Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm reading The Hustler by Walter Tevis at the moment. I have The Colour of Money lined up for after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭appledrop

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Just finished Milkman by Anna Burns lastweek. Thought it was fantastic. Now reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the end of the world by Murakami. Bit weird so far. It's my first Murakami novel. Read many short stories. I will stick with it.

It's mad how we all have different tastes. For me milkman was one of the worst books I have ever read!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have two books on the go - Sathnam Sanghera’s ‘Empireland’ about the legacy of imperialism in Britain. And James Meek’s ‘To Calais in Ordinary Time’, a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Lusitania Saga & Myth: 100 Years On by David Ramsay

Although I am very interested in the topic, I just found this book quite a slog to get through. It's not very long at just over 230 pages but with the writing being small and just the way the it was written, I just didn't enjoy this and I was expecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Born To Run by the brilliant Mr Springsteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

appledrop wrote: »
    It's mad how we all have different tastes. For me milkman was one of the worst books I have ever read!

I just thought it was excellent and I love the dystopian genre. I found it easy enough to follow and loved the Irishisms all over it. Irish writers are really unique in my opinion. I don't live in Ireland so lots of the language took me home. Yes it is basically Northern Ireland but it's very similar. Actually it is never even mentioned where it is but it has to be Ireland.

For me it gives vibes of 1984, Brave New World, Darkness at noon, blade runner etc. I understand why a lot of people didn't like it but it was the best novel I read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    I just thought it was excellent and I love the dystopian genre. I found it easy enough to follow and loved the Irishisms all over it. Irish writers are really unique in my opinion. I don't live in Ireland so lots of the language took me home. Yes it is basically Northern Ireland but it's very similar. Actually it is never even mentioned where it is but it has to be Ireland.

For me it gives vibes of 1984, Brave New World, Darkness at noon, blade runner etc. I understand why a lot of people didn't like it but it was the best novel I read in a long time.

Im confused is it set in NI during the troubles or somewhere very similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Im confused is it set in NI during the troubles or somewhere very similar ?

It doesn't specify. It could be anywhere. Israel/Palestine. South Africa. Iraq. But for sure it's inspired by NI. Like the author said she removed all names to make it more generic but for sure it is set in Belfast or Derry.

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Enjoying it so far as a fairly light read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Atomic Habits - James Clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Last Stop Auschwitz by Eddy de Wind

This is the only known book to have been written in Auschwitz and it details de Wind's trials and tribulations as he attempts to survive the Nazi death camp. The book chronicles his deportation from the Netherlands to Auschwitz and then the liberation of the camp by the Red Army.

de Wind was a doctor by trade and manages to secure himself a position in the camp hospital where conditions are much more favourable to the work groups. But de Wind was not sent alone to Auschwitz, his wife was deported with him and she has been assigned to the Block where the Nazi's perform sterilization experiments on women.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Win by Harlan Coben.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just finished Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, enjoyed it.
    Had never read it before, but remember seeing bits of the BBC programme many moons ago.

Now started Holes by Louis Sachar.
    Recommended it by my young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

4/5 through Prisoners of Geography. Interesting book about how politics in different parts of the world have been influenced by the Geography of them, and their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cj maxx wrote: »
    4/5 through Prisoners of Geography. Interesting book about how politics in different parts of the world have been influenced by the Geography of them, and their neighbours.

Meant to add I got it based on a suggestion from here , I think. Thanks.
    Right up my street:)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

American Dirt

Super thriller about a woman in the run with her son after her husband was murdered by a mobster.

Neames wrote: »
    American Dirt

Super thriller about a woman in the run with her son after her husband was murdered by a mobster.

A brilliant book, can't understand all the controversy over it.

A brilliant book, can't understand all the controversy over it.

Given that the criticism was that the characters and their lives were unrealistic and came across as written by someone who had no experience of Mexico or Mexicans you probably have to be Mexican yourself to pick up on it.

A bit like when we watch "Wild Mountain Thyme" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Atomic Habits - James Clear

Whats that like? I like the sound of the blurb but Im a bit too much of a cynic when it comes to self-help books, especially American ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sycamore Row by John Grisham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Thanks to whoever recommended it on here. Some of it very of it’s time but basic premise is fantastic. Would love to see it as a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats that like? I like the sound of the blurb but Im a bit too much of a cynic when it comes to self-help books, especially American ones.

I love this thread and thanks for all the recommendations.
    But I think posters should add an opinion to help others in making a decision rather than just naming a book you are reading or have finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I love this thread and thanks for all the recommendations.
    But I think posters should add an opinion to help others in making a decision rather than just naming a book you are reading or have finished.

Most people do, in fairness.

Anyway, recent reads from me:

Dark Matter, Michelle Paver. A ghost story set in the Arctic in 1937. Enjoyable enough and mostly well-written, but it wasn't scary and the ending felt very rushed. I can't say I'd read it again and I re-read pretty much everything.

The Silent Companions, Laura Purcell. A fairly paint-by-numbers Gothic horror. I don't know why I keep buying Gothic horrors because the lack of agency of the female characters always annoys me. I mean, I totally get that it's intentional and a function of the temporal setting, but they still always get on my wick.

The Lamplighters, Emma Stonex. Another atmospheric creepy tale about a group of lighthouse keepers who disappear into thin air from an offshore tower. I enjoyed more as a lighthouse procedural, tbh, as my Dad used to work for Irish Lights.

I'm currently reading Four Tales by Philip Pullman, which is a collection of original fairy tales, I'm only one in so far.

After that, it'll be Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam.

I also recently re-read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which I spend a couple of weeks doing every couple of years.

The Education of an Idealist, Samantha Power. Only just started so it’s only getting going, but it’s good so far; the next few chapters deal with her experiences in the Balkans conflict in the 1990s which kind of made her name in foreign policy circles, so I’m sure that’ll be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Haven't posted here in ages, but I'm in hospital, so I guess I have a bit more free time on my hands.

I'm pretty sure both these books I got from the library based on recommendations from here.

"Pizza Girl" by Jean Kyoung Frazier. Nice short read. Good. Sad but funny. Different to what I expected!! Probably 7/10, worth a read. I like books where they don't try to make you feel overly sympathetic towards the narrator - she is who she is, flawed, human, very vulnerable.

"The Pull Of The Stars" by Emma Donoghue. About three quarters through this, and it's sooooo good. Best Irish book I've read in a while. Really interesting seeing how the pandemic affected people back then, similarities and differences to now. I wonder if Covid had started while she was still writing it... I don't want to Google in case I accidentally spoil anything for myself!! For some reason, I keep thinking as I'm reading it, it would work incredibly well as a play?!

Dunno what's next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Caroleia wrote: »
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Thanks to whoever recommended it on here. Some of it very of it’s time but basic premise is fantastic. Would love to see it as a film.
    Read it as a child and still fantasise about being able to Jaunt 20 years later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Russian Roulette: The Life and Times of Graham Greene by Richard Greene

Never a dull moment in this guy's long life, to the point where a 500-page biography seems a bit rushed. Still throws some new light on Greene's incessant travels and involvement in international affairs.

Haven't posted here in ages, but I'm in hospital, so I guess I have a bit more free time on my hands.

I'm pretty sure both these books I got from the library based on recommendations from here.

"Pizza Girl" by Jean Kyoung Frazier. Nice short read. Good. Sad but funny. Different to what I expected!! Probably 7/10, worth a read. I like books where they don't try to make you feel overly sympathetic towards the narrator - she is who she is, flawed, human, very vulnerable.

"The Pull Of The Stars" by Emma Donoghue. About three quarters through this, and it's sooooo good. Best Irish book I've read in a while. Really interesting seeing how the pandemic affected people back then, similarities and differences to now. I wonder if Covid had started while she was still writing it... I don't want to Google in case I accidentally spoil anything for myself!! For some reason, I keep thinking as I'm reading it, it would work incredibly well as a play?!

Dunno what's next on my list.

Get well soon. I was a bit disappointed by ending of Pull of the Stars but that's just personal preference.

Just started reading Listening Still by Anne Griffin.

I adored the 1st book and liking this one so far even though I wasn't sure about idea of someone who can hear dead people, but she is an amazing writer.

The Testaments : Margaret Atwood

Really enjoying it and am flying through it so far. If your into dystopian sci-fi its well worth a read but if that's not your thing and you approach it looking for a book about a window into current society I think you will be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Get well soon. I was a bit disappointed by ending of Pull of the Stars but that's just personal preference.

Me too - I hated everything that happened towards the end, it just didn't feel right or make sense! Serves me right for posting and saying it was great before I even finished it. :D

Advertisement