Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Wearing masks or social distancing or similar measures during a pandemic have nothing to do with politics, it's about preventing the spread of an airborne disease. Calling it "state fascism" is hysterical nonsense. Reducing the spread of the virus reduces the number of people who catch the disease which reduces deaths from the disease.

If "something" is going on here, you should be able to articulate and demonstrate it, if you can't, and in it's place you just make vapid comments and insults, then it's completely evident to everyone you have nothing of substance to add, so there's nothing to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sure. The second you go back and prove your last claim that asymptomatic infection doesn't exist.

I'll wait.

Lol. Another adorable insult.

"King Kong Mobster". So cute.

The failed constitutional challenge indicates it was both completely legal and not remotely treasonous. And in terms of lockdown killing more than it's saved, most families in the country were hit directly when we loosened up guidelines too much at Christmas. So your vague proclamations aren't remotely credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Yeah dude, I for one, need to see the government memos detailing the conspiracy. I want to see names, dates, timelines, action plans, emails, the works.

If you're going to post a theory in a forum called "Conspiracy Theories" on some random internet board, the least you should be able to do is have access to highly classified documents from the most powerful and obtuse organisations on the planet. Otherwise, you're just a nutter.

Sorry kid, nothing personal. *Tips Fedora*

• Advertisement

I implied no such thing. It's something you inferred, but that's not something I can control.

And as I said in my previous post, I don't know where the line is as I'm not an expert. Not sure why you're asking again.

Also, I have no memory of talking with you before, so I'm not sure why you are accusing me of thinking everything is a conspiracy.

You keep accusing me of things I did not say or claim. You keep applying believes to me I do not hold.

I'm not all that arsed to pick through your rambling wall of text to correct all of them.

You agree that none of the measures are permanent. Cool. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its a post where Richie didn't mention "junta" "totalitarianism" "treason" or "facism".

Its a definite improvement. Maybe in a weeks time when he comes back he could actually answer a question?

lol is this an attempt at humor?

Dohnjoe asked for none of those things.

He just asked for conspiracy theorists to articulate the conspiracy theory and show why they believe it.

Do you think this is impossible for conspiracy theorists to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

Surely you realize that when governments become totalitarian, they don't just go on TV and tell the people, "We're gonna be bad guys now, here's the list of new draconian rules". It's done slowly and they sell each new rule as though it's for the people's own good.

Your text messages, emails, metadata everything about you has been recorded by the British and US governments, which is fine because it's keeping you safe from those nasty terrorists, and its working too, I haven't been involved in a terrorist attack since, its great.

We were literally locked down in our houses, told where we can and can't go, told what we can and can't buy and people are being punished for not taking drugs the government say they should take in some Countries.

Just look at China, recently they produced loads of new rules on what times people can play video games, how people can act on TV, banning this that and the other, but it's never about being draconian, it's always for the people's own good.

I'm not saying we're heading for a totalitarian regime, I'm just playing devils advocate here and pointing out that if it ever did happen, this is what it looks like, it will be for "our own good".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think you misunderstand what an online troll is. If you need clarification, then you should really read your own posts.

• Advertisement

Yes pretty much.

Some things are only provable after the fact.

If you see a sketchy guy outside your house who's acting very suspiciously, checking windows etc do you call the police or not?

My reasoning is "If he looks like a burglar, and acts like a burglar, in circumstances that one might find a burglar, its at least a working theory that this guy may be a burglar and we should be accordingly cautious and call the guards".

He may be a burglar or he may not be a burglar.

I mean you've no evidence that the guy is going to break into your house. He's in the vicinity.... so? He's looking in your windows....who knows to what purpose? Maybe he's a maintenance guy? You don't have access to his texts where written evidence might be obtained so your "theory" that this guy might be up to no good is just that. A theory.

So in your reasoning on this forum, you cannot call the gardai because he's done nothing wrong. In fact, given that he hasn't entered your house just yet means you're slandering him.

And now the issue is not that there's a suspicious guy outside your house, its that you're slandering an innocent man's good name.

You and your gang basically act like noone has the right to posit the theory that this guy may be a burglar because there's no explicit proof of it. And proceed to barrage and name call anyone who holds that view.

You destroy discourse and demand the impossible. Even with the sacred "facts" from "verifiable sources" are presented to you, you ignore or silence them.

I tried to post an article from the Irish independent about a settlement between a victim of the Swine Flu vaccine and Glaxo Smith Kline and was told to "take that nonsense over to Conspiracy Theories" by the Mod.

I mean, a link to factual report on actual court events in the Irish Justice system got me warned in no uncertain terms that I'd be banned.

So ye won't accept theories and ye won't accept facts.

My question is simply this. Why?

Why is it so important to you guys that the government, Big Pharma, and Big Tech are the good guys? Why are ye acting as their foot soldiers, defending them from scrutiny, from questioning of their actions or motives? What's in it for you? You're here every day so what exactly is it you want to achieve? Dream scenario what would you like this forum to become? One where the official narrative is never questioned on anything ever? Seems like it to me but for the life of me I don't understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not particularly serious!!

June 21st 2021, within 15 months the U`S Covid deaths surpassed the 405,399 total U.S. deaths during World War 2. But then in your head that war probably wasn`t particularly serious or dangerous either.

The funny thing is, I can confidently say that no poster who is refuting poorly thought out conspiracy theories views either big tech or pharma as good guys. However the conspiracy theories manage to muddy the water to the point where it's avoiding actually discussing the unethical practices they engage in. Like in this case, it's rarely clear what the conspiracy is, what it's end goal is and the goal posts shift when it never comes to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Right, you aren't saying we're heading for a totalitarian regime, but you're line by line producing the kind of simplistic paranoid guff and lazy generalisations we endlessly hear from the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and Alex Jones.

Reality is complex, it's not some infantile black/white narrative where the "good guys are secretly bad", and when it comes to this pandemic, independent sovereign nations have made their own decisions on the best way to combat it - it's no coincidence that many have shared the same approach. It hasn't been perfect of course, mistakes have been made, a complex balance is involved, but largely we are dealing with the pandemic. Little or none of which has anything to do with your personal 1984 style musings.

If people have a conspiracy, cool, but if they can't even explain what it is, or give a single suspect, or give basic details, then what's the discuss. Worse, how does someone so fervently believe in something they can't articulate or support in any way? Doesn't make any logical sense.

Likewise the "I can't provide 100% proof" line is nonsense, I have provided details/timelines/evidence for conspiracies in here, it's up to others to decide if they have any merit, I don't go on some tantrum about being asked questions or play the age-old trick of pretending that all evidence is magically kept under wraps in yet another conspiracy.

What theories?

Just because you can cherry-pick some isolated case from the past or something happened during the Cold War doesn't mean some vast systematic conspiracy is occurring that no one can see except a bunch of people on the internet who can't explain what it is.

If you have something specific to say about the pandemic, spit it out and say it.

(Also just because someone doesn't subscribe to a particular world view doesn't mean they aren't critical of the government, health systems, large corporations, etc, the two aren't mutually exclusive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No it doesn't. All it indicates is that an absolute clown like Gemma O'Doherty shouldn't have been taking the constitutional challenge when she wasn't even prepared to do the necessary research etc. for the case, and effectively ruined things for everyone. It doesn't alter the fact that it is unconstitutional; unlawful; illegal; totalitarian, and Treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Given that we don't measure deaths associated with any other disease in the same way as we measure "COVID deaths" that remains hyperbolic nonsense, and the shite of a bull.

We do measure deaths from other diseases.

Again, do you have anything of substance to add, what measures will be permanent or why? Or any actual conspiracy?

• Advertisement

So in your opinion but completely unproven alongside your hyperbolic view that deaths are gonna be higher from the lockdown. So far, you're seeming like you're only expressing views that you can't actually back up.

If I have something specific to spit it out just say it? I'd love to, but I've just explained that posting a link to an article detailing not opinion, not conjecture, but actual factual events from the Irish court system, published in a national newspaper 3 days ago, got the post deleted and the threat of a ban if I reposted it.

You're saying "play ball and stop bitching" but when I try to take a shot on goal the ref gives me a yellow card and tells me I'll get red if I try it again.

And this hilariously biased situation will be defended vigorously and no doubt someone will be along to tell me to go home and cry to my mommy about it.

As I said, ye won't accept theories and ye won't accept facts, but we're the one's degrading the discussion.

Anyway That's my contribution for another month. Posting on this board is like smoking - corrosive, so I gotta keep it to a minimum

I asked you before, seeing that you think you are an expert. How did your constitutional challenge go?

I’d say this question will go unanswered.

No, you gave your version of something I have no proper context to. It could have been pulled for any number of reasons.

"If I have something specific to spit it out just say it? I'd love to"

Great, let's hear it (without a list of excuses) I'm all ears.

Here's what I tried to post and was told to take it over to this forum as this article is apparently "antivax nonsense".

Let's see if it stays up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

What has this story about a swine flu jab got anything to do with all covid measures are going to be permanent?

What measures are permanent and why?

it's a nice sentiment, but you seem to gloss over a lot of things....

-British and US governments are not the only governments doing mass surveillance, are they the most reaching, yes, is it a problem, yes.. funnily enough, it's their democracy basis which has highlighted their capability, where more draconian countries just outright deny any capability.... it's relevance to this argument though? I'm not sure.... You can walk around the UK and US pretty easy compared to Ireland's in regards to the pandemic

-I have numerous anti vax friends who have been living as normal a lockdown life in Dublin can be.... there are a lot of people who like to argue otherwise... I quite frankly think they just don't leave their PC to find out themselves

-China is China....no body wants to be China.... comparing China to a western country is apples and oranges

two points you fail to recognise

-Ireland has a crap health system, this is the sole valid reason for preventative measures... you can harp on all you want about the government "wanting to control us".... fix that and you have no need for preventative measures... simple, the UK, France and Germany are perfect examples of this

-Being part of the EU, it's often looked at through Nigel Farage glasses that the EU are these big bad bossy people..... but at the end of the day, it's their human rights and freedom of movement laws which are point and case why all EU member states have to put an expiry date on all enacted lockdown measures, and why any extension is now again scrutinised at international level (yes this was suspended for a time last year before you try and undercut with that argument)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Outside of the noise in your own head you really do not have a clue have you ?

Have you even heard of a Death Notification Form ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You forgot to add "In my opinion ..." at the start of your last sentence there, as nothing you've said is fact other than Gemma being a clown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement