Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tory MP stabbed to death while conducting surgery for constituents

Comments

Crazy, what was the motive I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That MP must have upset the attacker in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Penn

May not have been the MP himself, but just due to Government decisions/policies. Hard to know at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wow. Poor guy. Not a nice way to go.

Wonder what the fcuk caused it.

Regardless of your political beliefs, no one deserves this.

RIP

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

He died? Jeez, this is not good. Second British MP to be murdered in the course of performing their work in last 5 years.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He was a staunch Eurosceptic and Brexiteer, so wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow related to that.

If it is, then that would be two elected officials whose lives have been lost by a populist box-ticking exercise.

It's a disgrace regardless if this happening to any elected official. Hope whoever carried it out is caught. Domestic terrorism at its finest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He had numerous strong views with people with equally strong opposite views; some contrary to what you'd expect from someone on the right of the Tories. Nothing that should ever lead to being murdered, but if it was based on his views it may not have been Brexit related.

They have the guy who did it, only 25.

That's so fucked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Horrific news.

And as pointed out, second time in 5 years it has happened in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He was a staunch Eurosceptic and Brexiteer, so wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow related to that

There is no other way to take that comment but anything other than the assailant at least had an excuse and your latter comments don't take away from that either.

And if this is actually the case, can we say that Labour's Angela Rayner who only a few weeks ago called the Tory's 'Scum' is in part responsible in the same way when Jo Cox was murdered it was blamed in part on the Tory's Brexit campaign which David Arronovitch of The Times said 'emboldened extremism'. Yes I think we can.

Awful news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

The woman mp that was stabbed before, was that a pro Brexit head that killed her?

I wasn't trying to excuse anybody, and I also called the murder of an elected representative domestic terrorism, because that's exactly what it is.

You make this another one of those pointless tit-for-tat right-wing vs left-wing threads all you want but you'll be on your own there my friend.

Going out to kill an elected representative is a slippery slope for democracy. You can take whatever you want but I wont be engaging in your faux-outrage-induced mickey swinging contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The motive here and even more importantly the reaction of the Tory Government are vital to ensuring a continuing and functioning Democracy in the UK IMO.

1. Is this a politically motivated attack?

2. Was it a mental health breakdown?

3. If it is political, was the motive left wing or right wing?

4. If the motivation was left wing? Was it a blow against a perceived nascent Tory perpetual government, what was the trigger how can it be countered? There are already significant concerns re: the new Tory voting bill and restrictions that some on the fringe left see as a power grab. If this was the motivation? What is the reaction?

5. If the motivation was right wing? What further steps is the perpetrator hoping to achieve? Is his attack a blow against a government he believes isn't being aggressive or proactive enough in securing the Union, being British, protecting borders and being Uber Brexity?

The reaction to any of the potential scenarios is something that needs to be measured and cautious. Any kneejerk of restrictions or additional legislation could do damage to what is already a delicate political balance in the UK IMO.

There is a real danger of an incompetent Tory administration attempting to spin this attack into a Reichstag moment and whilst the murder of any Public Representative is a tragedy. It must not be used as fuel for a moral panic and power grab.

I also find it quite troubling that in the time of "Brexit" since 2014, 2 sitting MPs have been murdered, versus 4 in the entirety of the troubles when HMG and Tory and Unionist MPs in particular were targets of paramilitaries.

RIP to Sir David Amess and I do hope that this doesn't signal a restriction of British democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RIP to the MP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

With the carry on at the moment in Ireland it is a case of not if but when is someone going to kill a TD. People are obsessed about them and it is going along the lines of obsession you would normal see for celebrities. It is sick carry on but it won't change till people stop running around after that.

This is a tragedy and no person should be killed for at the end of the day is just a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Advertisement

Is it? Social media allows a voice to be given to fringe elements. I agree it's more unlikely than in the UK but to dismiss it completely is the nonsense imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If anything it's the opposite, people just ignore them, one time it was a position of status now they are perceived as little more than oddballs and petty criminals, People talk a lot but when it comes down to it that's all it is ,talk,

Condemn what happened to Mr Amess totally

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Horrible horrible news. And people are saying that he was pro or anti whatever but just like jo cox it doesn’t matter in any way shape or form.Neither of them deserved to die because of any positions they hold. Yes you can vehemently disagree with them and voice that disagreement loudly if you want but they are human beings first and foremost and don’t deserve to die.

And that goes for Irish politicians also btw. I do disagree with many politicians here about positions they take but I’d never in a millions years even think of physically or verbally attack them.

Nobody is saying otherwise. One poster read one line of one post and started spewing shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Social media for the good that it does(and yes it does good), it’s given every gobshite a platform to say whatever they want and it’s on the same level as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Look across social media and even here at the obsession with Leo, he does anything and it is all over the web. He went to a concert and its all over the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First paragraph has no basis in reality.

Hopefully we never see a TD or any elected official attacked but if it does happen it won't because they were comfortable with shaking hands with a few people. That aside, most of the commentary we see about TD's is saying how they are so useless they shouldn't be in the job in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP to the MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh believe me there is no faux outrage going on from me in this matter of a brutal murder of man with a wife and 5 children . If one isn't genuinely outraged about something like this what can one be outraged about.

You were the one that described him as a' staunch' Brexiteer as your first thought which I'm certain you didn't mean as a positive, so don't be pinning this left/right tit for tat thing on me.

I've never heard of him but from what's been said he was one of those well liked MP's across the political divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Let me guess, politicians will not have to deal with the public in the future. Introduced just in time for further draconian restrictions and lockdowns arriving later in the year.

The event was already presented to us very quickly, even before he passed away. Perfect theatre.

Advertisement