Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

If you don't go through with the order then you dont know if they will supply. They have an exptensive help section dealing with "where is my order?" for orders that are not fulfilled.

Irrespective of any individual restaurant, the company that supplies the chicken has stated that they have extensive difficulties Price of chicken set to rise, UK's largest supplier warns - BBC News

It is real head in the sand stuff, Padraig, to deny what the BBC , the Guardian, and business people in the UK are stating clearly, and that is the Brexit is having a negative affect on the greater economy.

On a very different matter, Brexit has had a serious affect on relationships between the UK and it's neighbours in Europe, not least herein Ireland. It is hard to believe that it is only about ten years ago that we were celebrating the warm relationships following the Queens visit here and Michael D. Higgins visit to the UK. That the Tánaiste felt the need to warn about the behaviour of the UK government (unnecessary really as world leaders have already seen how untrustworthy they are) indicates a new low in relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

Where is your evidence that Brexit is already affecting the greater economy ?

The economic data since January doesn't appear to show this but at the moment it is impossible to strip out Brexit from the devestating impact Covid has had on the UK and all other economies.

It may in the future when Covid ramifications have eased but at the moment it just seems to be Remainers jumping on any bit of news to say " hah, told you so."

Let's look at your story about chicken prices " set to rise " a massive 10% , partially as a result of Brexit but also because of many other factors.

In the United States the wholesale price of chicken has risen 61% in the last year. Hello Covid ...

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_chicken_wholesale_price_georgia_dock

One day it's chicken shortages.The next it's panic buying of fuel and by the end of the week the headlines dry up and the Brexit-haters search for another morsel to chew on.

And the thing is the voters see this happening and are not fooled by it.

Those pesky opinion polls again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's very easy to strip out Brexit from Covid because only Great Britain have Brexit and are also the only ones have these major problems with things like fuel shortages, fast food restaurants closing due to lack of food, hospitality restricting opening hours due to lack of staff, pig culling due to lack of staff, rotting veg due to same.

It's not happening all over Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Next personal comment will result in a siteban. Use the report function if you have a problem. Post removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The problem of HGV driver shortages are Europe-wide.

Here's the excellent Ros Atkins from the BBC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1436216821779161090?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1436216821779161090%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Ffood-shortages-bbc-brexit-covid_uk_613b2efae4b0dda4cbcd70b3

Stock shortages ? They're a global issue.Mr Atkins again.

There's no doubt Brexit has aggravated some supply issues but it's important to put them into context and, as has been shown upthread, most Brits don't appear to be suffering any serious problems on a regular basis.

A cheeky Nandos is still on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

There's an awful lot of stuff being pulled into this thread as proof of various sides of the argument. Opinion polls of the political parties in the UK is not a referendum on the benefits of Brexit. The current opposition parties are in a very poor state, they don't actually offer anything; labour offer loads of infighting, much of it between people that vast swathes of the electorate would find deplorable, the lib dems after the last election debacle, and their stint as Tory Bum boys in Government make them unelectable.

In a country where coalitions are close to unthinkable, no opposition party offers the potential to win an election. With Scotland gone for Labour, they might never be in a position to win an overall majority again.

Similarly with currency's the rate of Sterling against any other currency at any time is related to how the currency markets see both currencies performing relative to each other in the short term. Again the market is not making a judgement on one issue, it's where they are allocating their funds in the short term. If the GBP is strong it reflects as much on the lack of belief in other currencies. Right now the prospects of central banks easing financial stimulus, or rising interest rates are moving financial markets way more than any single government policy.

On Nando's, did they announce closing some shops temporarily because of a shortage of chicken two months or so ago? Thought they said staff were to be redeployed to a chicken processing unit????

To add a lighter note; anyone old enough to remember a movie; letter to Breschnev (spelling??) one of the lead characters had very harsh opinions on working in a chicken processing unit. Was something like sticking her hand up 800 chicken a**s a day, she deserved to go out and get p*****d at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Here's the link to Nando's closing some outlets back in August;

The article suggests it's both Covid and Brexit related.

