (2003)Peter F Steven’s is also a great book, reads like a work of fiction

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

This was excellent and a very poignant read, Apsley Cherry Garrard was one of the party that discovered Scott's body.

Quotes

• “Polar exploration is at once the cleanest and most isolated way of having a bad time which has been devised.”
    • And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a good deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement