Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well after 900 years, who's to say he's not a cross breed? I'm not in this to tear the show to shreds until its cancellation and expulsion from Canon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Evade

They haven't announced he is like they did with the Cardassian/Bajoran/Human.

You know what, I give up. It's not a great show but I can't tolerate having every attempt to find silver linings completely destroyed. I just can't understand that mindset.

A Reman!!!! They look like the bastard child of a Ferengi and Reman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, I gave this show a longer shake than others; but by now there are too many small, silly oddities on-top of the more egregious problems with the show. Seeing a Ferenghi in nu-Trek is cool, but the design itself just doesn't sit right with me. Too much changed from the familiar design; similar to the whole Klingon debacle from Season 1.

• Advertisement

I wasn't even against the Klingon changes, in fact I liked them, but the Ferengi were some of the better prosthetics, of TNG era. Very little SHOULD have been needed

You couldn't even oomox ears like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,927 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ive tried being honest about the show and calling out it's good and bad equally but that season 4 trailer is a horrible montage of everything Discovery does wrong.

Yes it could be a mixed race Ferengi or a deformed one or some ethnicity of Ferengi we have not seen before but we won't know that unless Disco shows him with other Ferengi and Disco does not have a good reputation for this.

As stated in a post above I get some of the changes over the years especially to the aliens that were nothing more than blue paint or funny mustaches but this doesn't bring the Ferengi look forward one bit. It's just Fking with someone's work for the sake of it and for some reason keeps reminding me of when the took David Prowse out of the end or RotJ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That fake Ferengi looks like something from a cheap B movie or maybe from Farscape not that I have anything against Farscape it had some great Aliens but thus does not look like Star Trek at least out Prime Universe Star Trek at all. Only just goes to confirm that Discovery is in an Alternate Iniverse be it the JJ one or another one and you can say what you like but to me it's not in the Prime Universe.

Not far off with Farscape or one of those Sci-fi channel shows. I keep thinking Magog from Andromeda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Or the ferengi attitudes towards women have changed enough in 900 years to attract females of another species and he is the product of such a union .

*Edit. I see it's been mooted as a possibility already. With the new layout I mistakenly thought I was on final page and having an original thought. Le sigh

Still looks cheap, generic and crap though like our Reman friend Cdr. Nosferatu posted above.

Messing with a good design and only making it worse is not good TV making

Possible, but they probably would have announced it like the other mixed race character and it's not like Ferengi had trouble attracting some women of other species in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Whatever about being generic or crap, its no cheaper then the original Ferengi prosthetics. Just less familiar.

But with the original Ferengi no one was going on about how they looked like generic XYZ. It's pretty common with Discovery recently with set, uniforms etc. like those grey uniforms that looked like they were lifted from any number of cheaper sci-fi. Same goes for the new Starfleet/Galaxy Quest ships

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Star Trek has come through so many iterations at this stage that people will tolerate quite a lot in a new show. Discovery is not delivering enough to keep people interested and while it might pick up new fans, those more familiar with the history of Star Trek and the various versions of it are a lot harder to please. It has settled into a groove that many just do not like and for the most part does that quite badly too. 

Someone on another forum just reminded me that Tilly was made first officer.

IIRC that was the point me and also a lot of the older Trek very pro Disco fans finally snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I presume the new threat to the galaxy is a result of someone grieving on a planet somewhere that requires love, friendship and happiness to prevail to yet again save the day.

Once that being is no longer sad then the new threat will also disappear all thanks to the people from centuries ago arriving on their ancient ship that in no way would have realistically been upgraded to modern standards.

It's Burnham's dad crying out for his family from some ship stuck in a space magic thing.

Either that or a message in a bottle probe left by Spock for Burnham that Vygered somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like it could be the worst season yet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If Discovery was a Formula 1 fan, their favourite driver would be Lewis Hamilton.

Yes but at least we are here for each other, facing it togetherrrrrrrrrrr

You think that's bad. On lower decks an Ensign who should have been kicked out of Starfleet after nearly scalding captain Picard is now a captain herself in a huge first contact flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭pah

I'm really looking forward to this, it's going to be awful.

Ya but one is a cartoon which I don't consider to actually be part of the continuity same as I don't think Starfleet makes people sleep in corridors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

God forbid you'd ever make a mistake. An ensign really embarrassed herself, make a mistake, probably learned a valuable lesson, went up the ranks and became a very capable officer. Do not see the problem with it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Yeah, saying an ensign spilling a drink on their captain is grounds to be drummed out of Starfleet is really reaching. It's the "worse episodes of Star Trek exist therefore STD is good actually" line of thinking.

To defend STD slightly rapid promotions exist in Star Trek, Riker was offered his first command within 7 years of graduating which a classmate of his took up when he turned it down, but making first officer (and presumably commander/lieutenant commander) within 2 years is a little too rapid. Operations officer or Chief of Security/Tactical (which would be hilarious) would be more suitable.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough, watched the scene just there. In her defence Stupid place for a food replicator in the first place.

All I ask here is we be a bit consistent around here. That the same rules for Ensign Tilly apply to Ensign Nog or Ensign Kim or Ensign Tendi.

Advertisement