I notice time and again you go back to the HGV driver shortage in other countries and also the stock shortages but they are worse in Britain and I don't even know why you are trying to argue it when you admit Brexit is aggravating it which means Brexit is part of the problem.

You always come back to the HGV but I also notice.

You always side step the pig culling and the veg pickers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Serious weapon grade Kremlin-style propaganda going on here from this poster.

If lack of fuel availability, high inflation, empty shelves, supply chains severely disrupted, businesses closing due to the labour shortages, agricultural production dropping and rotting... all are not a serious issue, then I don't know what is.

None of that bar inflation goes on in Europe/EU.

Utterly despicable disinformation and manipulation suggesting that the EU is essentially going through the same as the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

And those pouring milk down the drain and the super expensive CO2 etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Turkey regarding its collapsing currency and resultant self inflicted economic difficulties says: "things may not be great here - but we are nowhere near as bad as things are in brexit Britain".

Kinda sums things up nicely really.

Production at two plants that produce 60% of the UK’s food-grade supply of the gas were closed down due to a massive rise in global wholesale gas prices - up 250% since January with a 70% rise since August.

They were re-opened after the Government stepped in with short-term subsidies but will only stay open after their customers agreed to absorb the price rises.

Another scare story that has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

Why didn't they import from Belgium, NED or Germany like they often used to ?

Why did CO2 producers in other countries not shut down ?

Why are British ( not UK as NI is doing fine ) companies destroying livestock, milk and veg ?

Thanks for your little lecture there. Obviously I’m a complete idiot and know nothing about the are I spent years studying.

I don’t know why I even bother using this stupid site anymore. It’s devolved into something like the comments section on some newspaper.

Enjoy your Brexit! I really don’t care anymore.

Circular arguments … over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@Padraig178 wrote:

I think you'd soon notice if there were shortages of essential items. I asked one poster on here about the situation in the UK and he reported that in his area London there were hardly any. I mentioned a few days ago friends of mine in the North-West said they hadn't seen any. Another poster who lived in the UK also chimed in to say they hadn't any either.

Now you can either believe those people or produce alternative evidence suggesting they're outliers.

Either way there does not appear to be widespread shortages of food or fuel in the UK at the moment. Christmas may well tell a different story and then perhaps the Tories lead in the polls might drastically shorten.

I live in South Yorkshire and have done for over a decade. There have been and still are ongoing shortages of both items and "essential items" going on and have been going on for quite some time. My other half routinely has her medical prescription order delayed and delayed because the medicines just are not in stock but you won't hear much about that in the newspapers until it is something dramatic like cancer drugs for hospitals being affected or a rationing of consumables used for taking blood samples due to covid testing demand. Does that mean that there are no shortages because you personally are not hearing about shortages Padraig?

I have noticed more and more empty shelving space developing over time at my local supermarket where previously that was not the case. Foodstuffs that are routinely out of stock these days; lactose-free milk (due to lack of delivery drivers according to Tesco staff), frozen chicken, more and more potato-based frozen stuff, and oft rather bare looking pasta/pasta sauce shelves. To add to all of that, there have been wholesale price increases across the board with prices rounding up, or special deals no longer being offered to save money, etc. along with some foodstuffs seeing sharp jumps in price like fish; for example a 180g Tesco pack of sliced Scottish Salmon was £2 and is now £3. Cartoons of Tesco Orange Juice have gone from £2.50 to £3, and a lot of other pricing follows similar suit. Things that were £0.90 are now £1, etc. etc.

Fuel? Back to normal for now although it was utterly f*cked for over two weeks where I am. I saw several large forecourts closed during the middle of a Saturday with no operating pumps and I know several work colleagues & neighbours who have had to spend time driving for quite some time to find forecourts with fuel supplies. On top of that the prices jumped upwards of 4p (at the cheapest end of the scale) overnight as garages took advantage. The issue with the fuel shortage was never the actual stocks of fuel in the country, it was distribution due to a lack of drivers. All because some stupid Tory plank stood up in front of a tv camera talking about how there is no need to panic.

Meanwhile the electric and gas supply prices have gone bonkers.

All hail Brexit; such a roaring success ...

Edit: forgot to mention the ongoing difficulty all year getting PC components; some of which I am still waiting for 8 months later. A miserable £9 part and all ... hardly "essential items" but when yuo cannot complete a PC build because of said parts they start to look pretty essential. Also the jump in bicycle & component part prices due to good old brexit. Again none of this will make the papers because it's niche stuff. But the shortages & price hikes are all there in black & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Name five ways people's lives in the UK have improved considerably as a result of the vote to Leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Tbh, if there is even one I'll be amazed.

If there was one the the Brexiteers would be put singing about, like they disingenuously did about the vaccines.

Of course if one accepts that Brexit was the reason behind the early vaccines success, then it follows that Brexit must be the cause of the current slow performance.

All the Brexiteers have left is trying to argue that Brexit isn't the cause of all the bad things happening.

Looking in from the outside, I'm struggling to see even one.

Pay rises for "some" HGV drivers is an irrelevance - are there even 100k British born drivers working in the industry? All I can see is negatives, drawbacks, hassle and shortages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If only there was some control group to see what the UK would be like without Brexit.

Oh look, no carbon dioxide shortage in Northern Ireland, petrol stations didn't run out etc.

The downside is that they'll be able to eat chilled British emulsified high fat offal tubes again.

Most of the population of NI can claim dual UK - EU citizenship if they choose. So this is the EU giving itself concessions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course there's no obvious upside to Brexit, because this is why the conversation has pivoted to desperately trying to claim it's all "too soon" to know for sure; or hiding behind CoVid and the global supply chain issues; or trying to self destruct the NI Protocol because a prosperous North makes the whole enterprise look as ludicrous as it always has been. We knew the moment Reese Mogg claimed there'd be no benefits seen for 50 years this was a bluff, and shocking dereliction of duty towards a nations success. A country at odds with its status in the world making a wild swing for "sovereignty" rather than accept its place as another small cog in a bigger machine than itself.

A key point here is that if Brexit is eventually exposed as an utter failure and a disaster, the architects and the millions of Brexit disciples who insisted on imposing their Brexit on the UK will just do a runner, David Cameron style, and claim it had nothing to do with them.

One more time - prices of gas and electricity have nothing to do with Brexit. Steep rises this winter are a Europe-wide problem.

www.cnbc.com/2021/10/05/gas-price-surges-to-a-record-high-in-europe-on-supply-concerns-.html

This kind of answers really shows all you need to know.

And every country in Europe had to call army trucks in to get petrol to stations?

Or kill their livestock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭moon2

Nothing to do with Brexit, except for the fact it's actually made substantially worse by Brexit. Like most of your arguments.

These high prices are due to the trading arrangements as a result of Brexit,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

"One more time" - and electrical prices? Your link addresses gas only.

Electricity prices in Europe have soared this year due to a number of factors, including increased heating demand due to cold winters, a rise in natural gas and coal prices, and a drop in wind power generation due to lack of wind. In July most countries in the EU experienced a 18-month-long record in wholesale prices. Ireland recorded the highest figure in the region, at 143.47 euros per megawatt hour.

However back in May, after Brexit, UK gas and electricity prices compared very favourable with Europe and were lower than Ireland's.

https://www.businesselectricityprices.org.uk/europe/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh for sure. If in 5, 10 years the country somehow extricated itself from this mess, it'll be a small miracle of the most vulnerable escape with minor burns; the only guarantee is, as you say, that the chief architects or Brexit will have moved onwards rich and broadly unaffected by the fallout. Indeed the opposite, I suspect pockets will have lined and Disaster Capitalism proven a success.

Advertisement